DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 10

Options

Comments

• FuzzyDF
    FuzzyDF Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    I too want to welcome you mad. Like Sarah I've just started a DMP with SC. I cannot express in words how SC and the good people on this forum helped me to lift a massive rock off my back.

I look at the whole process as being a personal challenge for the better. Wish I'd looked into this 10 years ago. That's my only regret.
    LBM 2 June 2014
  • Kate_fixing_it
    Options

Exactly Kate I feel very excited to be changing my financial life, shame it's taken this long - hopefully I won't be too old to enjoy wages and debt freedom:)... I was raving to my dad how fantastic it feels to be blacklisted - I don't think he quite 'got it' but happy I'm happy. And the slidey gadget sounds very motivating - am definitely looking forward to that. Using ynab should, within a couple of months, show me if/what spare I have to throw at the debts.

Good news about work - and it sounds like lots to look forward to :)
    I'm lucky to get summer hols off (I'll be doing my lime scale then :eek:)

Sarah

I don't think you can quite understand the "happiness" of a default unless you are on the DMP wagon ;) DH certainly didn't! It took a lot to convince him it was a good thing for me and he's still not 100% sold on the idea. I don't know how old you are but you're NEVER too old to enjoy being debt free. From what I read on here it's like a new lease of life. I frequently get told off for being childish (mostly by my teenagers:cool:) and I'm a 36 year old mother of 4 with a DFD six years from now - God help them when them when I get there ;)

The limescale doesn't sound fun (and it wasn't at the time) but there's a massive sense of achievement to it being done. As a self- confessed procrastinator there's a real buzz about it being finished AND it's a spend free activity ;)

Today is the last day I'll have all to myself until September. DD1 has a full day of exams, DH has only just left work and has a 100 mile drive home and will be straight off to bed and the other 3 are at school. I have very little money available but I'm happy. Thinking of cleaning out kitchen cupboards today and getting some quiet time to read in the beautiful sunshine. My home has never been cleaner - nor has my mind ;)

I hope those who are just starting out on their DMPs can see this as a message of hope. Yes, I still have a five figure debt total, I'm still in mild physical pain and there are probably 5-6 years of DMP payments ahead of me but I'm only two months in and there's been a complete turnaround in my life and attitude. I don't think I've ever been this positive about the future.

Kate x
    LBM 17th Oct13 - SC DMP - DFD 10th Feb 2018
    paid pre-DMP £6146 :D paid with DMP £2275 :D F&F's £700 (£450 discount) £1,000 (£1,498.22 discount) £ 700 (489.62 discount) :D Total £9725

Current debt to repay £3,503.13 taking one day at a time
  • Kate_fixing_it
    Options
    FuzzyDF wrote: »
    I too want to welcome you mad. Like Sarah I've just started a DMP with SC. I cannot express in words how SC and the good people on this forum helped me to lift a massive rock off my back.

I look at the whole process as being a personal challenge for the better. Wish I'd looked into this 10 years ago. That's my only regret.

In the grand scheme of life it's better to regret the things you did than didn't IMO (with the exception of illegal activities!) and no situation is 100% bad. You are now learning so much that'll shape your future and potentially help others (you did it ↑↑↑ up there in the first paragraph). This forum has been a lifeline for me - I never would have spent a whole afternoon laughing at my cold-call antics if it wasn't for part 9 of this thread ;) Our pasts teach us and shape our present and future selves.

Pat yourself on the back for realising NOW and diverting from a tough and destructive path you could have continued on.

Kate x
    LBM 17th Oct13 - SC DMP - DFD 10th Feb 2018
    paid pre-DMP £6146 :D paid with DMP £2275 :D F&F's £700 (£450 discount) £1,000 (£1,498.22 discount) £ 700 (489.62 discount) :D Total £9725

Current debt to repay £3,503.13 taking one day at a time
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ooh!!!! I just checked my Barclaycard statement which was generated today and they've frozen my interest (or assume this to be the case) as there is no estimated interest shown!!! :)

Admittedly due to my reduced payments they are only getting half of what they had been recently which I'm guessing is the reason why but it's nice to see :) not that anyone told me they were freezing it LOL

Happy days!

MB of G x
  • Powered_By_Pies
    Powered_By_Pies Posts: 309 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2014 at 12:41PM
    Options
    Had a bit of an admin day yesterday.

Signed up for noddle as my experian login doesn't work any more (I haven't cancelled it but their payment timings over the last couple of months have meant I've been late with payment, so I'm wondering if they've just scrapped it - one more thing to keep an eye on if they're still taking payment).

NatWest didn't default my current and student account until mid 2013!!!! This is almost two years after I started struggling to pay then and went for a whole year on token £1 payments. So I'm annoyed about that as I thought they'd defaulted them earlier than that. So that means it won't fall off my file until 2019 :( that's a whole two world cups and Euro's away....

However checked my online DMP account and both Wonga and NatWest credit card have agreed repayment plans and frozen my accounts with them. Still awaiting the others - GP haven't even hears back from quickquid yet but apparently this is normal - a sloth on ketamine is quicker than them!

I find it laughable that one aspect of NatWest are happy to deal with it in-house but another kicked up a massive fuss and sold it to Wetscot - who are still sending me the irritating text daily and seemingly have ignored my DMP provider for now. I'm waiting for the second letter threatening to send Dave round to pilfer my TV and punch the goldfish, then I plan on coming down on them like a ton of bricks. They have to at least acknowledge I'm on a DMP and not ignore it!

A slightly exasperating day, but things are coming together! Ordered some service parts for the car so I can change things like air, oil and fuel filter myself, spark plugs are also on the list but I'm baulking at steering rack prices - £300 minimum! :eek: I'm hoping I'm just exaggerating the issue and at the next MOT they can tell me how much wear there actually is on it. Engine is first to get back to standard, then suspension. After that a few tasteful mods (I like modded cars but not your halfords special jobbies), and then I need to figure out if it's viable to sell it and use the money (and only a little bit more I've saved if necessary) to get something with a little more poke....
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    madashhay wrote: »
    Hi all
    I am just thinking of starting a DMP with Stepchange, I have applied for a new current account so just waiting for that to go through first. Just a few questions- as all the debts are mine- cc and catalogues will taking a DMP effect my partners credit rating? We are not linked financially in any way- and he covers all the bills.
    A large amount of the money I use to pay my bills is from what I earn on Ebay selling off kids old clothes/toys etc but I cant rely on it- will I be able to save some money up in my paypal and pay extra off my debts to reduce it quicker. I'm just really struggling to make payments now and need to take control before it gets worse.
    Any advice would be appreciated- TIA

Hi and welcome madashhay :hello:

You have already been given some great advice so just wanted to say hello and please stick around for any support you need.

TTFTM x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    I don't think you can quite understand the "happiness" of a default unless you are on the DMP wagon ;) DH certainly didn't! It took a lot to convince him it was a good thing for me and he's still not 100% sold on the idea. I don't know how old you are but you're NEVER too old to enjoy being debt free. From what I read on here it's like a new lease of life. I frequently get told off for being childish (mostly by my teenagers:cool:) and I'm a 36 year old mother of 4 with a DFD six years from now - God help them when them when I get there ;)

The limescale doesn't sound fun (and it wasn't at the time) but there's a massive sense of achievement to it being done. As a self- confessed procrastinator there's a real buzz about it being finished AND it's a spend free activity ;)

Today is the last day I'll have all to myself until September. DD1 has a full day of exams, DH has only just left work and has a 100 mile drive home and will be straight off to bed and the other 3 are at school. I have very little money available but I'm happy. Thinking of cleaning out kitchen cupboards today and getting some quiet time to read in the beautiful sunshine. My home has never been cleaner - nor has my mind ;)

I hope those who are just starting out on their DMPs can see this as a message of hope. Yes, I still have a five figure debt total, I'm still in mild physical pain and there are probably 5-6 years of DMP payments ahead of me but I'm only two months in and there's been a complete turnaround in my life and attitude. I don't think I've ever been this positive about the future.

Kate x
    In the grand scheme of life it's better to regret the things you did than didn't IMO (with the exception of illegal activities!) and no situation is 100% bad. You are now learning so much that'll shape your future and potentially help others (you did it ↑↑↑ up there in the first paragraph). This forum has been a lifeline for me - I never would have spent a whole afternoon laughing at my cold-call antics if it wasn't for part 9 of this thread ;) Our pasts teach us and shape our present and future selves.

Pat yourself on the back for realising NOW and diverting from a tough and destructive path you could have continued on.

Kate x

Two great inspirational posts one after the other, you are in a great mindset Kate :T

My money is on you finishing your DMP well ahead of schedule, with motivation and enthusiasm like yours, the only way is up!

TTFTM x
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Ooh!!!! I just checked my Barclaycard statement which was generated today and they've frozen my interest (or assume this to be the case) as there is no estimated interest shown!!! :)

Admittedly due to my reduced payments they are only getting half of what they had been recently which I'm guessing is the reason why but it's nice to see :) not that anyone told me they were freezing it LOL

Happy days!

MB of G x

Great news MB :j

I have found over the last 2 years that I have to guess half of the information going on with our creditors. It's a bit like Manuel from Fawlty Towers "I know nothing" :rotfl:
  • madashhay
    Options
    Puzzcat wrote: »
    Hi mad, and welcome! If you have no joint finances ie; bank accounts, mortgage etc then no your partners credit rating wouldn't be hit. It's only when you are financially associated. As for overpayments etc I suggest you read back a couple of pages as this was asked in the last day or so.
    Regards
    Puzz.x

Thanks for the advice, finally found the bit about overpayments- thought I'd read that far back. I will just save up anything I make and keep it in paypal and keep for emergencies etc. Will be nice not having to put so much on Ebay as I depend on it at the moment
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now then... Would I rather Barclaycard didn't freeze my interest and told me or freeze it and not tell me leaving me to find out for myself? LOL Easy answer!

Now I just get that default and have it backdated so those AR's either stop or are removed...

In other news, I got an email from Cheque Centre telling me a final response to my complaint has been reached and is being posted so it should arrive within then next few days!

Hand on heart, I'm not expecting a positive reply (although I'd love to be wrong) but I'm more than willing to go to the FOS with it :) so their reply has actually been quite quick, just over 4 weeks! Now I don't know if that's a good thing or not and the email says "Thank you once again for your patience while we have been investigating this. I look forward to hearing from you in due course".

I know it's easier to just wait but it's sort of exciting guessing what it might be LOL I'm pessimistic but for the "I look forward to hearing from you in due course" even if they reject my complaint do I need to accept their decision formally before going to the FOS?

Anyone ever made a complaint in which you have asked for compensation before?

MB of G x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport