DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 10

Options

Comments

• Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    Growurown wrote: »
    Evening fellow DMPers. Well after my panic last week when the check something or other light came up on my dashboard, got in the car to come home this evening and the light has gone out. Now my query is how do I react to this unexpected turn of events?

a) Woohoo no light forget all about it
    b) No light now - but it did come on - so should probably get it checked
    c) Wait for the light to reappear and then get it checked
    d) Cover said light with a sticker and deny it exists

Hmmmm........:think: :think: :think: :think:

Past experience for me makes me vote C :rotfl:
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Monkeyballs
    Monkeyballs Posts: 1,935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning GUO,

So.. Bear in mind that I don't drive and I have no scientific evidence to support this but when offered a multiple choice question I would either go with the most sensible sounding option (so option A. pour petrol on a fire to put it out is trumped by option B. pour water on a fire to put it out) but when there are several (or two as the case may be) sensible looking options then go C :)

Unless your car has a "I'm on fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiire!" light in which case I need to ask, has the light gone off or has it just melted?

Hope this helps.

MB of G xxx
  • Kate_fixing_it
    Options
    Finally plucked up the courage to call EBS (the company with the same initials as my private plate) had a chat with a lovely man who thanked me profusely but he's the only one with a company car and already has one. Well worth calling though and nice to speak to another adult ;)

Still getting quotes for it around the £4-500 mark and it'll cost £80 to get it put on a certificate (which I don't have until payday) but definitely going to do it.

Reduced SC payment has gone out so all my bills are paid now for this month. Leg is starting up a bit again but the massage has given me a huge boost and my activity levels are getting close to pre-break again - obviously not in terms of exercise but the day to day stuff is getting there. I even managed to shift the furniture in the dinong room around and deep clean it yesterday.

Next mission is finding £60 for DS2's school trip to Normandy which thanks to the DMP I'm confident I can do (he's asked for it to be his 16th birthday present) by October. Hard to believe that when I started posting on part 9 of this thread I'd stress about the £10 deposit but a few months before that I'd barely blink at a midweek top up shop for bread and milk coming to that ;) I'm feeling like a real grown up now as opposed to a child playing house.

oh and the thought of saying no doesn't terrify me anymore now that I don't blindly say yes and worry about the consequences afterwards :)

Good luck with the warning light GUO, I was always a firm advocate of option C in the past. Now I'm with secret option E - google the problem, look on YouTube to sew how to fiz it and then make and informed decision. If I'd sorted the squeaky/hissy sound from old car instead of ignoring the problem when the light went out then having a full power meltdown when the incontinence issue exploded I might be in a different situation now.

Kate x
    LBM 17th Oct13 - SC DMP - DFD 10th Feb 2018
    paid pre-DMP £6146 :D paid with DMP £2275 :D F&F's £700 (£450 discount) £1,000 (£1,498.22 discount) £ 700 (489.62 discount) :D Total £9725

Current debt to repay £3,503.13 taking one day at a time
  • ChrisMc182
    ChrisMc182 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Thats the ball rolling for my Debt Arrangement Scheme, Debt of £4600 to rid! Not alot compared to some of here but still a daunting number when you add all the debts up.

Only just off the phone and waiting on the documents for me to sign and send back but already I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me! Arranged for it to start 3 weeks from Friday allowing me to get some "Emergency" money put by and time they speak to my creditors it will be around June/August before I start the monthly payments.

My plan is to save save save, so by the I start the payments I'll be able to pay a large amount to get me started.

Already excited at the thought of doing this! Soon my money will infact actually be my money!!
  • Powered_By_Pies
    Options
    Evening fellow DMPers. Well after my panic last week when the check something or other light came up on my dashboard, got in the car to come home this evening and the light has gone out. Now my query is how do I react to this unexpected turn of events?

a) Woohoo no light forget all about it
    b) No light now - but it did come on - so should probably get it checked
    c) Wait for the light to reappear and then get it checked
    d) Cover said light with a sticker and deny it exists

Hmmmm........:think: :think: :think: :think:

Was this the emmisions light? I've forgotten.... :-s

If it is, then it's about normal. The light on my cars' dash goes on and off all the time. I'm in the process of getting mine fully overhauled as it's been a while since I've done any work to it and the lambda/o2 sensor is on my list. If I find out eht the issue with mine is I'll let you know so you can check it as a trouble-shooter.
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    ChrisMc182 wrote: »
    Thats the ball rolling for my Debt Arrangement Scheme, Debt of £4600 to rid! Not alot compared to some of here but still a daunting number when you add all the debts up.

Only just off the phone and waiting on the documents for me to sign and send back but already I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me! Arranged for it to start 3 weeks from Friday allowing me to get some "Emergency" money put by and time they speak to my creditors it will be around June/August before I start the monthly payments.

My plan is to save save save, so by the I start the payments I'll be able to pay a large amount to get me started.

Already excited at the thought of doing this! Soon my money will infact actually be my money!!

Hi and welcome Chris :hello:

You sound like you are off to a great start, any questions about anything, please just yell. I too love the idea of my money being my own again ... can't wait to decide what to spend it all on :j
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • TimeToDoIt
    TimeToDoIt Posts: 220 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Haha oh yes.... Spending money on myself..... Can't wait!
    ~~I am debt free~~
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thank you all for your input on the emissions light issue in the car. The light is still off today so at the moment I am still woohooing:D and it definitely hasn't melted MB.

Kate - congratulations on feeling grown up at last!

Chris - good luck on getting your DAS underway, liking your positive attitude:beer:
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options
    Thank you all for your input on the emissions light issue in the car. The light is still off today so at the moment I am still woohooing:D and it definitely hasn't melted MB.

Kate - congratulations on feeling grown up at last!

Chris - good luck on getting your DAS underway, liking your positive attitude:beer:

Oh one more hint that Mr TTFTM just reminded me of ... a very nice "National" mechanic once offered to take the bulb out or disconnect and hide the wire for the MOT :rotfl:
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Growurown
    Growurown Posts: 5,498 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Oh one more hint that Mr TTFTM just reminded me of ... a very nice "National" mechanic once offered to take the bulb out or disconnect and hide the wire for the MOT :rotfl:

ooh thanks this is one to remember:rotfl::rotfl:
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills