We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 10

Options

Comments

• Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    Hi,

I have been lurking on this thread for quite some time, I am 4 months into my DMP with Stepchange all going well except Barclaycard but I will save that story for another time.

I have a dilemma and as nobody knows about my plan I thought I would ask my virtual friends who had no idea of my existence until now.....

I currently work part time and am looking for a full time job - I have an interview in 2 weeks time for an admin role with a police force, I have printed all the forms out today and there is one section on finance and the reasons they want to know this. What happens if it comes down to me an A N Other will I be rejected because I have a DMP ? Thinking about cancelling the interview rather than putting myself through the trauma.

I am happy in my current role and have been for a few years so no reason to leave other than I would like more money.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

NYJF

Hey welcome and thanks for joining in, I think we all have a Barclaycard story :mad:

Great news about applying for a full-time job, I think you should go for the interview anyway as it would be good experience and you might get some tips for another job. As to the DMP effect, I'm not sure, I was excluded from applying for a role (not police) because I have 'arrangements to pay' but they were up front before I applied.

Really a DMP shouldn't exclude you from anything but now may not be the place to argue this?

I'd defo agree with antonic don't lie, plenty of people been caught out after they lied about sickness or qualifications. And why not ring them and ask about their policy, you could check with HR without saying which post you had applied for?

Good luck whatever you decide, and glad you could share it here.
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    FuzzyDF wrote: »
    Thank you for putting my mind at ease, must say I got a bit stressy about this letter; I know its probably computer generated but still.

I shall unpack my Holloway Prison bag ;)

Hey Fuzzy

Don't forget to let us know what does happen, sure it all be fine, just a computer generated letter.

Take care
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • Aloofdragon
    Options
    Morning all Happy December all x

Can I just ask a few questions I have a debt with creation for £785 and £1250 with Barclaycard, and argos card is around £1000, £1000 with Marisotsa and £6000 Barclays loan and overdraft, we are in our second month of dmp with stepchange and understand all interest isn't dropped etc but it seems creation has cleverly dropped it enough to please s/c but means I will be only clearing pennies a month of their debt and possibly will be adding to B/C, when we went into DMP I wasn't working I have now gone back to work part time but have many hours overtime plus hubby will have a rise soon as just had promotion. So our circumstances have massively improved, if we put the extra in the pot to bring the dfd down I know it is fair to pay everyone their chunk but I would prefer to clear creation and Barclaycard off first and just pay token payments to Marisota and Argos as these are with DCA so are playing nicely. I know S/C would never agree to this but my main question is if I make a payment to creation from my side to clear this amount which I would be in the position to just after Xmas would my DMP cancelled ? and also is a self managed DMP a much harder road to follow? ..
    Weightloss -36.5lb/64lb.
    Christmas savings £200/£800.
    Hol savings £300 /£500.
    Birthday savings £50 /£100.
    100 days #20 Credit union £40/£1150
  • NewYorkJetsFan1
    Options
    Morning

Thanks for the advice, I think I will go - I have nothing to lose and only experience and the possibility of a new job to gain.

I'm totally the worst fibber and would definitely have to tell them if asked, I couldn't afford to get fired for fibbing to the police !!!

Thanks
    NYJF
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options

Can I just ask a few questions I have a debt with creation for £785 and £1250 with Barclaycard, and argos card is around £1000, £1000 with Marisotsa and £6000 Barclays loan and overdraft, we are in our second month of dmp with stepchange and understand all interest isn't dropped etc but it seems creation has cleverly dropped it enough to please s/c but means I will be only clearing pennies a month of their debt and possibly will be adding to B/C, when we went into DMP I wasn't working I have now gone back to work part time but have many hours overtime plus hubby will have a rise soon as just had promotion. So our circumstances have massively improved, if we put the extra in the pot to bring the dfd down I know it is fair to pay everyone their chunk but I would prefer to clear creation and Barclaycard off first and just pay token payments to Marisota and Argos as these are with DCA so are playing nicely. I know S/C would never agree to this but my main question is if I make a payment to creation from my side to clear this amount which I would be in the position to just after Xmas would my DMP cancelled ? and also is a self managed DMP a much harder road to follow? ..

Hi Aloofdragon,

You are right with stepchange you have to treat all creditors the same, despite them not doing this to us..!!! So in effect if you were to treat them differently your dmp could be cancelled. Have you complained to BC and Creation? If not then this would be the first step, ensuring you mark the letter complaint and then after 8 weeks if you don't have a satisfactory answer you can complain to the FOS. No guarantee but Creation did lower the interest for me after intervention by the FOS.

TTFTM is the star of self managed dmp's and I'm sure she will be around shortly to advise..

Well done on the new job/increased hours. Of course you could always save the extra to put towards an emergency fund/full & finals further down the line...

Puzz. x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Aloofdragon
    Options
    Thank you lovely sound advice as always and no I haven't complained as they have initially dropped it to 1% or just under so my measly £8 payment monthly is meaning pennies are paid off the total.

I will sit and ponder further, the saving whilst owing still terrifies me but now the control is out of my hands maybe it is the wisest way to an easier life. We are enjoying the peace from debtors, I suppose it's just me being impatient as ever.
    Weightloss -36.5lb/64lb.
    Hol savings £300 /£500.
  • Time_to_face_the_music
    Options

I wouldn't settle for lowered interest, I would want it at zero plus a refund of any interest/charges made since they were notified of the DMP. Write a letter of complaint to all creditors charging interest and follow it up with the FOS if you don't get what you want. Please let me know if you need a letter template.

If you can't get interest stopped, I would go self managed. It was extremely easy for us and I played hardball with token payments of £1 for 3 months and saved the rest to pay off one full debt. All creditors accepted it, those that hadn't already stopped interest with Stepchange did so, all has been great since.

Have you checked out the NED CAB self managed DMP? I really can't recommend it highly enough:

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/dmp.asp

I found everything there that we needed and it even gives you a reference number to quote to your creditors :D

If you really want to stay with Stepchange, you could always tell a fib and say one of your family had offered to pay off some debt for you but they wanted a full debt gone and not a shared payment. Then pay it off and adjust your balance to zero online and ask Stepchange to stop the payment :o

TTFTM x
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Slothy88
    Slothy88 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Waiting for this new basic cash account to be opened is a real pain! I applied last Monday and still haven't heard anything, which means I can't send off my SC application pack. I have some direct debits due at the end of this week for CCs etc., and I want to cancel them, but because I don't have a new account set up I'm concerned - four out of my five debts are with Halifax/Barclays and those are my two accounts at the moment (one for my wages and one for bills).

I'm thinking I might have to set up my wages to go into my partners account for this month until I get sorted as I don't want all my spare cash (ha!) swallowed up. Very frustrating!
    LBM 14th November 2014 - Total debt £8,852.54
    Step Change DMP started 01 January 2015.
    DFD June 2020
    MBNA: interest frozen - Halifax CC: interest frozen - Halifax Loan: interest frozen
    Halifax O/D: interest frozen - Barclaycard: [?]

• Aloofdragon
    Aloofdragon Posts: 339 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2014 at 6:22PM
    Options
    I wouldn't settle for lowered interest, I would want it at zero plus a refund of any interest/charges made since they were notified of the DMP. Write a letter of complaint to all creditors charging interest and follow it up with the FOS if you don't get what you want. Please let me know if you need a letter template.

If you can't get interest stopped, I would go self managed. It was extremely easy for us and I played hardball with token payments of £1 for 3 months and saved the rest to pay off one full debt. All creditors accepted it, those that hadn't already stopped interest with Stepchange did so, all has been great since.

Have you checked out the NED CAB self managed DMP? I really can't recommend it highly enough:

https://nedcab.cabmoney.org.uk/dmp.asp

I found everything there that we needed and it even gives you a reference number to quote to your creditors :D

If you really want to stay with Stepchange, you could always tell a fib and say one of your family had offered to pay off some debt for you but they wanted a full debt gone and not a shared payment. Then pay it off and adjust your balance to zero online and ask Stepchange to stop the payment :o

TTFTM x

Thanks for the link and advice I will sit and read thoroughly later. I am useless with spare cash I have always spent every last penny even as a kid, so having all this spare cash sitting around now is driving me insane especially as I know every penny I spend could be paying off debts, I won't rush into things this side of new year tho and I may just say a fib to get creati0n cleared and go from there at least its a chunk paid off rather than wasted on Christmas. thanks again x
    Weightloss -36.5lb/64lb.
    Hol savings £300 /£500.
  • kalcide
    kalcide Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    can somebody tell me please, how long after you send your paperwork off to SC that you get something back from them telling you whats going on?

thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family