We've seem to have been adopted - WWYD

in Pets & Pet Care
32 replies 3.4K views
peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
22.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
Well, we seem to have a cat that has chosen to live with use. He started coming in the garden around February time, for a fuss and a bit of attention, he's very vocal and started rubbing all round my legs whenever I went in the garden. I shooed him away initially because I didn't want him upsetting my cats and dog.

He then progressed, with no encouragement from me I promise, to come in when the door was open and announcing his presence. Strangely the other animals don't seem to mind him at all.

He's now found the cat flap and is regularly letting himself in, I found him in the dogs' bed, with the dog, the other morning!

I've done the usual asking around, posters for a found cat and the paper collar, no response at all. I've also seen him being friendly with people waiting for a bus over the road, but none of them know who he is. He's clearly a domestic cat, not at all afraid of people or other animals and doesn't seem to have been mistreated.

I know I could just chuck him out and lock the cat flap, but I don't think that he'll necessarily go home, just hang around the streets. He's quite slim, a bit grubby and has a few scrapes from fighting, he looks like he's been living rough for a while, not all nice and clean and fluffy like my cats. I have given him flea drops.

Now here's the thing, he's an entire male with baubles you could hang on your christmas tree. If he's decided to stay would you have him neutered? I feel like he needs to be, he clearly fights and doesn't look too well groomed, I guess because he's too busy chasing the ladies. But at the end of the day he's not my cat.

I would hate to see a post here by someone saying 'my cat left home for 6 months and came home with no nuts, what cruel person did this to my cat'. On the other hand, if they'd have neutered him he may never have left home in the first place.

I was thinking perhaps, give him until the end of the summer, if he's still here then get him neutered, in the meantime continue to find his original owners. What do you all think?
Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear

Replies

• tea_lovertea_lover Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could you take him to a vet to be scanned for a microchip maybe? While there, you could ask them their advice about neutering. My personal opinion is that it would be a good idea, but as you say, you really need to know if he has a home somewhere else first.

It sounds as if you've done a great job so far of trying to find out, so maybe after a few more weeks you accept the inevitable and he moves in lol. I can definitely see him staying with you :)
  • antw23ukantw23uk Forumite
    510 Posts
    Hhmmm tricky one! Normally I would be annoyed with you for taking in someones pet ... my cat, although neutered always looks like stig of the dump and tries his luck with anyone who might fall for his 'I'm poor and alone .. now feed me, trick!

BUT whats likely happened is someone irresponsible has got a pet cat, no doubt loved and cared for it but not neutered it which at the first whiff of a female he has trotted off following her ... well chasing her so she is clearly knocked up and now so far from home unlikely to get back but that's another story.

If you can take on this cat and care and pay for him then I would pop him down to the vets to check for a microchip and if he isn't chipped then book him in for the chop and make room for a new bed.

Definatley have him neutered. Regardless of him actually having a home he should have been done already and anyone who says they would be annoyed at him turning back up at home ball less is just as irresponsible as his previous owners.

We have a real crisis in this country with cats over breeding and not enough homes for them. If everyone was responsible and neutered from 4-6 months of age we wouldn't be in this crisis and there wouldn't be animals suffering.

Oh and you might want to get him blood tested for FIV as he is an entire male that's been fighting and then take your vets advice on what to do if he is positive.

Good luck.
    Ant. :cool:
  • GwylimTGwylimT Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would take him to vet/a local charity who will attempt to find his owners and then carry out any medical treatment and find him a new home. We had a cat stolen a few years ago by someone on the opposite street, we only realised when one day he came home with a collar on! Apparently because he drank milk at her house we were neglecting him, but apparently giving him the runs is caring.
  • peachypricepeachyprice Forumite
    22.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies.

Duh, didn't think of getting him checked for a micro chip, I'll take him to the vet next week. Although I think if his owners were responsible enough to do that they'd have had him neutered at the same time.

He's such a loveable little rogue, I'm sure someone must be missing him, but where, goodness knows.

If he does stay I'll also get him checked for FIV.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    22.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GwylimT wrote: »
    I would take him to vet/a local charity who will attempt to find his owners and then carry out any medical treatment and find him a new home.

TBH, I wouldn't be taking him to a charity, there are far too many cats needing homes as it is, I wouldn't burden them with another mouth to feed if he's happy here, what would be the point?

His owners haven't reported him to any of the local vets/PDSA etc., so I don't really know what else they could do to find them.
  • We had a similar situation with a large black cat who looked quite well fed but took to coming in to our house. He turned up one day with a bad bite on the base of his tail so we took him to the vet. They checked him for a chip, which there wasn't so we had him neutered and treated and took him home. Our vets attitude was that he should have been neutered and the fact that he wasn't identified him as a stray.
    We found out later that he was well fed, at least three of our neighbours were also taking pity on him and feeding him:)
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly :D

• RuthnJasperRuthnJasper Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBH, I wouldn't be taking him to a charity, there are far too many cats needing homes as it is, I wouldn't burden them with another mouth to feed if he's happy here, what would be the point?

His owners haven't reported him to any of the local vets/PDSA etc., so I don't really know what else they could do to find them.

I wish everyone was as considerate and thoughtful as you when it came to animals! I can't improve on the advice above but, in similar ways to "Bob the Street Cat" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Street-Cat-Named-Bob-Streets/dp/1444737112/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401440218&sr=1-2&keywords=bob+the+street+cat), perhaps this lucky chap has landed, finally, in a happy place?

I would definitely neuter - you'd be doing the potential countless future generations of unwanted kittens a great favour; something the cat's original owner(s), if he had any, didn't consider.

I love the fact that you found the little tom snuggled up with your dog! The cat opposite, Honey, once tried that with my dog Jasper - it wasn't an experiment she chose to repeat...! :o

Best wishes, whatever you decide to do. x
  • CrabappleCrabapple Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have this morning dropped the cat that adopted us into the vet to have his balls off!

We had been putting it off though as it was a different situation - we knew who the owners were and although he has lived with us and our cats pretty much for the last 18 months they would periodically come round and ask for 'their cat' back.

Couldn't help thinking if it was their cat then they might have asked a bit more than every few months and made an effort to keep him in for a little bit so he might get used to his 'own' home. He would always be back within a day!

They finally came round and said they were moving and weren't going to take him with them so either we kept him or he went to the rescue.

We've asked the vet to check for a chip but think it is unlikely he ever went to the vet for anything.

Definitely get your cat checked for any chip - he might be many miles from his home and not reported missing near you, but if not, looks like you've gained another furry family member!
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
  • CrabappleCrabapple Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Reading that back it looks kind of like we stole a cat! We really didn't. For months we used to find him in our house curled up with our cats and would chuck him out when we fed them.

We already had 5 cats when he started pretty much living here, really didn't need another!

There was a period of about 3 weeks when we took him round to their house every night. They told us not to bother.

Yet still they would turn up on the doorstep after a few months saying how worried they had been and how they had looked everywhere for weeks. Everywhere apart from the one place they could pretty much guarantee he would be.
    :heartpuls Daughter born January 2012 :heartpuls Son born February 2014 :heartpuls

Slimming World ~ trying to get back on the wagon...
    22.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for your kind and helpful comments, I was expecting far more cruel cat-napper responses!
    I love the fact that you found the little tom snuggled up with your dog! The cat opposite, Honey, once tried that with my dog Jasper - it wasn't an experiment she chose to repeat...! :o

I walked into the kitchen and the dog was looking all pitiful, in a 'Mum, tell him, he's hogging all the bed' kind of way, he's such a soppy thing. :rotfl:
    Crabapple wrote: »

We already had 5 cats when he started pretty much living here, really didn't need another!

Ha ha, I have 5 cats already too :rotfl:
    Maybe when there are 5 in a house already all the other cats think it's open house.

I haven't been intentionally feeding him, in fact I've been quite careful to feed the others when he's not here, but there are always biscuits in bowls that he's been snaffling. Obviously if he does appear at dinner time I haven't left him out, that would be cruel and would cause fights.

So, the consensus seems to be get him chopped. I think the plan now will be to take him to the vet next week to see if he's chipped, if he isn't I'll make one last effort to find his owners, maybe widen the circle, if nobody comes forward off to the vet it is and he'll have a new place to call home.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS