MSE News: Warning: Npower's slapping ex-customers with huge bills

Options

Comments

• Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MABLE wrote: »
    But really is this fair on customers like myself who have paid their bills. I gave them monthly readings and worked out my balance and just paid it by cash back credit card as I had a qty account with them. I never once waited for the bill. Perhaps in future I should and then may be I will not have to pay a dime back.
    That's ok for those who are able to calculate there bills but the sad truth appears to be that most people just don't understand them. If an energy suppler is unable to provide a final bill within six months of leaving them then they deserve to forfeit the debt.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • andy5241
    andy5241 Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hadn't been given a gas bill since October even though I phoned on numerous occasions, so I switched in April to Ovo and this went through on the 15th of May with £669.75 still in credit. I know this is not all mine, but why oh why did they have to take another £49.25 from my bank account on the 2nd of June when I haven't got a final bill yet and my account with them was closed on the 14th of May? Its just shocking customer service all round.
  • boby-808y
    Options
    I unfortunately work for npower to my embarrassment. Our new billing system is broken and they knew this when introducing it. Due to lack of real job alternative a great number of us are stuck taking the brunt of the anger that the management team knowingly created and add too. Please go easy on us we are just trying to pay our bills.

By the way if npower put you in debt because of these errors your credit score will be affected, they only recently came out with that gem. They should have their licence taken away but then I would be out of a job and the managers who caused the problems will go on to another high paid job to make a mess of. I would never recommend npower to anyone
  • Bargainhunter83
    Options
    boby-808y wrote: »
    I unfortunately work for npower to my embarrassment. Our new billing system is broken and they knew this when introducing it. Due to lack of real job alternative a great number of us are stuck taking the brunt of the anger that the management team knowingly created and add too. Please go easy on us we are just trying to pay our bills.

By the way if npower put you in debt because of these errors your credit score will be affected, they only recently came out with that gem. They should have their licence taken away but then I would be out of a job and the managers who caused the problems will go on to another high paid job to make a mess of. I would never recommend npower to anyone

I today found out npower put a debt on my credit report. I pay them the agreed amount every month. 9 months I've waited for a direct debit to be set up. 9 months I've waited for a correct bill. Because of damn computer systems they have no record of my start readings! I'm billed on wrong tarrif. 4 months after initial complaint...nothing. 3 months after ofgem sent complaint....nothing. Currently contacting experian to find out if the incorrect debt can be removed :mad:
    Addicted to nicotine, jolly ranchers, pear drops and candy crush saga :rotfl:
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    correct me if Im wrong, but I thought dd customers were billed every 6 months, so how can it be 6 months or more?
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • davehsug
    davehsug Posts: 80 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

As you'll know, sadly over 1,000 people are already paying the price for the senior mangers' incompetence, with the loss of their jobs. When the Stoke billing site closes in a few weeks the mess is only going to get worse!
  • Bargainhunter83
    Options
    Ted55 wrote: »
    I would love to switch from Npower, but since I joined them in December 2012 (for both gas and electricity), I have not received a gas bill, nor have they taken a DD payment from my bank. Despite several phone calls to them throughout this period, and promises from them that they will sort it out, I am still waiting for a bill some year and a half from when I joined them. It's now in the hands of the Ombudsman. The Ombudsman have warned me that a large proportion of their complaints relate to Npower and although my complaint is not too complicated, they have given it an estimated time of completion fitting for a complicated case because of Npower's complaint caseload! Never known a company like it. I cannot wait to settle up and leave!

Exactly the same for me! No account set up, no correct bills. Glad I'm not alone! Let's see if they can sort it within a year...three months to go!
    Addicted to nicotine, jolly ranchers, pear drops and candy crush saga :rotfl:
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 June 2014 at 7:44AM
    Options

Appreciate your honesty but as they say dont bite the hand that feeds you.

Also during my time with NPower was trouble free except they get pestering me for meter readings even though I advised them on a monthly basis. In the end they just wore me down.
  • boby-808y
    Options
    I today found out npower put a debt on my credit report. I pay them the agreed amount every month. 9 months I've waited for a direct debit to be set up. 9 months I've waited for a correct bill. Because of damn computer systems they have no record of my start readings! I'm billed on wrong tarrif. 4 months after initial complaint...nothing. 3 months after ofgem sent complaint....nothing. Currently contacting experian to find out if the incorrect debt can be removed :mad:

Sorry to hear about this but unfortunately we are dealing with these issues often. Some one mentions the 6 month bill on DD. Its actually 3 monthly but a statement is only sent for six months. Due to the DD not being set up you will have a payment scheme set up and as I understand a credit reference mark is then create through no fault of your own but Paul Massara and his gang fualt.
  • talktalktobt
    talktalktobt Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I have had the most unplesant morning speaking Jason and then Lee at Npower this morning. We got a 'reminder' for payment for just less than £400 for a bill never received over a year and a half ago. What hit me more than anything was the terrible and threatening attitude of Npower. They used scare tactics saying that our credit file would be hit if we didn't pay & that debt collectors would come around.

We had submitted an official complaint regarding the billing system, but was promptly told by Jason that there was no complaint and we had to pay. My son wanted them to hold off any action until receipt of an official response from the official complaint... but according to him there "was no complaint there" and we had to pay straight away. This surely is such bad practice.

I have never been so angered by the attitude of any customer service representative as I was by Jason today.

I also have great exception to the 'help' to pay that has been publicised to such great extent by Npower. I asked for a payment plan and was told that this would be noted on my credit file, and that I would have to pay with an 'Arrears Card' in person at my local Post Office. So, it seems as if Npower will 'help' you fix their mistake by putting a black mark on your credit file and embarrassing the heck out of you!

We were pretty much bullied into paying. Two retirees who will miss the amount of money very much. That being said, I will ensure Npower suffer... I will be ensuring everyone I know leaves Npower ASAP and nobody joins
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure