Why is Money Expert recommending insecure sites?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
17 replies 2.8K views
TeresaKewTeresaKew Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Site Feedback
I have just purchased TomTatos from Thompson & Morgan from your site and only discovered afterwards that their site was not "verified by Visa". Surely this doesn't make sense?

Replies

• HooloovooHooloovoo Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    TeresaKew wrote: »
    I have just purchased TomTatos from Thompson & Morgan from your site

It's not my site.

You'll find the owners don't visit this community very often, if at all. If you wish to contact them, you'll have to do it via alternative methods.
    and only discovered afterwards that their site was not "verified by Visa". Surely this doesn't make sense?

Not all merchants use "Verified by VISA" and it isn't anything to worry about if you don't see it.
  • marleyboymarleyboy Forumite
    16.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is Money Expert recommending insecure sites?
    As this is the Money Saving Expert site, maybe you would be better asking at the Money expert site...http://www.moneyexpert.com/information/aboutus ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • dealer_winsdealer_wins
    7.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Strange thread lol
  • anyone sense a potential 'charge back' through untrusted site
  • tomtontomtomtontom
    7.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The site has the little padlock symbol - it is secure.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should have gone to Suttons!
  • Cade_FosterCade_Foster Forumite
    177 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have never had to enter a verified by Visa on amazon or paypal myself guess they are insecure then.;)
  • SnowTigerSnowTiger Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have just purchased TomTatos from Thompson & Morgan from your site and only discovered afterwards that their site was not "verified by Visa". Surely this doesn't make sense?

That doesn't mean the website is insecure.

Verified by Visa is extra 'security' for retailers, anyway, not for customers.

From a customer's perspective, I'd guess disputing a transaction that was VbV would, perhaps, be more difficult than one that wasn't.
  • edited 23 May 2014 at 12:36PM
    AquamaniaAquamania Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 May 2014 at 12:36PM

Important. Please read how MoneySavingExpert.com works
    We think it's important you understand the strengths and limitations of this email and the site. We're a journalistic website, and aim to provide the best MoneySaving guides, tips, tools and techniques - but can't promise to be perfect, so do note you use the information at your own risk and we can't accept liability if things go wrong.

What you need to know
    • This info does not constitute financial advice, always do your own research on top to ensure it's right for your specific circumstances - and remember we focus on rates not service.
    • We don't as a general policy investigate the solvency of companies mentioned, how likely they are to go bust, but there is a risk any company can struggle and it's rarely made public until it's too late (see the section 75 guide for protection tips).
    • We often link to other websites, but we can't be responsible for their content.
    etc. etc. etc.

No it doesn't make sense that it was not until you paid for and completed the ordering & payment process that you were not aware that the site was not Verified by Visa.

If during the purchasing process you were not happy with the site, you should have bailed out there and then before completing the transaction.

(Not that not being Verified by Visa is necessarily a security risk anyway)

8. Data Security

This Site incorporates physical, electronic, and administrative procedures to safeguard the confidentiality of your personal information, including Secure Sockets Layer ("SSL") for all financial transactions through this Site. We use SSL encryption to protect your personal information online, and we also take several steps to protect your personal information in our facilities. Access to your personal information is restricted. Only employees who need access to your personal information to perform a specific job are granted access to your personal information. We rely on third-party service providers for the physical security of some of our computer hardware. We believe that their security procedures are adequate. For example, when you visit our Site, you access servers that are kept in a secure physical environment, behind a locked cage and an electronic firewall. While we use industry-standard precautions to safeguard your personal information, we cannot guarantee complete security. 100% complete security does not presently exist anywhere online or offline.
    http://www.thompson-morgan.com/cookies-privacy-policy#data-security
  • DoshwasterDoshwaster Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never had to enter a verified by Visa on amazon or paypal myself guess they are insecure then.;)

Maybe Amazon should - it would reduce those impulse one click purchases made after a few glasses of wine.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals