We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

driving slow : your views ?

Options

Comments

• matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    nobbysn*ts wrote: »
    So you don't believe you are required to brake to enable the overtake, even though highway code 168 states you should? Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass

Like I said, it depends on the circumstances. If you don't think the truck has enough time to complete the overtake even if you brake, then braking would have no benefit. In fact it would have the opposite effect; it would make it more difficult for the truck to drop back in behind you.

Otherwise yes, maintain a steady course or slow down and let it back in.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    FWIW, the IAM course does expect you to do a commentary but will not fail you if you do a poor one or choose not to, it's considered a minor. When I did my test, aside from a commentary (which they do in a quiet part of the test - so quiet in my case all I had to describe was trees and a bend in the road), I commented on any unusual situations that I thought were worth, er, commenting on, so for example, I was waiting patiently for a cyclist to climb a hill on a narrow lane and explained that as there was not sufficient width and cyclists climbing hills could be wobbly we weren't going anywhere soon. We also had an entertaining discussion about a driver who failed to cope at every stage of crossing a mini-roundabout including giving way while on the roundabout. I'd spotted her driving was erratic and changed how I approached the junction because of it. I commented how I would not be pulling out into lane 2 to pass any lorries as the junction was close and there was not any obvious 4 second gap (2 in front, 2 behind) to pull into.

The reality is that the examiners don't need to ask much, for example, I didn't get quizzed on road signs as it was clear when I was responding to them. Same with a commentary, it is obvious if you are driving and fully aware of what is going on.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    FWIW, the IAM course does expect you to do a commentary but will not fail you if you do a poor one or choose not to, it's considered a minor.

Can I ask when you did the test? I did mine in 1992, and the examiner was very clear that a commentary was no longer required ('whatever you may have been told, Sir', so it may have been a recent change then) but that I was free to give one if I chose.

It's not mentioned on their website:

http://www.iam.org.uk/about/the-advanced-test/48-what-the-examiner-expects
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • veryoldbear
    veryoldbear Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Nope, I failed my IAM test a couple of weeks ago, and amongst my various shortcomings (including failing to drive up to the speed limit) my commentary was deemed to be inadequate. This was despite being told by the observer that I shouldn't give an extensive commentary.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I did an employer's defensive driving course a few years ago, and the commentary was very much part of the assessment.

In a relatively short drive in an urban area, a commentary can very clearly determine sheep from goats.
  • veryoldbear
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I did an employer's defensive driving course a few years ago, and the commentary was very much part of the assessment.

In a relatively short drive in an urban area, a commentary can very clearly determine sheep from goats.

Yes I did one of these. I think we were put through them because senior management kept on piling up their Company Beemers. :D
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ok, two so far then. Yes let the 40 ft'er pull out, and you shouldn't accelerate until he's back in in front of you.

Where are you going with this?...

IAM course does expect you to do a commentary but will not fail you if you do a poor one or choose not to

I did mine in 1998 and they certainly didn't. It was regarded as 'showing off' and would either get you a fantastic pass if you pulled it off, or you'd be distracted and make a stupid mistake. When/where is your advice from?
    Certainly, you should explain what you're doing, if it's something unexpected, but a commentary is NOT part of the IAM test.
  • veryoldbear
    edited 3 July 2014 at 4:19PM
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    a commentary is NOT part of the IAM test.

Well, it certainly was a couple of weeks ago.
  • IanMSpencer
    Options
    I did my IAM about a year ago. Commentary is encouraged and as mine was not up to snuff I got a minor for it.

We are told that you don't have to do them, but they are considered an important tool to get you thinking clearly about what is going on.

I think the other little thing along those lines is "don't signal unless you can see someone who might benefit from your signal."

I used to be a determined signaller, and felt that it was important to signal at all times on the basis that you don't know what you might have missed. The IAM point is that if you only signal when necessary you have to decide when it is necessary. I signal a lot less now, and it has helped my observation as I hate the thought that someone might see me not signalling and think I am one of those drivers who just can't be bothered.
  • IanMSpencer
    Options
    Richard53 wrote: »
    Can I ask when you did the test? I did mine in 1992, and the examiner was very clear that a commentary was no longer required ('whatever you may have been told, Sir', so it may have been a recent change then) but that I was free to give one if I chose.

It's not mentioned on their website:

http://www.iam.org.uk/about/the-advanced-test/48-what-the-examiner-expects
    Not a comprehensive overview that.

While the core is the same, I expect there are some features that have changed in nearly 20 years. Time for a refresh?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport