We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

driving slow : your views ?

Options

Comments

• matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    nobbysn*ts wrote: »
    Put you down as 'don't know, purely reactive on the moment' then.

The last 7 characters in your username are redundant.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • nobbysn*ts
    nobbysn*ts Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    matttye wrote: »
    The last 7 characters in your username are redundant.

Another telling response.
  • nobbysn*ts
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is getting to be an interesting question, from the way it's being avoided, and no one will commit to a response now it's a truck overtaking. Keep them coming.
  • nobbysn*ts
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, it's interesting. I was the spawn of satan when I stopped a car overtaking, and responses were very quick to that effect. But when the same situation involves a truck, it's suddenly gone very quiet? It's not a hard question. Wait for the 40 ft'er as well, yes or no?
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bod1467 wrote: »
    They actually do if you take the advanced IAM or RoSPA test (so I believe).

Can't speak for RoSPA, but the IAM used to require a commentary as part of their advanced test. They dropped it a number of years ago, and I think it's a pity. It's a great way of demonstrating to the examiner that you are observing and planning things properly, and also to explain your actions if you do something slightly different to what they expect ("I am approaching this roundabout in the right-hand lane because I will need to be in the right lane soon after the exit for a turning ahead" type of thing). Without a commentary, the examiner is to some extent guessing at your competence by what he or she observes you do, which may not be the full story.

I still sometimes do a commentary to myself for a mile or two if I am bored or feel the need to focus myself on the task. You soon get quite fluent :)

And no, not appropriate for the L test.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 July 2014 at 12:48PM
    Options
    nobbysn*ts:
    Ok, the opinion is obviously once the car behind has committed to overtake, by pulling out, I shouldn't accelerate until he's safely past, as I should enable the overtake. Seems the general consensus, and most people even quoted the highest code to prove under no circumstances should I have accelerated. So, imagine the same scenario, but it's not a car behind me, it's a truck. He pulls out. We still agree, hold back. Let him pass? Under no circumstances accelerate from the 40mph I doing until he's passed? Same scenario remember, same speeds, same overtake, same highway code. Just a truck now.
    Yes! You should. Remember, I keep giving the caveat that in your original post you were at OR NEAR the speed limit, therefore holding up whoever is behind you. THIS is the critical part that means that in my opinion, for courtesy, you should let them past. The problem with your example is that you were driving 'slow' then driving 'fast' - being under the speed limit, then racing right up to it when it changes. How's the person behind meant to know you're going to do that?
    Ok, if you object to that, it's safe to assume you'll advise accelerating then
    Don't put words in other peoples' mouths. It's only safe to assume that bod1467 doesn't want to answer! I've answered your question - enlighten me, what's so important in changing to a truck?

Richard - I disagree. People can be top notch drivers, and then it can all fall apart when they try to commentate. It adds nothing to driving. If it's needed for the police test, and I can see why it is, that's fine, but people shouldn't fail the IAM test for lack of talking. This doesn't mean you can't explain why you did or did not do something. But a commentary is an ongoing thing.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Put you down as 'don't know, purely reactive on the moment' then.

There you go again - making up your own interpretation of what someone has said. ;)

I have no comment to make regarding your real (or imagined) scenario.
  • nobbysn*ts
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ok, two so far then. Yes let the 40 ft'er pull out, and you shouldn't accelerate until he's back in in front of you.
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ok, two so far then. Yes let the 40 ft'er pull out, and you shouldn't accelerate until he's back in in front of you.

The only time I'd disagree with that is if you can see a car coming on the other side of the road and don't think the truck has enough time to complete the manoeuvre. Even then though, it's difficult to say whether you should speed up or just let the truck driver correct their own mistake by braking and slipping back behind you.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • nobbysn*ts
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    matttye wrote: »
    The only time I'd disagree with that is if you can see a car coming on the other side of the road and don't think the truck has enough time to complete the manoeuvre. Even then though, it's difficult to say whether you should speed up or just let the truck driver correct their own mistake by braking and slipping back behind you.

So you don't believe you are required to brake to enable the overtake, even though highway code 168 states you should? Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport