»

has anyone tryed this?improving broardband speed - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

has anyone tryed this?improving broardband speed

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Techie Stuff
58 replies 9K views

Replies

• espressoespresso
    16.4K posts
    Forumite
    We've got an old LJU master from mid 80's which has wiring to each of the 6 connectors.

1 Green/white
    2 Blue/white
    3 Orange/white
    4 White/orange
    5 White/blue
    6 White/green

Pairs of wires - same colour - at each connection point (I'm guessing in from BT line and out to extensions?) Is it worth disconnecting all the baggage? This socket is in our hallway and has no phones or PC connected to it - they're all connected by extension sockets!

When a line has been ADSL enabled, only the line pair is required and the other wires are not only redundant but reduce the noise margin and therefore your speed. Experiment as the wiring after the master socket is your responsibility.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • stevemcolstevemcol
    1.7K posts
    Forumite
    so......

Am I right in assuming this is not applicable if I already connect to the master and have no extensions?
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • espressoespresso
    16.4K posts
    Forumite
    stevemcol wrote: »
    so......

Am I right in assuming this is not applicable if I already connect to the master and have no extensions?

:doh:

Ask yourself this question "Which wires would I cut?"

:rotfl:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • stevemcol wrote: »
    so......

As explained above it all depends on how many wires you have connected in your master socket, you only really need wires 2 & 5 to be connected, in MOST installations wires 3 & 4 are redundant and in MOST domestic installations they can be disconnected without any problems but only if you feel confident to do so!

Ask yourself this question "Which wires would I cut?"
    You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?"
    :cool:
    I love my spell checker, it stops me making all sorts of stupid smelling mistakes. :doh:
  • stevemcolstevemcol
    1.7K posts
    Forumite
    OK, OK I get the point. it's just that everyone is banging on about messing with the master socket whereas (now I''ve properly read it) all that is being touched is the wiring from the master to the extensions which I don't believe BT have a problem with. You are allowed to DIY wire from your master socket, correct?
    I don't have any extension sockets so there's nothing I can do to improve things anyway. Talk Talk told me my Signal/Noise ratio was excellent yet I don't seem to get better than 2.5Mbs (upto 8meg service).
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • stevemcol wrote: »
    You are allowed to DIY wire from your master socket, correct?
    Yes, I understand that's correct.
    I don't have any extension sockets so there's nothing I can do to improve things anyway.
    But you don't have anything to lose by trying it, do you?
    I must admit I was very sceptical before I tried it but it worked well for me.
    I don't seem to get better than 2.5Mbs (upto 8meg service).
    My service is also "up to 8meg" but by running the BT speedtest I know that I will never be able to exceed 5meg due to line quality and line length from the exchange.
    I love my spell checker, it stops me making all sorts of stupid smelling mistakes. :doh:
  • espressoespresso
    16.4K posts
    Forumite
    Mr_Meanie wrote: »
    stevemcol wrote:
    I don't have any extension sockets so there's nothing I can do to improve things anyway.

But you don't have anything to lose by trying it, do you?

What exactly are you suggesting that he tries then?
  • espresso wrote: »
    What exactly are you suggesting that he tries then?
    I would suggest that stevemcol disconnect the wires on terminals 3 and 4 at the master socket (if they are connected) leaving just the two wires on terminals 2 and 5, as per the instructions in post 1
  • espressoespresso
    16.4K posts
    Forumite
    Mr_Meanie wrote: »
    I would suggest that stevemcol disconnect the wires on terminals 3 and 4 at the master socket (if they are connected) leaving just the two wires on terminals 2 and 5, as per the instructions in post 1

There will be no wires on 3 & 4 of the master socket because he has no extensions wired to the master socket.

:rolleyes:
  • I think that would depend on when and who wired in the orignal consumer side cable to the master socket (BT or DIY) and if it's hard wired in or an rj45 type plug and extension lead used.
    As I understand it wire 3 is/was the "bell-wire" which was used for the old fashion phones with electromechanical bells in and as for wire 4 nobody seems to know what it was ever used for, not even the BT engineer I asked!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms