IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

ParkingEye Get the Chop in St Albans Court: No Standing

Options

Comments

• nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I can't find the figures at the moment but how large a proportion of the total number of cases per year in the small claims track do PE's 8-10000 amount to? What percentage of the actual hearings are PE cases?
  • bazster
    bazster Posts: 7,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    born_3 wrote: »
    I would take both these comments with a huge dose of NaCl (all articles about PE mention "...fines...". I really can't see James "24 houses" Clappison getting involved in this.

But, does this ruling mean that anyone who's been "done" by PE in B'wood retail park (or whatever they're calling it this week) can appeal and claim back any money they've given PE?

Huh? What would you take with NaCl? That the Borehamwood Times has been tipped off? Well I happen to be very intimately connected with the little birdy and the tip-off has most certainly been delivered. That the Borehamwood Times would be interested? Well you'd be wrong again, they've published lots of articles about this site.

All of the press love to use the word "fines". It's a short, punchy, emotive word and the more the press use it the better as far as I'm concerned, it has an impact.

I don't suppose the MP for Hertsmere will take a huge interest in anything the little birdy sends him since he's not the little birdy's MP, but the small avian has a thick file of correspondence with the MP for St Albans who is most certainly interested in these matters (and all the more so since she will want the little birdy's vote in less than a year).
    Je suis Charlie.
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hot_Bring wrote: »
    Be careful, Parking Eye might accuse you of a vendetta against them ;)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Je suis Charlie.
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nigelbb wrote: »
    I can't find the figures at the moment but how large a proportion of the total number of cases per year in the small claims track do PE's 8-10000 amount to? What percentage of the actual hearings are PE cases?
    There were, according to the MoJ, approx 1,400,000 claims issued in England & Wales in 2013. Of these, beween 3 and 3.5% end up in a hearing.

PE issued around 13,500 claims last year, which is just under 1% of the total.

There is no possibility of them being declared a vexatious litigant, as they have won a large number of cases.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Vandeman
    Options
    Hi - I am a new user - I keep seeing replies advising new users to go to the Newbies thread - but I cannot see how to find that. please help
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Vandeman wrote: »
    Hi - I am a new user - I keep seeing replies advising new users to go to the Newbies thread - but I cannot see how to find that. please help

Here you go.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

Please start your own thread for advice.
  • bazster
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The little birdy tells me that the Borehamwood Times has already been contacted by the defendant and they are onto it.
    Je suis Charlie.
  • hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    bargepole wrote: »
    There were, according to the MoJ, approx 1,400,000 claims issued in England & Wales in 2013. Of these, beween 3 and 3.5% end up in a hearing.

PE issued around 13,500 claims last year, which is just under 1% of the total.

There is no possibility of them being declared a vexatious litigant, as they have won a large number of cases.

They are clearly not vexatious litigants. However, the way they act is against the overriding objectives of the practice directions, given here.

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/part01#1.1

(2) Dealing with a case justly and at proportionate cost includes, so far as is practicable –
    (a) ensuring that the parties are on an equal footing;
    (b) saving expense;
    (c) dealing with the case in ways which are proportionate
    (i) to the amount of money involved;
    (ii) to the importance of the case;
    (iii) to the complexity of the issues; and
    (iv) to the financial position of each party;
    (d) ensuring that it is dealt with expeditiously and fairly;
    (e) allotting to it an appropriate share of the court’s resources, while taking into account the need to allot resources to other cases; and
    (f) enforcing compliance with rules, practice directions and orders.

The courts can do something about all that, if they have a mind to.
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hoohoo wrote: »
    They are clearly not vexatious litigants.
    Vexatious litigants are often not to put too fine a point on it bonkers however PE do seem to tick all the boxes in the classic definition of a vexatious litigant given by Lord Bingham

“Vexatious is a familiar term in legal parlance. The hallmark of a vexatious proceeding is in my judgment that it has little or no basis in law (or at least no discernible basis); that whatever the intention of the proceeding may be, its effect is to subject the defendant to inconvenience, harassment and expense out of all proportion to any gain likely to accrue to the claimant; and that it involves an abuse of process of the court, meaning by that a use of the court process for a purpose or in a way which is significantly different from the ordinary and proper use of the court process”.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    That would seem to describe PE's actions perfectly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure