Amazon Logistics (rant)

Options

Comments

• Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    I expect they will. Amazon will do what they can as long as it fits their model.
    However there is always a market towards the cheaper end.
    Folks buy cheap then moan they dont get premium service.

As I said before amazon isnt cheap. They run it cheaply, that I agree with, but the consumer is paying a premium for a budget service.

e.g.

I can get next day DPD delivery of a gtx 1070 for free from ocuk, (free for all registered forum members on their site).
    If I am not a forum member it costs £7.99
    Same card from amazon if I am a prime member (monthly subscription cost), is inclusive next day delivery from budget provider amazon logistics. Or if I am not a prime member costs £7.99 same as ocuk.

Do you agree £7.99 is not cheap for a next day service?

The £7.99 is not the only part of the fee tho. Products that dont qualify for prime are often cheaper, suppliers have to pay amazon to have their product dispatched by them (prime enabled), this is added to the price of the product and is another part of their delivery fee.

Now if amazon charged say £1 for next day or if it was free to "everyone" I would see where you coming from.
  • Chrysalis
    Options
    I expect they will. Amazon will do what they can as long as it fits their model.
    However there is always a market towards the cheaper end.
    Folks buy cheap then moan they dont get premium service.

Lets hope this is what they working towards, I dont think I am the only customer in the UK who isnt happy with amazon logistics, they have probably had a fair amount of negative feedback.

Even a 4 hour window would be a massive improvement.

Super saver delivery fine, provide a crap service, no issue with that, but their prime service should be better and hence my comments.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 December 2017 at 10:01AM
    Options
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    As I said before amazon isnt cheap. They run it cheaply, that I agree with, but the consumer is paying a premium for a budget service.

e.g.

I can get next day DPD delivery of a gtx 1070 for free from ocuk, (free for all registered forum members on their site).
    Same card from amazon if I am a prime member (monthly subscription cost), is inclusive next day delivery from budget provider amazon logistics. Or if I am not a prime member costs £7.99 same as ocuk.

The £7.99 is not the only part of the fee tho. Products that dont qualify for prime are often cheaper, suppliers have to pay amazon to have their product dispatched by them (prime enabled), this is added to the price of the product and is another part of their delivery fee.

Now if amazon charged say £1 for next day or if it was free to "everyone" I would see where you coming from.

Not sure of your point,but anyway

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Gigabyte+NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+1050+Ti+4GB+G1+GAMING+Graphics+Card

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-g1-gaming-4gb-gddr5-graphics-card-768-core-1366mhz-gpu-1480mhz-boost

£7 cheaper at Amazon. Just an example that comparing one item to suit your view doesnt really fly.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-mini-8gb-gddr5-vr-ready-graphics-card-1920-core-1518mhz-gpu-1708mhz-boost

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zotac-NVIDIA-GeForce-1070-Graphics/dp/B01LLAJ8PU/ref=sr_1_57?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1512464215&sr=1-57&keywords=gtx+1070

£30 odd quid cheaper on preorder
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    edited 5 December 2017 at 12:11PM
    Options

e.g.

The point is, if you want next day delivery with a 1 hour ETA then you pay £7.99 for it.

If you want free delivery then prepare to have it delivered by budget service courier company. You can't expect to pay for lemonade and receive champagne!

And as for Amazon having different prices for Prime and non-Prime customers, that's absolute nonsense! I can search for any product without being logged in, then I go to purchase and log-in and it's EXACTLY the same price. The only difference is I get free next day delivery on Prime.

Third party sellers can often appear to be cheaper than other sources but once you take into account their postage charges then it usually works out to be around the same price.

You don't have to have many deliveries to recoup the Prime membership fee. In fact you don't have to have any deliveries at all as there are huge savings to be had purely from the video and music side of the membership.

I'm not really sure what you're complaining about. The service you require is already provided by several logistics companies as long as you're prepared to pay the delivery fee.

You'll never get the same service by opting for free 3-5 day delivery service. In order to improve delivery options, the poor couriers are being squeezed more and more by having their parcel rates slashed and being expected to deliver far more parcels per day, hence why they have a 12-14 hour delivery window.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »

And as for Amazon having different prices for Prime and non-Prime customers, that's absolute nonsense!

Not strictly true as Amazon do offer some items, for a limited time only, at a "Prime members price". I've bought quite a few toys with these offers and the discounts have been pretty good.

One example was the My Little Pony Crystal Castle. Bought at special price at £16.49, currently £27.69 on Amazon and £24.99 at Smyths Toys.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    Not strictly true as Amazon do offer some items, for a limited time only, at a "Prime members price". I've bought quite a few toys with these offers and the discounts have been pretty good.

One example was the My Little Pony Crystal Castle. Bought at special price at £16.49, currently £27.69 on Amazon and £24.99 at Smyths Toys.

Oh of course Prime members get offers and further discounts. I was never disputing that. It was Chrysalis who was claiming items offered on Prime are actually more expensive than non-Prime to subsidise the free postage.
  • Chrysalis
    edited 5 December 2017 at 4:46PM
    Options

Why are you checking scan uk? and shame on those who thanked your post also without verifying your facts.

Card is £368 on amazon
    But how much is it on ocuk (not scan)? Same price £368
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-mini-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-zt-p10700g-10m-gx-10r-zt.html

So both £368 + 7.99 delivery, but one is delivered by DPD and the other amazon logistics. DPD is free if you take 5 mins to register on OCUK forum, no subscription fee needed.

The fact 2 people thanked your post is more shocking then the post itself, shows how often people thank because their friend made the post or want to defend something without actually verifying if said post is correct.

Why did you check scan uk when I said ocuk? the only reason I could think off you realised I was right, but still felt you had to make me look wrong somehow.

It is a fact that amazon's next day delivery is premium priced, you could maybe argue its cheap if you have a "lot" of dispatches diluting the revenue per cost to amazon alongside a prime subscription. However where I was misleading is when I said all prime items have a premium on top, the items sold directly by amazon are often priced competitively, the prime tax is usually only immediately noticeable when a 3rd party is the seller but utilises prime, in those cases there is nearly always a price premium to pay for it given that the seller has to pay amazon for the prime label.

Is a shame as your recent posts were coming round, but you seem to have reverted to defending amazon mode.
  • custardy
    Options
    Why are you checking scan uk? and shame on those who thanked your post also without verifying your facts.

Card is £368 on amazon
    But how much is it on ocuk (not scan)? Same price £368
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-mini-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-zt-p10700g-10m-gx-10r-zt.html

So both £368 + 7.99 delivery, but one is delivered by DPD and the other amazon logistics. DPD is free if you take 5 mins to register on OCUK forum, no subscription fee needed.

The fact 2 people thanked your post is more shocking then the post itself, shows how often people thank because their friend made the post or want to defend something without actually verifying if said post is correct.

Why did you check scan uk when I said ocuk? the only reason I could think off you realised I was right, but still felt you had to make me look wrong somehow.

It is a fact that amazon's next day delivery is premium priced, you could maybe argue its cheap if you have a "lot" of dispatches diluting the revenue per cost to amazon alongside a prime subscription. However where I was misleading is when I said all prime items have a premium on top, the items sold directly by amazon are often priced competitively, the prime tax is usually only immediately noticeable when a 3rd party is the seller but utilises prime, in those cases there is nearly always a price premium to pay for it given that the seller has to pay amazon for the prime label.

Is a shame as your recent posts were coming round, but you seem to have reverted to defending amazon mode.

night shift working plus mention of forum membership/free delivery.
    Which scan also do.
    you do like to make a big conspiracy out of stuff,huh?

coming round? Get over yourself

if you want to go with facts,what you really mean is...
    but one is delivered by DPD and the other maybe delivered by amazon logistics.
  • Chrysalis
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    The point is, if you want next day delivery with a 1 hour ETA then you pay £7.99 for it.

If you want free delivery then prepare to have it delivered by budget service courier company. You can't expect to pay for lemonade and receive champagne!

And as for Amazon having different prices for Prime and non-Prime customers, that's absolute nonsense! I can search for any product without being logged in, then I go to purchase and log-in and it's EXACTLY the same price. The only difference is I get free next day delivery on Prime.

<snip>

You do realise right that the next day £7.99 option for non prime members is exactly the same as the inclusive option for prime members?

So if you not a prime member, you want next day, you pay amazon £7.99, you get no 1 hour window for your £7.99

Not sure why you posted what you did as its just really wrong.

The only free delivery on amazon is the super saver on selected products and arrives within 5 days or something, there is NO free next day delivery option on amazon. Prime subscription costs money, the delivery may be "inclusive", but it isnt "free".

So given I in THREE different posts educated people on here that amazon next day is "PREMIUM PRICED", please explain why you made this comment, as it all it shows is a lack of respect for the time I have spent explaining things, you either didnt read my posts or chose to disregard them, which is it? Yes I get ratty when people post FUD and act like trolls.

To repeat £7.99 is not free or cheap. Unless maybe they delivering large furniture or something for that price.

Clearly misunderstood me.

I never said there is prices to different customers. I said that if you compare different sellers, one's that are on the prime program and use amazon's warehouse for distribution consistently have higher prices as there is effectively a prime tax. The exception is products amazon sell direct. Amazon are not alone in this tho its a common trick with retailers, they have a combined cost they want for product + postage, but different strategies in how to display that cost.

So as an example you might have 3 options from 3 different sellers.

£6 with free delivery (prime)
    £5 with free delivery
    £3 with £2 delivery fee. Total £5.
  • custardy
    Options

I never said there is prices to different customers. I said that if you compare different sellers, one's that are on the prime program and use amazon's warehouse for distribution consistently have higher prices as there is effectively a prime tax. The exception is products amazon sell direct. Amazon are not alone in this tho its a common trick with retailers, they have a combined cost they want for product + postage, but different strategies in how to display that cost.

So as an example you might have 3 options from 3 different sellers.

£6 with free delivery (prime)
    £5 with free delivery
    £3 with £2 delivery fee. Total £5.

So you have decided the only reason a seller picks a price is to punish buyers for using Prime?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback