Grant of Confirmation

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
83 replies 41K views

Replies

• RBN_800RBN_800 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi to all who have posted on this and associated threads.

I am currently going through the process of applying for Confirmation on my late mother's estate, and have spent the past few days reading over the posts and have learnt quite a lot.  I am dealing with what will be classed as a large estate, although it is nowhere near the IHT threshold, and it is a simple and straightforward will.  I am getting close to committing to submit the forms and paperwork to the Sheriff Clerk, and keep being put off by reading of everyone's experience of having the forms returned to them for one pedantic reason or another, and re-visit to check what I have entered on the forms myself.

Having the forms returned once or twice on points of detail will only be a minor inconvenience to me as the bank have released the funds held at date of death on sight of the will and death certificate, so there is working capital in the executor's account from which to pay any debts, however my question to those of you who have had forms returned is this:  Do you have to pay a fee every time you re-submit the forms, or is it a one off fee?  If the former applies, then it is a daunting task to ensure correctness, and it will be damaging to the estate if charged for repeated failures, which as executor of, I have a duty of care towards, whereas if the latter applies then it is only time that is of concern.

All comments welcome.
  • pw6253pw6253 Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hello there.
    There is no additional fee to pay. It is a pretty straightforward process once you fill in the forms. The court was very helpful in my case, even allowing for corrections to be done there and then.
  • pw6253pw6253 Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    If you require help with each section, just let me know and I will give you the general answer to what was on my confirmation application form.
  • RBN_800RBN_800 Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    pw6253 said:
    Hello there.
    There is no additional fee to pay. It is a pretty straightforward process once you fill in the forms. The court was very helpful in my case, even allowing for corrections to be done there and then.
    pw6253 said:
    If you require help with each section, just let me know and I will give you the general answer to what was on my confirmation application form.

Thanks pw6253.  Knowing they don't charge a fee for re-submitting is quite a relief.  I will take you up on your kind offer to let me have sight of what you had on your form though - I'll send you a PM.
  • McNicollrMcNicollr Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi pw6253 I am presently completing the C1 forms for my late husband’s estate and finding it very daunting. Would it be possible to have sight of what you had on your form please? It would be very helpful to me thanks. 
  • pw6253pw6253 Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Sure, PM me your email address and I will send you what you need.
  • dougstergdougsterg Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    Hi everyone, I hope some kind member can assist me.
    With the help of TcpnT, Bartok67 and PW6253, I have got to the final stages and nearing my goal of C1&C5 form completion prior to submition. Could anyone inform what I am doing wrong when trying to input the figures into section 11, 'Summary of estate' as box A not allowing me to input anything as it looks like it should autosum 11.1 to 11.7 but for some reason not? I have inputted a sum into 11.1, 11.4 and put the funeral costs into section B, total liabilities. Ready to give up and fill in the rest with a pen!
    Thanks in advance for any assistance. 
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a guess, but do you need to put a zero into any of the boxes where you haven't yet put anything?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • dougstergdougsterg Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    SavvySue I had tried that also :-) 
    All the other boxes have a blue hue apart from A, C, and E which are neutral and not letting me input anything. Everything before this section is all tick boxes so I'm stumped?
  • TcpnTTcpnT Forumite
    237 posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    I just downloaded the form and tried it and I see exactly the same result as you. I seriously wonder whether the form is meant to do the calculations for you or perhaps that part of the downloaded form functionality is broken. It's a very simple form - if it was me I would just print out the blank form and fill it in by hand.
    One further possibility is that the auto calculations only work when opened in specific software. Perhaps it has to be Acrobat rather than just Acrobat Reader.?