Grant of Confirmation

Options

Comments

• squareslice
    Options
    buddy9 said:
    I have been putting off doing the C1 form for my mum, since September and without this forum I would have kept putting it off - I have ready numerous threads and taken notes from all of them and I can't thank the people who contribute enough, Buddy is a literal angel! 
    My mums is pretty simple, a house fully paid off and ready to sell and a bank account with nothing in it as she paid for her funeral just before she died. I have put down for her contents etc too but its all less than £200k. My only question is now doqueting - I saw a thread with something mentioned and for the life of me I just can't find it, I have favourited so many. I am going to go into Glasgow with all the documents. In terms of the will - do I just do a covering style page and docquet on that? What do I write? Do I docquet the death certificate? I printed off the title details for the house - do I submit that too and docquet? Have I forgotten anything? Stupid question but I have filled in the C1 form online, do I just print off without my signature and date, take it with me and sign when I hand into the court? I am assuming I can pay when I am there. 
    They really don't make this easy do they?
    Thanks in anticipation. 

The docket is written on the will. See example here.

Do not docket the death certificate. Do not submit title deeds.

Sign and date the C1 once it is completed. The date needs to be the same as the date on the will docket.

Payment is normally taken when the C1 is approved but the Glasgow experience is likely to be different than others’ experiences reported on this forum, due to Glasgow being busier than many other courts.

can't thank you enough - your help is so appreciated!
  • crashedandcool
    crashedandcool Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm needing an indentical copy of the originally issued confirmation document and a cerificate of one of the Inventory items. I want it to look just like the original ones I received when confirmation was granted. I'd like it to be for full legal purposes, but I'm having trouble in what to ask for i.e. copy/duplicate/certified/extract. The Sheriff court isn't being specific enough. I don't want someone that says copy on it or can't be used legally. Can anyone advise?
  • buddy9
    buddy9 Posts: 456 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm needing an indentical copy of the originally issued confirmation document and a cerificate of one of the Inventory items. I want it to look just like the original ones I received when confirmation was granted. I'd like it to be for full legal purposes, but I'm having trouble in what to ask for i.e. copy/duplicate/certified/extract. The Sheriff court isn't being specific enough. I don't want someone that says copy on it or can't be used legally. Can anyone advise?
    You should be able to request a duplicate Confirmation from the issuing court which will have the same legal status as the original. The duplicate will be signed and sealed and is likely to be marked ‘Duplicate confirmation issued [date]’.
  • crashedandcool
    crashedandcool Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    buddy9 said:
    You should be able to request a duplicate Confirmation from the issuing court which will have the same legal status as the original. The duplicate will be signed and sealed and is likely to be marked ‘Duplicate confirmation issued [date]’.

I basically have two options Copy or duplicate confirmation or Certified extract confirmation and will 
    Is there any point getting the certified extract?
  • buddy9
    Options
    A certified extract confirmation contains an extracting clause and certificate of authentication. It is used to uplift foreign estate.
  • tilda7
    tilda7 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you to all on this forum especially Buddy9. I have been studying it along with the hmrc notes on filling in the form C1 ( 2022) Because of all the help on here I think I am now ready to submit the C1 to court but I have 2 questions if anyone can help. The value of the estate is not far off  the excepted estate with transferable nil rate band limit (there is only one non exempt gift which I've added to the gross value of the estate for iht) In a post on pge 47 Buddy9 queried another forum user as to whether the estate in that case was close to iht territory ( it was not ) and I'm just wondering why that query was raised in case I'm missing something ? ( if a form iht 400 was required , then I understand at that stage an application could be made for RNRB ) Also I am using the C1 with the continuation sheets 4 of which are just carrying forward the balance ( ie only pages 3,4,5 have details of the estate ) I'm presuming you just send them all in to the court anyway ? 
  • buddy9
    Options
    tilda7 said:
    Thank you to all on this forum especially Buddy9. I have been studying it along with the hmrc notes on filling in the form C1 ( 2022) Because of all the help on here I think I am now ready to submit the C1 to court but I have 2 questions if anyone can help. The value of the estate is not far off  the excepted estate with transferable nil rate band limit (there is only one non exempt gift which I've added to the gross value of the estate for iht) In a post on pge 47 Buddy9 queried another forum user as to whether the estate in that case was close to iht territory ( it was not ) and I'm just wondering why that query was raised in case I'm missing something ? ( if a form iht 400 was required , then I understand at that stage an application could be made for RNRB ) Also I am using the C1 with the continuation sheets 4 of which are just carrying forward the balance ( ie only pages 3,4,5 have details of the estate ) I'm presuming you just send them all in to the court anyway ? 

In your position I would omit the four blank inventory pages and renumber pages 10 and 11. (some legal professionals do not use the C1 inventory pages at all and find it easier to include the inventory as a separate spreadsheet).

If you are confident about IHT allowances etc. I don’t think the page 47 comment will be relevant.

• tilda7
    tilda7 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Buddy9 thank you so much not just for your prompt reply to my query ( which has reassured me ) but also for all the helpful advice you have shared. I really appreciate it. I am going to try and take the C1 to court this week and will let you know how I get on . Thanks again.        
  • ETSL21
    ETSL21 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I am looking for some advice about the importance of  'Balance as at Date of Death including interest'  when dealing with the banks as Executor.  I had received date of death figures from the bank before I found out that my Dad had an online account with Marcus and this was a 'linked' account and they said they could transfer the balance with them back into the linked bank account.  I thought this sounded more straightforward and one less certificate required.  But now I have a Date of Death balance including interest that does not match the balance in the account.  Now I am not sure how I show/record the balance on the C1.

Any help with this much appreciated.  TIA
  • buddy9
    Options
    ETSL21 said:
    I am looking for some advice about the importance of  'Balance as at Date of Death including interest'  when dealing with the banks as Executor.  I had received date of death figures from the bank before I found out that my Dad had an online account with Marcus and this was a 'linked' account and they said they could transfer the balance with them back into the linked bank account.  I thought this sounded more straightforward and one less certificate required.  But now I have a Date of Death balance including interest that does not match the balance in the account.  Now I am not sure how I show/record the balance on the C1.

Any help with this much appreciated.  TIA

I think for the purpose of the inventory that you need to enter all accounts held at date of death and the balance at date of death, even though some balances have now changed.

If an account balance is substantially more than the date of death balance, I wonder if perhaps details could be included similar to the example below. Be aware that these are just my thoughts rather than established practice.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback