If a local restaurant serves halal meat without advertising it

Options
If a local restaurant serves halal meat without advertising it in their menus or signs etc. is this breaking any regulations?

Comments

• nodiscount
    nodiscount Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 2 May 2014 at 1:07PM
    Options
    I thought it was a while since there were any 'I hate halal' threads.

Why does it matter? It's not dirty or something you know.

If you think it's cruel why do you eat meat? Stunned animals suffer too. In any case most of the halal meat sold in Europe is stunned anyway.
  • PenguinJoshy
    PenguinJoshy Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 2 May 2014 at 1:22PM
    Options
    No problem, just curious with all this Subway fuss atm.

For what it's worth I believe all meat should be accordingly advertised.

I don't think it's cruel etc. just don't want any faith or religion forced upon me.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No problem, just curious with all this Subway fuss atm.

For what it's worth I believe all meat should be accordingly advertised.

I don't think it's cruel etc. just don't want any faith or religion forced upon me.

No one is forcing any faith or religion on you if you eat Halal, it doesn't turn you into a Muslim.

If you don't believe in any Gods/religion then it is no different to you than somebody saying nursery rhymes over it when it's killed.
  • pablakeman
    pablakeman Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/new-eu-rules-require-compulsory-labelling-of-halal-meat-2006114.html

As far as I can tell it should be labelled. It was discussed in parliament in 2012 but I can't find results from that, despite this EU directive.

And whether you are against it or not, of course you have a right to know where your meat comes from!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If a local restaurant serves halal meat without advertising it in their menus or signs etc. is this breaking any regulations?

Are they offering any kind of deal on it?

Otherwise, this is well outside the remit of this board!
  • sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    Options
    pablakeman wrote: »
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/new-eu-rules-require-compulsory-labelling-of-halal-meat-2006114.html

As far as I can tell it should be labelled. It was discussed in parliament in 2012 but I can't find results from that, despite this EU directive.

And whether you are against it or not, of course you have a right to know where your meat comes from!

As of feb this yeaar it didnt have to. Your article is from 2010 have you got ond from after feb 2014
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
  • pablakeman
    pablakeman Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sharnad wrote: »
    As of feb this yeaar it didnt have to. Your article is from 2010 have you got ond from after feb 2014

No I don't and I struggled to find one, hence my saying that I am not sure. You would think this information would be a lot easier to find!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    pablakeman wrote: »
    No I don't and I struggled to find one, hence my saying that I am not sure. You would think this information would be a lot easier to find!
    I presume that means it's not compulsory (as yet), and labelling something as Halal is probably similar to labelling things as Organic - it's a way to get more people to buy it.

If a local restaurant serves organic meat without advertising it, are they breaking the law?
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • Chrisca50
    Chrisca50 Posts: 963 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can anyone tell me why halal meat is being used so much now though after all these decades of using the usual way of slaughter? Is it a cheaper way - that's the usual reason behind big companies using one thing against another - profit!
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    nodiscount wrote: »
    Why does it matter? It's not dirty or something you know.

It does matter to Christians and Sikhs who are forbidden from eating food killed in the name of a false idol
    Zebras rock
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport