I'm going to join the world of cat owners!!!!

Options

Comments

• gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Derek looks lovely!

I shouldn't be allowed to look on adoption websites, I want them all :-)
    Cicely and Gwendoline are gorgeous, I'd have them in a heartbeat if I had the space.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,611 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    He's a 3 year old so should have no trouble using a litter tray (indeed I am sure he has one in his RSPCA pen), he'll just need to learn where it is etc and i'm sure will use it quite happily.

If you do decide on a collar, don't touch the "safety elastic" ones with a bargepole.

A quick release safety buckle collar is the only way to go.
  • xnatillyx
    xnatillyx Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh what a handsome fella
    Derek is, congratulations. We don't have collars on any of ours,
    we did when Salem was a kitten but we found him with it stuck
    in his mouth one day so after that we've never bothered with them.

Our cat is called Salem (Good name :D)

This whole thread is just so awwwww i love it.

Martin i loved how meeting Derek went , he sounds like a wonderful
    cat.Our cat is a little black one and other than his black fur getting everywhere he is wonderful , i have never known such a fussy cat.
    The second we get home his little face lights up when he sees us
    again :) I peeked at the main rspca site and it breaks my heart seeing so many little black cats. Sadly ours needs all the attention on him and isn't good with other cats otherwise i would have all of them.

I hope Derek settles in well. All cats need is the basics - food ,water, a place to poop and lots of love and they are happy. Salem also loves sitting in windows and looking at the world outside. He is a little devil though , he will try to eat anything and i mean anything but he is just so cute & loving he means the world to me.
    I am defintley a cat lady , i am a bit obsessed and i would have millions of cats if i could :p

Nice to see a few cat men here. My fiance is a big softie when it comes to animals and he is amazing with Salem. Maybe even better than me sometimes.This whole thread is lovely , cat people are the best :D:D

Here is a pic of my Salem
    http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh562/natalie_collins1/2014-02-24003116_zpsbd236386.jpg
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
  • martin2345uk
    martin2345uk Posts: 907 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What a cutie! Named after the cat in Sabrina the Teenage Witch by any chance??
  • xnatillyx
    xnatillyx Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a cutie! Named after the cat in Sabrina the Teenage Witch by any chance??

All i could think of for a male black cat was Shadow or Salem and yeah i used to like Salem in Sabrina and turns out it really does fit with him.
    I think other than the talking it he is a bit like Salem from the show.
    :D

A long story but at first until he had 'developed' shall we say we had no clue what gender he was. We got him from a relative and he never mentioned it.
    For a couple of months we thought he was a she :o and he was called Ebony for a while. I really liked that name as well but i am glad he was male so he could be called Salem.
    It is an awesome cat name. :cool:
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
  • lisajane8482
    lisajane8482 Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    Options
    Our's is called Salem becuase of Sabrina, OH named him, and I'm sure given half the chance he would plot to take over the world. He too likes eating anything, his favourites are carrier bag handles and anything made of elastic.
    This is my Salem
    f44253bb-26ab-430f-be6d-5063cb81ce9c_zps0e117fd3.jpg

Toy wise tinfoil balls are a firm favourite with all of ours, so much so that as soon as they hear tinfoil they're there waiting.... only thing is we go through it like theres no tomorrow.
  • rustyboy21
    rustyboy21 Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Martin

Welcome to the world of being owned ! Have been through exactlt the same as you 12 months aqo and got our little handful from Freshfield Animal Sanctuary in Formby. She was a year old, found in a shed with 6 kittens. Is a Tabby and was as thin as a rake when we got her. Now she doesn't stop eating and rules the house. I get bounced on at 3 am wanting food and wake up some mornings to a little present on the landing carpet. Last week it was a dead Blackbird ! week before was a dead mouse, 3 previous times was squeaking that woke me, to find a live mouse running around the landing trying to evade her paws.

She has just had a mad 1/2 hour playing with a furry sausage shaped catnip toy, which has been left alone for 3 months, but decided it was time to play with it, She was Stoned off her face ! lol.

She wears a collar with a bell on it, mainly to give ample noise prior to catching anything, but it is one of the safety buckle ones which snap open ( had to rescue it 3 times from the trees, so they do work safely).

Just get the essentials and work up from there.
    Cat carrier ( you wont be supplied with one on collecting her) The range are good for these.
    shallow food bowls
    cat food ( Supermarkets all have offers on every few weeks, get dry too)
    litter tray ( The range)
    some cheap chase toys ( The Range)
    Something to sleep in ( The Range)

Don't forget to get him registered with a Vet asap, they will do a check over to make sure ok.
    Also Pet insurance ( Petplan here £14 a month for hers)

I have always had dogs, this is the first cat in years and they are different. You will get to know his little foibles. Just hopefully he is not that bad with catching little 'Gifts ' for you !
    I am away with work for 4 days next month. I am dreading the telephone call from OH saying she has brought something in ! I am 100 miles away and not able to drive back. She will do it to spite me, just watch ! lol
  • martin2345uk
    martin2345uk Posts: 907 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks Rusty! Are you a shareholder at the Range?? :-p hehe

Well I didn't get a call today from the RSPCA about the home inspection... might give them a bell tomorrow to ask about possible timelines...

I know I'm probably being impatient... just don't want Derek to be at the cattery any longer than he needs to be!!!

:A
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I cant wait till you get him! so excited for you!
    echo what some of the others have said - don't buy expensive cat houses etc until you and Derek are comfortable together - and you will have some idea of if he will enjoy them.
    a cardboard box is many cats idea of heaven so look for something like an egg carton (the big box all the little egg boxes come in) - take the flaps off the top, cut a little flap on one of the ends and put it out of the way and let him 'discover it'.
    you will need litter tray and litter
    food and bowls
    a few treats (I recommend 'Dreamies' my cat absolutely adores them, and maybe some of those 'treat sticks' - because they are good at hiding cat tablets in)
    as for the litter and food - ask the RSPCA people what type of litter they use and what food they are giving the cats. start off with the same type. you can change it later when Derek has settled in.
    btw - I love his name!
    off now to google his pic!
  • bagpussbear
    bagpussbear Posts: 847 Forumite
    Options
    Good on you for getting a rescue cat :-)

Derek looks a sweetie. You've lots of happy times coming up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure