Tricky Return

Options
shak2
shak2 Posts: 118 Forumite
edited 25 April 2014 at 5:04PM in Consumer rights
Hi guys, need some advice.

Purchased an item (£90). Purchased on the 4th. It developed a fault on the 10th. I contacted them and expressly told them I wanted a replacement and not a refund.

They took the item by courier from me to replace it with a working item. Then, on the 20th I was wondering where the replacement was. So I contacted them and they said they couldn't replace it because the replacements had all sold out the day before and they would give a refund instead

I said I didn't want the refund and wanted them to return the product to me.

They refused and processed a refund saying they were allowed to do that and it was their choice under law what to do about it.

I need the item and they had a good price on it, regular price is around £140.

I am not happy with the refund, and that they did the refund without asking me, and they refused to return it to me when I sent it ONLY for a replacement and never for a refund. They said it was the law that they decided if they couldn't replace it then they could give a refund and there's nothing I can do about it.

I want the item and not the refund.

Can they do that?

Can they legally do that?

What should I do? is small claims court ok for this?

Comments

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can they do that?
    Yes, they surely can . . .
  • VictorCharlie
    Options
    Why do you want a faulty item back anyway?
  • shak2
    Options
    Why do you want a faulty item back anyway?

It was a non critical fault. One of the lights, wasn't working. And with the good deal I got I'd rather have it than have to pay more to buy again because the sale is over.

So can they really just do a refund when the reason they took it in the first place was to do a replacement?
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,524 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    shak2 wrote: »
    It was a non critical fault. One of the lights, wasn't working. And with the good deal I got I'd rather have it than have to pay more to buy again because the sale is over.

So can they really just do a refund when the reason they took it in the first place was to do a replacement?

You returned the item as faulty. They offered a replacement but if they dont have the stock, they cant replace it. As such a refund is the natural remedy.
  • shak2
    Options
    You returned the item as faulty. They offered a replacement but if they dont have the stock, they cant replace it. As such a refund is the natural remedy.

But if I told them to return the item to me if they can't replace it then can they legally say no, keep the item and give a refund?
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You rejected the goods under the sale of goods act. Once they collected them, they were no longer yours and the company had to recompense you via replacement, repair, or refund - the choice basically being theirs.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • shak2
    Options
    You rejected the goods under the sale of goods act. Once they collected them, they were no longer yours and the company had to recompense you via replacement, repair, or refund - the choice basically being theirs.

But I didn't reject them, I wanted to keep it but it was faulty!!

Also, the Sales of goods act only says replacement or repair not refund...
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SoGA states:
    (3)The buyer must not require the seller to repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods if that remedy is—
    (a)impossible, or
    (b)disproportionate in comparison to the other of those remedies, or
    (c)disproportionate in comparison to an appropriate reduction in the purchase price under paragraph (a), or rescission under paragraph (b), of section 48C(1) below.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • shak2
    Options
    SoGA states:

But it WAS possible to replace the item when they took it (they had replacements in stock at the time and selling on their channel). It was their fault for not allocating stock for replacement, not mine. Right?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    You did reject it.

You can't reject then change your mind. They may have already processed the return, sent it back to the manufacturer. Who knows, its theirs now.

They have fulfilled their legal obligations. Thats it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure