Tricky Return

Options

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    naf123 wrote: »
    Wow all the posters here really know the soga law!

I actually recently bought a bag (£15 + 4.99 delivery) on ebay for holiday and the very first time I used it on holiday it ripped! (poor stitching)

When I got home, I contacted the seller - he told me to return to him at my own cost? But the bag was faulty?? I want to double check with you guys what is the law? I was on holiday for 2 weeks so have I missed deadlines? Should I complain via ebay and get PayPal to refund and leave him a poor review?

You need to start your own thread.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • shak2
    shak2 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    The difference between loss of bargain and SoGA claims is that in loss of bargain, the breach of contract is within the retailers control and that it should have been foreseeable.

The seller had ample time to set aside a replacement while the replacements were still in stock and the faulty item was in their hands (about 6 days), yet didn't. And with the limited quantities of the replacement due to the sale pricing it seems like they could have forseen that a replacement would not have been possible. Right?

But even then, I asked that they return the faulty item to me and they refused. Does that give extra weight to the breach of contract?
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    shak2 wrote: »
    The seller had ample time to set aside a replacement while the replacements were still in stock and the faulty item was in their hands (about 6 days), yet didn't. And with the limited quantities of the replacement due to the sale pricing it seems like they could have forseen that a replacement would not have been possible. Right?

But even then, I asked that they return the faulty item to me and they refused. Does that give extra weight to the breach of contract?

Stop asking now; you've been given answers; you're still not happy. You've been directed to another forum; I suggest you try there.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • shak2
    Options
    Valli wrote: »
    ...possibly in the hope of a different answer or someone turning up and saying YOU are right and you deserve your widget back or money to buy one elsewhere.

And yet that's exactly what has happened. Someone has bought up breach of contract. And there's a DISCUSSION if that relates to the case or not. Please stop posting if you have nothing useful to add again.
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    shak2, are you willing to go to court regarding this?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    shak2 wrote: »

You're focusing on the remedy rather than the actual breach. The breach was that the goods failed to conform to contract upon delivery - not that they failed to send you a replacement.

Please do try and find loss of bargain precedence that is similar to your own circumstances and where the judge overruled the SoGA. Because I can't find any.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    You're focusing on the remedy rather than the actual breach. The breach was that the goods failed to conform to contract upon delivery - not that they failed to send you a replacement.

Please do try and find loss of bargain precedence that is similar to your own circumstances and where the judge overruled the SoGA. Because I can't find any.

Exactly. "Loss of a baragin" gets thrown around quite a lot, however its amazing how little information there is regarding it online.

If "Loss of a baragin" was as clear cut as the OP hopes it is, it would have serious rammicifactions on the retail industry.
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    .......Please do try and find loss of bargain precedence that is similar to your own circumstances and where the judge overruled the SoGA. Because I can't find any.

you won't find any such precedents because loss of bargain (and all the other long established common law contract rights and remedies) are in addition to SoG, they weren't replaced by it.
  • shak2
    Options
    shak2, are you willing to go to court regarding this?

Yes I am willing to take it to court if I have a case. Right now it's 50/50 I think.
  • shak2
    Options

But the goods did conform to contract upon delivery. The fault developed later after using the product.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure