The All New MSE Running Club.

Options

Comments

• Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strange isn’t it? Dean Karnezes says in his book when he ran a 199 mile relay race solo his quickest mile was his very last one which he did at under 6 minutes – that was after running continuously for 198 miles and 48 hours!

wow!

Whereas I start off too fast and my last few miles are generally the slowest.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • donglemouse
    donglemouse Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    London 10,000 for me at the end of May.

I received an email yesterday from the Bournemouth Marathon Festival. (BMF) They informed me there's "only" 22 weeks to go until my half.

Question for more experienced runners:
    I've looked at various half marathon training plans. Some say to run for xx minutes and others say xx distance. I know we're all different; but is it better to run by time or distance?

if you search the net you can find a million training plans - of course all different

asics (the shoe manufacturer) has a program on their website myasics which I find helpful you enter a few parameters (how far/fast you can run, if you are training for an event, how many times a week you want to run etc) and then it creates a program for you

you run a mix of distances/speeds with the aim of both helping you to run further and faster
  • fufu_banterwaite
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    Question for more experienced runners:
    I've looked at various half marathon training plans. Some say to run for xx minutes and others say xx distance. I know we're all different; but is it better to run by time or distance?

I know everyone is different, but I’d say for something as relatively short as a half-marathon you don’t need a proper training plan, especially you Indie who has been running a while. I think you’d only need one for a marathon upwards.

I did my first half-marathon seven months after a big knee op, I only really started to do any serious jogging a month beforehand. All I would say is just make sure you are comfortable running at least 10/11 miles beforehand and then taper down in the week before.
  • donglemouse
    donglemouse Posts: 2,652 Forumite
    Options
    each to their own personally i like a plan as then i just follow the instructions as to how far/fast to run - fwiw the asics plans i have used do take you up to a max 11 miles before a half marathon then cut the distance back in the 2 weeks before hand to allow recovery, so that's consistent with fufu's suggestion & most of the half marathon plans out there
  • fufu_banterwaite
    Options
    I catch your drift DM, I guess what I meant is for a half-marathon it isn't essential to have a plan, you can easily prepare for one without one, but they can be handy if you are aiming for a particular time, etc.
  • Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options

I had run my first marathon in 3 hrs and 17 mins within a year of my first run and was training for a 2 hr 45 min marathon when I injured my knee.

Wow, that is SERIOUSLY impressive stuff. I know a guy who runs that kind of time a year after doing his first 5k race, but he was a very fit non-smoker before he started running. This gives me hope that I might still manage my current target of running a marathon in spring fast enough to earn a gfa place in London the year after (3 hours 45):D I went to watch the London marathon and found it really inspiring. I can't help but feel that if *they* can run it in 2 and a half hours, why can't I? Totally overlooking little things like lack of talent of course... hey ho.

I'm on an easy week this week because I felt like I was starting out on tired legs on Monday's run, even though Sunday had been a rest day. I've spent the last month gradually building back up from 2-3 sessions a week to 4-5 and I've been pushing myself quite hard. Today might be the first day in a week that my muscles don't ache. Just goes to show how much fitness I'd lost, I suppose!

How about dried fruit and nuts or some flapjacks for the ultramarathoning food? And jellybabies.
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    Options
    Lizling wrote: »
    How about dried fruit and nuts or some flapjacks for the ultramarathoning food? And jellybabies.

These sound like a good idea.

I am currently not using a plan and am just playing it by ear. Not quite going how I hoped. But I have until August at least.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • swingofthings
    swingofthings Posts: 644 Forumite
    Options
    Hello. Nice to see a page dedicated on running so thought I would say Hi too.

I am 43, married with 3 kids. Used to be fairly fit when i was younger; rugby and rowing helped! I also did a bit of running too; did the London Marathon and the New York Marathon along with the Great North Run a few times. My best time for the marathon was 4 hours 30 minutes whilst i managed 1 hour 45 minutes in the half-marathon. But I never seriously trained for these events as my "natural" fitness carried me through.

Last year I decided I had put on too much weight - was tipping the scales at 18 stones - so tried to sort out my diet and do some exercising aka running. I hadn't run for around 10 years so this was a big committment to make.

I now run twice a week and I eat fairly healthily although i still have too much chocolate especially when the little one is up at 2am in the morning like he was last night.

When I started running again last year I was doing 3 and a half miles in around 40 minutes (round about 11:50 minutes a mile). I did a 5.5 mile run on Monday in 47 minutes which was around 8:57 minutes a mile) so I have made great strides (sic) in the last year!

Like some people above, I find the first two miles are sub 8-minute miles whereas the last few miles are slower but that is because the course gets hilly.

Some quick advice for you ... I use the MapMyFitness app - allows me to listen to music whilst I run AND hear mile updates of how I am doing. It is great for tracking runs. I know there are other apps out there (a lot of people swear by RunKeeper) but I am sticking with what I know for now.

I also made an effort and got some proper running gear (t-shirt and shorts). Makes me feel more of a runner then using my baggy shorts and ripped tshirt that I used to run in.

Finally, I think it always helps to run with others. I run on my own and I am doing ok. But when i started doing running again last year, i did a relay at work within the first month of taking up running again and did 1.6 miles in around 14 minutes which equated to just over 9 minute miles. So, one could argue, that I haven't sped up in the last year but I don't think you can under-estimate peer pressure, so to speak!

I keep meaning to try out the park-run but it is always hard to get out at 9am on a Saturday due to our youngest having no sleep pattern of any description at the moment!

Cheerio for now
  • fufu_banterwaite
    fufu_banterwaite Posts: 1,599 Forumite
    Options
    Lizling wrote: »

Thanks Liz – yes it is dried fruit and nuts and flapjacks I eat when I go out for my long runs. I am hoping it was having my breakfast too close to going out for a run that caused the dodgy stomach last time round, will give it an extra hour to digest when I go out for my long run this Saturday.
  • pablakeman
    pablakeman Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am training for a half-marathon (well, technically, I am only 5 runs in) and although I don't have a plan, I will do in a month or so. I guess it just helps a lot of people and there is certainly no harm in having one! I had a quick look at the asics site but I work in km rather than miles, so I might start tracking in miles from now on anyway.

Off out for a run tonight hopefully, I just need to spend 6 hours in the library first!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure