Water Meter Bill

Options
Hiya
I moved into a house 2 months ago, and today recieved my bill for the 1st month. I am on a water meter and it is just me living at my house, but the bill for the month was £33.71!! :eek: :eek:

Does this seem right for 4wks of water??!

Comments

• emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    well we pay £240 for 6 mths, so about £40 so yeah sounds about right

how many ppl are there in ur household?

were a house of 2 adults n a lil tot :rotfl:
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • Raver2k7
    Raver2k7 Posts: 248 Forumite
    Options
    its only me that lives there!
  • emweaver
    Options
    ouch that does seem high then, maybe you have a leak?

someone else on here suggested taking a reading when your not going to use any water then take another after to see if the meters changed, maybe try that
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • Raver2k7
    Options
    can do but my drain with the meter in is in the road..Lol
  • emweaver
    Options
    yeah think most ppls are, ours is right on the kerb.
  • Raver2k7
    Options
    okey dokes. i spose the only thing for it is to go and check it..Lol i know i have a drippy kitchen tap, but dnt think it would affect it that much. may call my landlord and get him to fix it..Lol
  • emweaver
    Options
    if its dripping all the time ull be surprised how much water itll waste. if u was to leave plug in ud soon see how quickly it mounts up dripping
  • Raver2k7
    Options
    i work nights and i have noticed when i arrive home, the washing up bowl is nearly full!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Raver2k7 wrote: »
    Hiya
    I moved into a house 2 months ago, and today recieved my bill for the 1st month. I am on a water meter and it is just me living at my house, but the bill for the month was £33.71!! :eek: :eek:

Does this seem right for 4wks of water??!

It depends where you live to a large extent as water charges vary greatly across the country. So comparisons with others, without knowing the area and other factors like surface water drainage charges, are not useful.

Water bills are usually sent out every six months and not monthly.

I would check that the meter readings are not estimated(they might be estimating on previous occupants). Also check that they had the correct meter reading for when you moved in(if you noted it)

I would just check your future consumption carefully. A single person should use about 60 cubic metres a year - say 1.2 cu mtr a week.
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    It's better to look at how many units you have used rather than the overall bill. As the previous poster stated, it depends on where you live. We are 3 people and use around 11 units a month. Our water is one of the most expensive in the country and costs over £4 a unit plus £40 per annum standing charge. My previous unmetered bill was £78 per month!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure