PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that referencing house prices may be sometimes be pertinent to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please refrain from going off-topic into broad, general debates about the housing market, the economy and politics. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

New Landlord - Deposit Protection Schemes

124»

Replies

• tunneltunnel Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    BobQ wrote: »
    GM has offered many people good advice on here. You may be glad of it in the future
    I'll second that, it was only through one of GM's post I was made aware of issuing the PI for deposits on new tenancies and periodics, something my letting agents didn't know about(they do now)
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire
  • edited 19 April 2014 at 6:21PM
    nearlyretired2004nearlyretired2004 Forumite
    501 Posts
    edited 19 April 2014 at 6:21PM
    To BobQ ....

The 'reduction' we are making is only in passing on the cost savings we are making by not letting through a letting agency - I did say it was 'a little' below market rate..

I am very aware of the rules around deprivation of assets, and am confident we are doing nothing to contravene them - but thanks for a helpful comment !!

Regarding the second paragraph of your post at 5:47 I am certainly not arrogant enough to believe I understand all the pitfalls...... dare I say it, that's why I came on here asking for advice in the first place!!!
  • SandstoneSandstone Forumite
    105 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    OP, I personally think you are right to feel more comfortable about having 'control' over the deposit, and I think it's wrong for people to judge you with cynicism for it.
    It's possible to distrust something because of unfamiliarity, and not because one has any nefarious intentions. For example, what if one of the schemes collapsed? Whether because of fraud/theft/negligence etc.? These schemes haven't been around forever, and probably won't be either.

One good reason for preferring to have custodial 'control' might be the government guarantee over personal deposits up to £85K - does any equivalent system exist for the schemes?
    I don't know the answer, but when faced with a known and an unknown, there's nothing wrong with expressing a preference for the known, followed by asking for more info, which is what you've done.

As for answering your question, I only have experience with https://www.depositprotection.com and it seemed ok.

I say just pick whichever one you like. Good luck and best wishes for your family in difficult times.
    Saving money for everything and everyone.
  • edited 19 April 2014 at 10:54PM
    CreditCrunchieCreditCrunchie Forumite
    473 Posts
    edited 19 April 2014 at 10:54PM
    [/B]

Its not your money, so you having control of it shouldn't be an issue.

And on that note, any money you do make should be the tenants. Its their money, not yours.

Exactly this!

Deposits should always be protected by completely independent third parties, who make no money from it and can act impartially. The money belongs to the TENANTS, so they are the ones needing protection from schemes going bust.
  • It seems that many have not grasped what a tenancy deposit is for.
    It is a security, so while the money remains the tenant's, the whole point is that the landlord can have control over it.
    Deposits should always be protected by completely independent third parties, who make no money from it.

These do not exist. Deposit schemes are not charities and they all make money from it.

If anyone needs protection from a custodial scheme going bust it is the landlord as he is the one liable to the tenant.
    That said in principle, the money should be save even if the scheme were to go bust indeed.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Last week's energy Q&A with MSE experts

MSE Forum

Ninja Kitchen air fryer & grill £175

Normally £250. Excl Northern Ireland

MSE Deals