NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that referencing house prices may be sometimes be pertinent to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please refrain from going off-topic into broad, general debates about the housing market, the economy and politics. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Thank you for your understanding.

New Landlord - Deposit Protection Schemes

Replies

• Technically of course I cant argue with that , however please do not deliberately try to skew what I have said far to many times already in this thread ..... I'M JUST TRYING TO COVER THE COSTS OF THE SCHEME - NOT MAKE MONEY!!

God, some people suffer from selective hearing.
  • Technically of course I cant argue with that , however please do not deliberately try to skew what I have said far to many times already in this thread ..... I'M JUST TRYING TO COVER THE COSTS OF THE SCHEME - NOT MAKE MONEY!!

Its not selective. But you want to make money. Fair enough. Thats what the rent is for. Charge accordingly
  • Cant believe this has to be explained.

then use the custodial scheme and it won't cost you, or your friendly tenant, a penny. Release of the funds is down to the scheme and is irrelevant if, as suggested, you simply don't take a deposit to start with given you are not trying to make money from it

PS I resent your inclusion of me in your statements about posts to date
  • Topdaddy again....re: your hearing.

errr.... I think it is .....shall we try once more ....I'll try not to make the words too long and difficult to understand. .......

The rent is better than fair ...... and that is the money we are earning on the property, we are quite happy with that (and so incidentally are the tenants)

The money in question here is only any interest I earn from the deposit...... and I repeat

I AM ONLY TRYING TO COVER THE COSTS OF THE DEPOSIT PROTECTION SCHEME!!!!!!
  • errr.... I think it is .....shall we try once more ....I'll try not to make the words too long and difficult to understand. .......

The rent is better than fair ...... and that is the money we are earning on the property, we are quite happy with that (and so incidentally are the tenants)

The money in question here is only any interest I earn from the deposit...... and I repeat

I AM ONLY TRYING TO COVER THE COSTS OF THE DEPOSIT PROTECTION SCHEME!!!!!!

So factor that small fair amount into the rent. Isnt hard is it? Capitals will not change this.
  • tunneltunnel Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    In all honesty I don't think anyone can fault your motives for letting the property, it was more the manner in which you responded.

Had you been a bit more forthcoming with your information in your original post you may have got a better response. All too often on here there is post after post regarding "reluctant" LL's or "first time" LL's, many who search to make a quick buck at the expense of their tenants, referring to the cheapest would most likely put you in one of the above
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire
  • BobQBobQ Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    OP,

I have just seen this thread. You may indeed be the very nice person you evidently think you are. Maybe all this thread shows is that people judge you on what you write not what you meant. Looking at your first few posts I can see why the word "control" made people think about your motives.

My only constructive comment is that as a new landlord of one property please do not assume that you understand the pitfalls. Many tenants appear nice and the fact you have known this one for 40 years is good.

But do not assume that if (for example), the tenant were rushed to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, the fact that you being helpful in letting her move in would stop her suing you for not providing a Landlords Gas Certificate. People are sometimes not what they seem and until you actually negotiate the return of the deposit (and your different interpretations about what is reasonable or the fact you have an inadequate proof of original condition)you will not know.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • edited 19 April 2014 at 6:02PM
    BobQBobQ Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    edited 19 April 2014 at 6:02PM

I see you post quite a bit on this board. Do you actually have any advice to offer?

GM has offered many people good advice on here. You may be glad of it in the future
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • BobQBobQ Forumite
    11.2K Posts

Even at a little below market rate, one months rent will pay approximately one weeks care home fees.... so renting will extend the 'life' of Mum' s money by approx. 25% (actually a little less, as rent is calendar monthly and care home fees are weekly.....)

I do not fully understand the rules on care homes but is there not an obligation on your mother to let the property at a market rate? Is there any possibility that the LA might view letting below the market rate as deprivation of assets?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals