passwords

I saw on the news today about changing passwords, so I set to. It is a horrible job, I have had to think of new and complicated passwords with upper and lower case and numbers. I am really pee`d off with it, changing mine and DHs savings accounts amongst lots of other accounts and having different passwords for different accounts :eek:

I have decided to close a couple of accounts when they mature and I am either spending the cash or keeping it in the house, which is perfectly safe where I live

I can`t keep up with this

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    kittie wrote: »
    I saw on the news today about changing passwords, so I set to. It is a horrible job, I have had to think of new and complicated passwords with upper and lower case and numbers. I am really pee`d off with it, changing mine and DHs savings accounts amongst lots of other accounts and having different passwords for different accounts :eek:....

If you're referring to the Heartbleed bug, I believe that the correct advice is don't change your passwords just right now.

If a site has been comprised by hackers exploiting the Heartbleed flaw, and they can intercept and read supposedly encrypted data, by changing your password, you are at risk of communicating your password to the hackers.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    An easy way to change passwords is to substitute certain letters for numerals- eg o=0, e=3, l=1, s=5 ,g=9.... you get the idea. You only need a couple of numerals and maybe start with a capital letter.
    Saying all that I still can't remember passwords following the advice to not write them down!!!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Katiehound wrote: »
    An easy way to change passwords is to substitute certain letters for numerals- eg o=0, e=3, l=1, s=5 ,g=9.... you get the idea. You only need a couple of numerals and maybe start with a capital letter.
    Saying all that I still can't remember passwords following the advice to not write them down!!!!

Passwords appear in binary, so look nothing like this text.
    If you have a numeric just add 1, it's now a totally different password.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have a system which I use to set up new emails at work, and one which I use at home.

At work I use their first name plus our company name (which is short) but I change all the vowels to the number closest in appearance (so 0 for o etc).

At home I use a combination of the company's name, my year of birth and my initials, and do some number substitution too.

On the radio this morning Tony Buzan was suggesting that remembering passwords is easy, because you just match each letter or number with a picture. So a 1 might be a pencil etc. Really?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,975
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Coventry Building Society have emailed members to say they are not affected and not to change passwords.

When you have logged in at Lloyds they say they aren't affected so no need to change for Heartbleed reason.
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,874
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Coventry Building Society have emailed members to say they are not affected and not to change passwords.

When you have logged in at Lloyds they say they aren't affected so no need to change for Heartbleed reason.

Yes, I logged into the Halifax this morning and a message flashed up to say they hadn't been affected by this (they are part of LLoyds).
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2014 at 6:29PM

Just get a programme which manages them all for you.

Keepass is a free one, there are many others both free and for a payment

http://keepass.info/

"I am either spending the cash or keeping it in the house"

A smart move in my opinion. That way there is no paper trail and government depts. can't snatch money out of your bank account.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    antrobus wrote: »
    If you're referring to the Heartbleed bug, I believe that the correct advice is don't change your passwords just right now.

If a site has been comprised by hackers exploiting the Heartbleed flaw, and they can intercept and read supposedly encrypted data, by changing your password, you are at risk of communicating your password to the hackers.

I heard that about an hour after I finished.I heard on the early news to change the passwords, so I did knowing that I should change from time to time. Most of my passwords were simple and have now become impossible, so no choice but to write them down. I am so glad I don`t do any accounts like facebook etc
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have had to think of new and complicated passwords with upper and lower case and numbers. I am really pee`d off with it,

There are quite a few free password generators available, check them out to see which one best suits you.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • scotsbob wrote: »
    Just get a programme which manages them all for you.

Keepass is a free one, there are many others both free and for a payment

http://keepass.info/

"I am either spending the cash or keeping it in the house"

A smart move in my opinion. That way there is no paper trail and government depts. can't snatch money out of your bank account.

When we lived in Spain we kept most of our money in Caja de Mi Colchon (My Mattress Savings Bank) for that very reason. We only kept just enough for the Direct Debits in the bank.

As regards passwords, I write down clues to mine, (like 'white rabbit' e.g) that I know the answer to but other people don't. That way I can remember them. If they have another character in like an exclamation mark I write that down (as in 'white! rabbit').
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure