Money Moral Dilemma: Should I report couple fraudulently claiming benefits?

Options

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    Options
    dippy3103 wrote: »
    HBO- you took the words right out of my mouth! It could be that the investigation is complex and still ongoing, it could be that they have been found to be doing nothing wrong. The list goes on and on.

The o/p here could be wrong - they could be claiming as a couple and if that's the case then nothing will be done

Quite.
    One is not required to tell the truth to neighbours or acquaintances.
    There can be good reasons to shade the truth, varying from simply not wanting to admit it to yourself, to believing that the bald truth will be misinterpreted in ways that are too complex to explain without a half an hour discussion that you're not up to at that moment.

You are required to tell the truth to the DWP, and certain other statutory bodies.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes I would. A friend of mine from where I lived years ago has a daughter who is a single mother & living on benefits. Then she met a guy & he moved in with her & continued to claim as a single mother.

My friend told me the boyfriend earned really good money & to be honest, had I known the address of my friends daughter, I'd have reported her.

This same friend had a son who lived with his girlfriend & who had 3 children by him, but he wasn't down as living with his partner & their children even though he did live there, so this was yet another family conning the system. She was living off of benefits as a single mother whilst he was bringing in a wage, but supposedly living at his mother's house. Again, had I known the address they lived at & the girls surname I'd have reported them.

It seems to be going on so much now & it's gotten out of control. It's no longer just a case of somebody claiming say income support & perhaps doing a little cleaning job on the side if the opportunity arises. What goes on now is planned & thought out fraud & a way to get the tax payer to support them & their children & allow them to have a decent amount of money coming in without having to work for it.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would agree that 192 isn't always accurate. However if you genuinely believe they are committing benefit fraud then report them. If they aren't then no harm done and if they are then it will be dealt with.

I used to know someone who was reported, investigated and found innocent. In that time, her benefits which she was supposedly claiming when she shouldn't have done, were stopped. Hardly "no harm done".:mad:
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I blew someone up once about claiming benefits but it wasn't 'cos i was doing my duty.
    A car crashed into me one day, only very minor damage which he promised to pay for and gave me his address. I went to the house a few times but there was never anyone there. The local kids said, he doesn't live there it's only a giro-drop he calls around to.
    A few months later i saw the car parked up the other side of the estate, he was living with his wife/partner. I went to the Police for them to get the guys insurance details and the Dhss to tell them about the giro-drop. I would have been happy with less than £50 to get my bumper fixed.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • evenasus
    evenasus Posts: 11,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    clarryd wrote: »
    I would like to have the nature of name and shame but I just can't.
    I wish I could but I just can't mostly in case my identity was not secret.

I would report her without a second thought.

You don't have to give your details, you can make a report anonymously.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Indie_Kid wrote: »
    I used to know someone who was reported, investigated and found innocent. In that time, her benefits which she was supposedly claiming when she shouldn't have done, were stopped. Hardly "no harm done".:mad:

Benefit isn't suspended unless there is evidence to suggest its being incorrectly paid or is the person doesn't respond to requests for information. Benefit is not suspended just because anon information is received.
  • Tr@cker
    Tr@cker Posts: 532 Forumite
    Options
    lazer wrote: »
    Simply becasue they are on 2 different addresses on the electoral register doesn't mean they are claiming fraudulenty.

My husband and I live between 2 houses for work reasons, so are registered at 2 seperate addresses, however if we needed to claim would still claim as a married couple.

These are not workers but they can do everything else, get stoned all day then sleep it off.

They've actually been right in the middle of more trouble than everyone else in the neighbourhood put together.

My take now is this: the bigger trouble-making, wasting, useless tw*t you are to society. The more the authorities just give up with you.

Generally honest people who put a foot wrong occasionally are shamed and punished out of proportion.

These types have no shame. they just laugh and take the !!!! out of the rest of us.
  • confuseddaughter_2
    confuseddaughter_2 Posts: 133 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2014 at 7:05PM
    Options
    Tr@cker wrote: »
    A married couple living together full time, both unemployed and who you know to be claiming at separate addresses.

I believe there's quite a difference of income but dont know exactly how much.

I personally find it a moral dilemma but readily understand why many hardworking, honest people wouldn't think twice about reporting them.

I know many young couples that are effectively 'married' to each other, have children together, yet are registered and live at different addresses.
    Many have been subject to investigation, yet all state that they are separated as why else would they have their own place of abode. Yes we all know that it goes on, but if they are actually maintaining two separate homes, with all mail etc being sent to them at the addresses, how would you prove that they are in fact living together?
    By coincidence I was chatting to the boyfriend of one of my friends this morning. He has just sold his house and is now in the process of looking for a single room in a shared house which will be his 'new home'. They actually are in a relationship with children involved, yet the only connection between them appears to be the times he sees his kids, babysits them, and stays to look after them when they are ill.
  • confuseddaughter_2
    Options
    evenasus wrote: »
    I would report her without a second thought.

You don't have to give your details, you can make a report anonymously.

Another curtain twitcher??
  • confuseddaughter_2
    Options
    Tr@cker wrote: »
    These are not workers but they can do everything else, get stoned all day then sleep it off.

They've actually been right in the middle of more trouble than everyone else in the neighbourhood put together.

My take now is this: the bigger trouble-making, wasting, useless tw*t you are to society. The more the authorities just give up with you.

Generally honest people who put a foot wrong occasionally are shamed and punished out of proportion.

These types have no shame. they just laugh and take the !!!! out of the rest of us.

They probably don't care.
    But I must say their life is anything but boring.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure