EUROSTAR Compensation?

Hi all, I guess EUROSTAR is not covered by this new EU legislation however I thought I'd open a thread to discuss it anyway in case anyone has any experience. I took the last train back from Brussels recently with an arrival time in London billed at 21:00. Instead we were stuck in the tunnel and arrived back at 01:30, 4hrs 30mins late. We were dumped off at Kings Cross with no tubes running and no onward transport in the middle of the night. Eurostar have offered 50% refund by default, however is this standard policy or is there scope for a full refund of the return journey? The driver also promised a refund of cab fares, but there is nothing mentioned about this on their website. Anyone have any experience of dealing with them? Thanks!

Comments

• David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    efunc wrote: »
    Hi all, I guess EUROSTAR is not covered by this new EU legislation

Good guess. The clue is that the (2005) Regulation refers to "flights".
    however I thought I'd open a thread to discuss it anyway in case anyone has any experience.

Maybe do that somewhere more appropriate to avoid cluttering the Flight Delay Compensation forum and making it more difficult for people to find what they are looking for on that subject.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    i believe Eurostar are very good at providing their advertised compensation in event of a delay. Its on their website, and also on various websites if you google Eurostar compensation.
  • efunc
    efunc Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thanks, yes they've sent out an automatic email. Have you had experience with this process or managed to negotiate a more personalised resolution?
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    edited 2 April 2014 at 5:37PM
    thanks, yes they've sent out an automatic email. Have you had experience with this process or managed to negotiate a more personalised resolution?

not personally - but i find their customer care staff very helpful indeed, so i'd phone them and see what they say regarding your extra expenses etc due to the delay with the train.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    On the one occasion we were stuck for hours, when we arrived back in London, they had organised cabs, we all had to share at 5 to a cab, and although the journey home took a long time, it seemed well organised. If it wasn't for you, then send the receipt for your cab and I am sure they will refund, they will only replay half the cost of your train journey on the basis your outbound journey was not delayed and there is no justification for refunding the full cost of a return trip
  • efunc
    efunc Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you, that's very helpful to know. It was actually pandemonium outside Kings Cross with about 1000 passengers or more trying to figure out what was going on and no Eurostar staff to organise cabs, but you're right, I'll drop them an email. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure