Nuaire Drimaster location

Hi,

After reading a lot of promising reviews I have decided to purchase a Nuaire Drimaster PVI unit.

I live in a 2 bedroom semi. We have relatively high humidity 40%-60% throughout the day depending on the weather and usually up as high as 85% overnight. The high humidity only occurs in our bedroom, the rest of the house stays at the low-mid 60's. The bedroom with the high humidity suffers from bad condensation on the windows, especially on cold night. We also get a bit of mildew forming on the outside wall at the top. We have a built in wardrobe in the corner sharing part of the north facing wall; this has a dark patch in the corner of mold/mildew.

The other rooms in the house don't get any mildew/mold problems.

We generally sleep with the bedroom door closed.

Everything I have read points to installing the PIV Unit in the hallway. However, seeing as the humidity problem is in the bedroom/built in wardrobe would it be worth installing it there instead?

I'm just looking for a bit of advise really so any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• motomoto_2
    motomoto_2 Posts: 108 Forumite
    It needs to go in the loft to draw the drier air in from outside so def don't put it in bedroom. ( I've just ordered one too after paying for an independent damp expert and the worst area for damp is the like yours - bedroom at side of waredrobe )
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have installed 3 of these units one of then nearly 20 years ago.
    DO NOT install it in your bedroom.
    In the quiet of the night you will hear it running even though it is actually very quiet in operation.
    It also blows cooler air into the house which you really don't want in a bedroom.
    They are actually brilliant & do exactly what they say.
    Give it about a month & I think you will find your problems solved !!
    HTH
  • bretts
    bretts Posts: 470 Forumite
    Hi

Sorry to hijack this post I have similar problem too, I have mold problems too and its in the bedroom only in the one we are most of this time.

This is my thread with some pics of it as well

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4901222&highlight=

This is on the first floor, I have tried everything possible, leave windows open for ventilation( cant leave it open for too long as I have a small kid at home), use dehumidifier, clean it regularly but nothing seems to work, I saw this thread yesterday and was thinking about getting same thing for my house but I had same question in mind, should I put it in the bedroom, above this is loft so it does go into the loft. Second thing I was thinking of was if I get the extractor fan which is automatically switches on if there is moisture in the air. But as it will be in the bathroom it is some distance from the bedroom where we have most problem I dont know how effective that would be.

Would appreciate if anyone could advise.
  • barrowvian
    barrowvian Posts: 64 Forumite
    Excellent, thank you very much for the information.

I called Nuaire today just to get some info; she too advised me that it is not a good idea to put it in the bedroom. So that's one thing decided.

She also mentioned that if we don't like sleeping with the door open then it shouldn't be a problem due to the 1cm or so gap under the door. However, if need be, it is always an option to fit some small vents on the bedroom door to help circulate airflow.

It may be worth putting these door vents on the built-in wardrobe to allows the temperature in there so adjust to room temp. She said two vents at the top of the wardrobe leading into the loft (providing no insulation was above the vent) would allow the warmer, wetter air to flow into the loft. Does this sound like something worth doing or does it sound like a wild shot in the dark?

She claimed the heating drimaster costs approximately 9p per day to run. I've asked if this is based on the unit running for 24 hours but I'm waiting to hear back. It does seem very cheap if that is true but I doubt that 9p per day is a likely target.
  • barrowvian
    Just to add;

Sam as NuAire came back to me to confirm that the item does only costs approximately 9p per day to operate. This is the Heat Drimaster by the way!

She told me that the power rating is 516 watts.

My energy company charge 14.12p per kWh. Based on 24 hours of continuous operation this device would work out to use £54.63p per month (based on a 31 day month). This effectively means that the unit itself would roughly cost £1.76 per day. As you can see this figure is enormously different from what they have advertised to me directly in their sales pitch.

The yearly difference based on both calculations;

Sam's estimate - £32.85 per year.
    Energy companies estimate - £642.4

Now either I am way off in my calculations, but I did get this directly from my energy supplier, or I am being fed some inaccurate information from Sam at NuAire.

Thoughts?
  • motomoto_2
    motomoto_2 Posts: 108 Forumite
    Everyone I have heard from has advised not to get the heat model just get the standard version ! and ps if you google platinum chemicals you can get it for £190 plus vat !!!

Hope this helps
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Basic nuaire

Electrical details:-
    Voltage:
    240V 1ph 50Hz
    Consumption:
    1.6W(min) 15.3W(max)
    Fuse size:
    1 Amp

Therefore something is wrong as this is about 9p per day as their guide, the heated one has to be completely different

• barrowvian
    Yeah we decided on the non-heat version. At worst, we could always buy the heat add-on at a later date if we REALLY need it. I know it's not the cheapest of options but at least it is an option.

With regards to the humidity and mildew in the built-in wardrobe; would anyone recommend fitting the vents on the lower parts of the wardrobe door? And to also fit a vent to the top of the wardrobe to allow the heat to rise or would that likely make the whole area colder allowing the warm air to condense more?
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I cut some circular holes in the plinths & in the bottoms of our built in wardrobes to allow the air to circulate.
  • barrowvian
    mervyn11 wrote: »
    I cut some circular holes in the plinths & in the bottoms of our built in wardrobes to allow the air to circulate.

Did you find that it made much difference?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure