Franklee_2 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I agree. I will try to convince her.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does your wife have MH problems?

They can omit the ESA50 for some people with MH problems apparently.

Personally I would ring and ask them why she wasnt sent one, many people have passed over onto ESA without a face to face assessment based on the ESA50 and the medical evidence returned with the form.

Does your wife have medical evidence to back up her claim?
  • Franklee_2
    Options
    Hi sunnyone. No mh problems. Apart from putting up with me.
    absolutely the guillain-barr! is all over her medical records, (she was in hospital for 6 weeks including a week on life support) it also takes up a lot of space on the medical questionnaires she has submitted over the years.
  • sunnyone
    Options
    Franklee wrote: »
    Hi sunnyone. No mh problems. Apart from putting up with me.
    absolutely the guillain-barr! is all over her medical records, (she was in hospital for 6 weeks including a week on life support) it also takes up a lot of space on the medical questionnaires she has submitted over the years.

It has to be recent, relevant evidence so I suppose it will be about the resultant muscle weakness, lack of function in her limbs type of thing ect. she would need (I only know one person who has had this and thats only because they were treated on my spinal unit so my knowledge is minimal and I know it affects everyone diffrently like so many other neurological conditions)
  • Franklee_2
    edited 3 April 2014 at 8:14PM
    Options
    Hi sunnyone.
    Yes she was quite a celebrity on the ward. Surrounded by junior doctors who may never get to see another case.
    You know this of course but she was treated with immunoglobulin (sp) at nearly £800 a bottle which was for some bizarre reason motorcycle couriered from Glasgow. So she has had her monies worth out of the nhs. she is so worked up about the assessment bless her.
  • sunnyone
    Options
    Franklee wrote: »
    Hi sunnyone.
    Yes she was quite a celebrity on the ward. Surrounded by junior doctors who may never get to see another case.
    You know this of course but she was treated with immunoglobulin (sp) at nearly £800 a bottle which was for some bizarre reason motorcycle couriered from Glasgow. So she has had her monies worth out of the nhs. she is so worked up about the assessment bless her.

She wasnt on the Jubilee spinal unit at the James Cook was she?

One thing I cant complain about is the amount of money the NHS spends on me, I am having yet more major surgery at the back end of this month and I know I will be well looked after by staff that know me and my needs.

Its easy to complain about some elements of the NHS and we must complain to improve these elements but as a whole the NHS is an amazing concept that keeps people like me and your wife alive and its there for every single resident of our country if and when they need it.
  • Franklee_2
    Options
    No sunnyone. We are in the west mercia police area.
  • Franklee_2
    Options
    Well.thats that then. Assessment over and done with. We did see a Doctor which was good. Hard to tell how the went isnt it.
    whats the sort of wait now?
  • wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can add something from my own experiences of gbs (my oh).
    you can get some more info and help from the gbs support group
    (now called gain)
    http://www.gaincharity.org.uk/

my oh got high rate care and mobility for a little while
    but did not need the care component after 1 year.
    I will say that you would expect however bad her gbs was that she will be 'getting better slowly' (that was their old motto)
    and the most surprising people have had gbs
    and you would never know.
    so the assessor might be looking for improvement rather than permanent disability
    and reassess regularly accordingly.

there was a famous footballer in hospital with my oh when he got it.
    I think he even went back to football (though not as meteroric a rise as he might have done).and tony benn famously had it.
    now years later my oh has chronic neuropathic pain
    and muscle wasting
    as the axons of the neurons were actually damaged (not just the myelin outside the nerves).
    his mobility is severely affected
    and his feet are permanently cold all the time and one of
    the biggest pains for us is trying to find travel insurance.

I would definitely appeal (in person) if you are turned down and think you meet the criteria.
  • Franklee_2
    Options
    Thanks wolfehouse.
    some useful advice there. I remember the footballer Deiter Haman (sp) ex Liverpool.
    My oh suffers very badly with cold extremities. She takes gabapentin. The heating is on fairly constantly whilst I could sit here like jim royle in my vest and pants!.
    She has had all the neuro tests and they couldnt find much of a reflex etc.
    She still occasionally has trouble swallowing even 13 years on.
    also has memory 'blanks'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport