HSBC counter service

Options
13»

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Fedz wrote:

Failing that you can use internet cafes', friends and or relatives PC.

Sorry don't agree. I would not conduct personal things like internet banking in a cybercafe or a library.

Also you missed the bit where I said about people not being interested in computers.

My brother and my parents have no interest in a computers at all. And don't think they have ever used one apart from the ones in ATM machines etc.

And I am not going to do there banking for them and it is none my business what they spend there money on. And they would not want to come to my house to do there banking.

Would you want to have to drag all your bits and pieces over to friends house to pay a few bills etc. I know I would not.

Also what about the % of the population that don't even have a bank account and deal all in cash. How are they suppose to deal with there bills.
    I would think that a lot of those dealing with cash wouldn't credit score very highly even for a basic bank account.

So again the lowest paid in society are being seen as not worthy and should have to pay over the odds for goods and services when they can't afford it in the first place.

The same happens with electric and gas pre-payment meters.

I do understand why banks do it. But it just seems to penalise the lower paid
    members of society and no one even there mp's don't seem to care about it.

Right I will get off my soap box.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Fedz
    Fedz Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Calley

If you don't like using computers there's plenty other options:

People can open basic bank accounts, these don't require a credit score (not to my knowledge) just proof of ID and address. Some basic bank accounts (eg: Co-operative bank, HSBC, Lloyds TSB) don't even charge customers for failed direct debits, unlike us current account holders!

So folks can pay cash for bills at banks over the counter (free), they can pay some bills by cash at paypoints (free), cash withdrawals at link machines (free).

I'd say the lowest paid can get a good deal and with a choice :)
    Proudly Banking & Saving With:
    The Co-operative Bank.
    Castle & Minster Credit Union.
    Yorkshire Building Society.
  • Iona_Penny
    Iona_Penny Posts: 697 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am an HSBC customer and don't have a problem with charging other customers. I use the small branch where I live which is well used and usually a queue but great service. ( my problem with HSBC is their rubbish call centre in Malaysia ) I do check my account on line but am old fashioned and like the comfort of handing money and paper in and out!
    Incidently I have account with the coventry BS and have paid bills in there direct from the account which arrives as cleared funds 4 days later; perhaps someone can offer more info on this service.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quoted from Fedz 'Some basic bank accounts (eg: Co-operative bank, HSBC, Lloyds TSB) don't even charge customers for failed direct debits, unlike us current account holders!'

Take care though - 3 strikes and you are out and there is no appeal. ie 3 s/o or d/d returned unpaid and you get 1 month's notice that account WILL be closed.
    Eric
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport