Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys?

Options

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,953 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more. Any more posts in this thread would be very much welcomed.

Sorry to have stirred up such a hornets' nest!

Lol, you didn’t stir up a hornets nest. You started a discussion on the possibility of having 2 threads and it was decided that mcculloch is doing such a fine job that it was ok as it is 😀
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Just a quick heads-up for a current Heron chiller buy that is divine. Look for black wax-wrapped mini truckles of Wensleydale Creamery's Mature Cheddar with Black Sheep Brewery's Riggwelter Ale. £1.
    This is a very, very creamy Cheddar, not suitable for grating, but that would be a waste. It's a lovely strong, mature Cheddar, up there with Colliers' Cheddar in terms of flavour, but much softer and creamier.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Spotted in the Heron I was in today
    . Packs of 12 McVities Jaffa Cakes - 39p - didn't check the date, Yet had the shrunken twin pack for £1. Pointed this out to a customer
    . Doritos Heat Burst chips, both Salsa and BBQ -39p date 27/1
    . Cadbury Dairy Milk Oreo Peanut butter 120g - 2 for £1 - dated early March
    . Coco Community organic coconut water 250ml - 30p - dated mid Feb
    . Philadelphia Flip n Dip all flavours 130g - 4 for £1 dated 25-28 Jan. The supermarkets are charging £1.50 each!
    . Muller Fruitopolis 4 pots - Raspberry and another fruit - 69p dated 24th Jan

I didn't check the frozen stuff as got no room in the freezer!
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wish I had a Heron or Farmfoods near me, seems like there are some great bargains in both!
  • pws52
    pws52 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As a result of reading this thread I paid my first visit to a Heron store having driven past it many times!

I bought some frozen battered white fish, £1.50 for four good sized pieces.
    Just eaten one....so impressed I intend buying more next time I pass.
    Also bought some fusilli pasta which was 10p cheaper than Aldi.
    Branston Baked Beans were three tins for £1.

Wish I had visited before!
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    pws52 wrote: »
    As a result of reading this thread I paid my first visit to a Heron store having driven past it many times!

Yay, a convert! Whisper it, but some of the white fish with a tempura batter is that sold by a major retailer for three times the price. The Xsell fish may be slightly mis-shapen or have a bit of coating missing. That's it. Plus no expensive packaging where you can't see what you are buying.
    Thank you for posting, and helping to spread the word. :T
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pws52 wrote: »

Unfortunately you've found it just as B&M have taken it over and the prices are going up,also the good but cheap frozen veg that was 2 for £1 is now a victim of shrinkflation and is in a bigger pack at an increased price so we pay more and get less.It's still worth a visit but but I don't go as often now.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    Unfortunately you've found it just as B&M have taken it over and the prices are going up,also the good but cheap frozen veg that was 2 for £1 is now a victim of shrinkflation and is in a bigger pack at an increased price so we pay more and get less.It's still worth a visit but but I don't go as often now.

With the exception of the veg, I haven't noticed that much change, tbh. The bread is more expensive than Aldi, and many of the standard 'dry' lines are the same price as Aldi, but you do get a brand name for your money, if you are of the opinion that they are better, (I'm not).
    However, this was always the case. The specials are the ones to look for.

I'm pleased the cooking bacon is back, it's now Irish, rather than Danish, incidentally. I would recommend going earlier in the day, than later, but sometimes mine re-stocks mid afternoon, so you never quite know if the super-duper bargains will be in stock.
    Yogurts are usually very good value, cottage cheese and 'standard' cheese is often cheaper in Aldi, but you get great value speciality cheeses and meats, quite often.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The upside for me shopping at Heron is that it is near the bus stop. The downside is no unit pricing though most prices compare well.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Herons have gone right down hill. OK if you don't have transport to get to Aldi or somewhere, or passing by and popping in for a couple of bits. But certainly not worth a trip on it's own as the range and choice of stock is so dire these days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure