Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Went into Heron today and those pistachio Magnums are still 6 for £1.49. I left them again in the freezer.

I bought from the X-Sell freezer a twin pack of spinach and ricotta lasagne 300g each for 99p. Though the label says 'Home Foods'. Is this a different company to X-Sell or just a different name, same company?

Has anyone tried them?
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Went into Heron today and those pistachio Magnums are still 6 for £1.49. I left them again in the freezer.

I bought from the X-Sell freezer a twin pack of spinach and ricotta lasagne 300g each for 99p. Though the label says 'Home Foods'. Is this a different company to X-Sell or just a different name, same company?

Has anyone tried them?

I've tried a spinach and ricotta lasagne from Heron a few years ago and it was fine. Hadn't seen them since in my store. Not noticed any changes in labelling.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 3 March 2017 at 10:56AM
    Options
    Dry goods
    Rubicon Lemon & Lime Drink 500 ml 5 for £1 or 25p each

Ribena RTD 500ml var. flavours 3 for £1 or 39p

Blue Dragon Sweet and Sour Sauce 120g 29p

Rajah Coconut Milk 400ml tin 2 for £1, 59p

Kelloggs Crunchy Nut Bars 4 pack 2 for £1 59p

Kelloggs Ancient Grains muesli 79p

Kelloggs porridge sachets 5 sachet pack for 59p, 2 packs for £1

Allinson's plain and SR flour - didn't see the price but not seen it before. 1.5kg bags.

Chiller
    Misshapes Bacon still 2 x 900g for £1.49. This week it was a mix of rashers and gammon chunks/gammon chops.

Eastleigh Pastrami 200g 69p I'm not sure if this had been mis-priced in my store. It's normally twice this. I bought 2 packs.

German meatballs plain/hot & spicy 200g £1 (Hot & spicy not that spicy, really)

New Covent Garden Soups 600g 2 for £1 59p each

Activia Mixed Fruit Yogurts 12 pack £1.49

Somerset Brie 200g 99p

Laughing Cow Mini Cravings cheese cubes 89p

Muller Light Layers Choc & Caramel 4 for 89p

Freezer
    Small (500ml?) tubs of straticella type ice-cream, 3 for £1.

Pistachio Magnums 6 for £1.50

Albert Bartlett Rooster Potato Wedges 750g 99p (in the mega-bargains freezer)

XSell ready cooked spicy chicken strips 300g £1.25

XSell smoked haddock fishcakes 5 for £1.25

XSell ready cooked skinless chicken breast fillets 500g £1.50

XSell salmon kievs 8 for £1.25
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I see Lidl have started doing the misshaped bacon. £1.15kg called cooking bacon.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 14 March 2017 at 3:18AM
    Options
    Dry Goods
    Minions banana flavoured Tic Tacs 4 49g packs for £1

Rubicon mango juice with coconut water 1 litre (think this was 2 for £1)

Tins of Heinz Garden Peas 4 for £1

Bassetts Jelly Babies 2 for £1 59p each

Gunna Steelworks Cola with ginger 330 ml 39p

Walkers Crisps Tear & Share bowl 150g 59p

'Grain' Raisin and Almond Granola 500g 99p

'Grain' Muesli 500g 99p

Jumbo Kelloggs Coco Pops 99p

Ritz Crisp and Thin Salted 100g 49p

Dolmio Pesto Basil 180g 69p

Heinz Squeezy Bottle Ketchup 340g 75p

Chocolate Nestle Hallow'een Novelties 4 for £1

Chiller
    2x 300g Cotswold Back Bacon smoked/unsmoked £1.49

Muller Bliss Corner Whipped Greek Yogurt with Blueberries 4 pack £1

Jus Rol Puff Pastry Blocks (standard and gluten free) 3 for £1 39p each Can be frozen

My First Petit Filous Vanilla 6 x 47g 39p (reduced to 19p in mine)

Boursin Black Pepper soft cheese 150g 39p

German Ardennes Pate 200g £1.00

Seriously Strong Grated Cheddar 180g £1.00

Truckle Bros Red Hot Dutch cheese 200g 89p

Bertolli Olive Oil Spread 250g 69p

Various Primula cheese spreads 89p

Frozen

3 x 500g Hazelbrook Farm strawberry ice cream £1

8 Birds Eye Cinnamon Waffles 2 packs for £1

Maxibon Cookies choc ices 4 for £1

XSell pork grillsteaks 8 + 2 free £1.50

15 Extra Large Wraps 1.4kg (in XSell freezer) 99p

Kraft Macaroni Cheese with Bacon Ready Meal 380g 69p (Had this for supper - very impressed, lots of minced bacon bits in it and tasted great)

XSell Luxury Thai Salmon / Smoked Salmon Fishcakes 600g £1.25

McCain's Microwave Chips 2 x two 100g packs £1.50 (I think)

XSell Mushroom Risotto Rissoles 4 for £1

As well as all the usual suspects.
    ( One more for Dry Goods) Bags of Allinson's flour that were £1 in Poundworld are 89p in Heron Foods .
  • geordielass
    geordielass Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldn't reccommend the cinnamon waffles, they are pretty awful, I tried them then threw the rest in the bin.
    He who smiles rather than rages is always
    the stronger
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I wouldn't reccommend the cinnamon waffles, they are pretty awful, I tried them then threw the rest in the bin.

Thanks, that might explain why the freezer was overflowing with them. They are one item I didn't buy.

The 'Grain' Raisin and Almond granola I can recommend. It's in a bag rather than a box. I just had it for brekky with 3x 47g fromage frais that were half price for 6 at 19p. So a luxury brekky for c. 20p.

The Gunna cola/ginger was also lovely - a really refreshing drink.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    From what I could recall in Heron this morning
    3x 2 litre Irn Bru Extra (sugar free) £1
    4 pack Muller Light Greek Style - orange only 79p - with an brilliant date for them 30/4
    Philadelphia Deliciously Whipped cheese 140g in garlic and herbs and olives flavours - 49p - Tesco sell it for £2. Date was 17th and 18th April
    60g Mattessons Fridge Raiders - 39p in Tikka, Peri Peri and the one in the yellow packet
    Birds Eye pancakes and waffles with 6 and 8 respectively per box - 2 for £1. They are £1,50 each in the supermarkets/
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    From what I could recall in Heron this morning
    3x 2 litre Irn Bru Extra (sugar free) £1
    4 pack Muller Light Greek Style - orange only 79p - with an brilliant date for them 30/4
    Philadelphia Deliciously Whipped cheese 140g in garlic and herbs and olives flavours - 49p - Tesco sell it for £2. Date was 17th and 18th April
    60g Mattessons Fridge Raiders - 39p in Tikka, Peri Peri and the one in the yellow packet
    Birds Eye pancakes and waffles with 6 and 8 respectively per box - 2 for £1. They are £1,50 each in the supermarkets/

Deep thanks, will investigate my store over the weekend. The Philly Whipped is gorgeous, had that before in Heron. I suspect it's a new product launch failure, though.
    I think the Fridge Raiders yellow packet is Roasted flavour. I periodically buy these in Heron then remember as I eat the first one that I don't like them that much, bargain or not...! :o
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 6 April 2017 at 2:40AM
    Options
    Just a quickie - if you have signed up to the Heron Foods email, check your inbox for a Happy Easter email - it has a link to a £1 off a £10 spend printable voucher. Expiry date 20th April, and you can print more than one voucher, so if you have multi-spends coming up, you can save a few quid.
    If you sign up for offers you will also receive a voucher.
    Link to sign up page for email offers: http://www.heronfoods.com/signup
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure