🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Is never having a worked a bad thing?

Options

Comments

• tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    morganedge wrote: »
    800K could last most of a lifetime, couldn't it??
    Lots of people only earn around 15k per year.
    It would take them 50 odd years to ever amass that amount.

From age 16, money runs out at age 66?
    Then get pension money.
    They don't need much of a backup plan, do they?

Not much of a life earning £15K a year :(
  • morganedge
    morganedge Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »

Tell me about it! :)
    It's all i've ever earnt. Lots of people I know, too.
    Can't all be life success stories, unfortunately.
    Besides, you're very well compensated by not having to actually waste you life working, making someone else rich!
    I imagine that's the whole point behind the OP's friends decision.
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    tomtontom wrote: »

It's plenty for a nice quiet life.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Tell me about it! :)
    It's all i've ever earnt. Lots of people I know, too.
    Can't all be life success stories, unfortunately.
    Besides, you're very well compensated by not having to actually waste you life working, making someone else rich!
    I imagine that's the whole point behind the OP's friends decision.

But as already said, with that money you could set yourself up in business so you would not be working for someone else - then you'll have a capital investment and an income.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    800K could last most of a lifetime, couldn't it??
    Lots of people only earn around 15k per year.
    It would take them 50 odd years to ever amass that amount.

From age 16, money runs out at age 66?
    Then get pension money.
    They don't need much of a backup plan, do they?
    You could live of investments for the rest of your life quite comfortably with no mortgage to pay etc
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Proc
    Proc Posts: 860 Forumite
    edited 26 March 2014 at 8:01PM
    Options
    but without the hell of working 9-5 for 5 days per week

If your work is "hell" then you're in the wrong job.

I take about 3 months out of work every year. There's no way I could just sit around in the pub, gym, or following football teams. To me, that is "hell"...and completely monotonous.

I like to travel places, see new cultures. Recently got back from a trip around Isle of Skye and part of Scotland. Due to friends and camping the costs were minimal (I probably spent less on a typical night than if I sat festering in a pub) and I've seen things that were amazing. Within a week I got within 10 feet of a young seal, saw the Fairy Pools at sunrise, played in snow near some castle ruins, watched sunset from a lighthouse on a gusty peninsula, and saw dolphins.

This is nothing to do with using money, as it is using free time.

Your friend just sounds boring, with or without money, as he hasn't taken good advantage of his time (which is far more valuable than money). Sadly, now the money is drying up, he is pretty unemployable so probably won't be able to maintain his mundane lifestyle of drink and football.
  • morganedge
    Options
    You could live of investments for the rest of your life quite comfortably with no mortgage to pay etc

Or that, yes.
    Either way, you could live a comfortable life money wise, with the HUGE added bonus of not having to be a slave for 50 years of you life!

Lucky guy, I say!

People do tend to get stick for not working and I agree with the other poster in that it's usually just jealousy. deep down.
    Look at your facebook feed on a Monday morning to see how much people truly like going to work!!
  • morganedge
    Options
    Proc wrote: »
    If your work is "hell" then you're in the wrong job.

I take about 3 months out of work every year. There's no way I could just sit around in the pub, gym, or following football teams. To me, that is "hell"...and completely monotonous.

I like to travel places, see new cultures. Recently got back from a trip around Isle of Skye and part of Scotland. Due to friends and camping the costs were minimal (I probably spent less on a typical night than if I sat festering in a pub) and I've seen things that were amazing. Within a week I got within 10 feet of a young seal, saw the Fairy Pools at sunrise, played in snow near some castle ruins, watched sunset from a lighthouse on a gusty peninsula, and saw dolphins.

This is nothing to do with using money, as it is using free time.

Your friend just sounds boring, with or without money, as he hasn't taken good advantage of his time (which is far more valuable than money). Sadly, now the money is drying up, he is pretty unemployable so probably won't be able to maintain his mundane lifestyle of drink and football.

But in fairness, different people like different things.

Sounds like he's spent his time doing what he likes to do!
    (he may be like me, and couldn't care less about other cultures, camping, lighthouses, castle ruins etc)
    So, that IS taking advantage of ones time.

Lifes about doing what you like doing, as often as you can

It's normative idealisation, in a way
  • Proc
    Proc Posts: 860 Forumite
    Options
    But in fairness, different people like different things.

Sounds like he's spent his time doing what he likes to do!
    (he may be like me, and couldn't care less about other cultures, camping, lighthouses, castle ruins etc)
    So, that IS taking advantage of ones time.

Lifes about doing what you like doing, as often as you can

It's normative idealisation, in a way

I don't disagree. But OP's question was "Is never having worked a bad thing?" and in this instance I think the answer is yes.

Not only has the OP's friend been doing nothing in terms of work, he's also been doing nothing of interest. If he could say "yes, I've been unemployed, but I used my funds to travel to remote parts of the world, help build a village, invest in some rental properties, start a small charity" he at least appears to have motivation and sense.

Sadly, he appears to have neither. I guess whether you deem that as good or bad is subjective. Having never worked isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can be detrimental to your future employment if you do nothing valuable with your time.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im not sure I couldn't stop work altogether, Ive been out work before and it was boring, obviously its dependant how much I won/had access to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport