PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chips

Options

Comments

• davholla
    davholla Posts: 523 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just to tag onto this -what do you lovely old stylers do with the cuttings from potatoes that have been used for chips?
    When I used to make my own chips there were no cuttings left over.
  • carlamarie_2
    carlamarie_2 Posts: 1,038 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I also buy 25kg bags of spuds, these cost me £6 from a local farm.
    It works for me as the spuds are all rounders, I chip, boil, roast, mash, hassleback, wedge and jacket them. Found no problems doing any of these, taste just fine. At the minute we are trying to pay some debt we have accumulated and being able to buy one potato to do all the jobs is very economical for us.

Previous to this I was buying McCain homefries, I would NEVER go back to paying what I was for chips. Especially as I was lucky to get two meals worth out of the one bag.
    I have also bought the morrisons basic frying chips which cost £1.40 for a decent sized bag (could be 2kg, I can't remember) which were good value, but one bag could have nice size chips in and the next bag could be scabby spiky little bits.

So for me, spuds win hands down!
    Mummy to ds 29/12/06 dd 10/2/08 ds 25/5/11
    :Amy angel born too soon 18/11/12, always with me Emmie Faith:A

15 projects in 2015 10/15completed
  • babes21
    babes21 Posts: 1,665 Forumite
    Options
    I love homemade chips but I hate the smell of them from the fryer.
  • minimacka
    minimacka Posts: 777 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We were having a very quick tea last week and (pie and chips) we were in a rush so my o/h said to go to the chip shop for the chips, I got 2 big portions of chips (did 4 people) and they cost me £5 I couldn't believe how much they were. Needless to say we have now bought a big sack of potatoes and will be making time to do our own. I haven't bought chips from a chip shop in such a long time.
    mm
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    no peelings here either - I just scrub them well and make 'skin on chips'.
  • Evil_Olive
    Evil_Olive Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me too Meritaten :D
    The crispy skin tastes lovely - lots of fibre too :)
    Don’t try to keep up with the Jones’s. They are broke!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I make my own oven chips or wedges, currently from a bag of potatoes from Farmfoods at 26/27p per kg.

I used to buy McCain Rustic but the price just kept going up and up. I didn't mind at 2 for a £ in FF but now they're £1.80 for a 1kg bag they can stay where they are!

The cooking time is virtually the same so I'm not paying an extra £1.50+ a kilogram for a spray of oil!
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 31 March 2014 at 6:30PM
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    no peelings here either - I just scrub them well and make 'skin on chips'.

Same here. A good scrub, peel off any scabby bits/eyes if there are any, cut into chips, lay on parchment on baking tray, bung in cold fan oven set to 200°C, switch on, take out 30 minutes later and eat :)

Can't be doing with oil and chip pans and the smell and the fire risk ...
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I never buy frozen chips.

I always make them from spuds.

I cut them thick (1/2"), wash away excess starch, microwave to soften, then 5 minutes in 180 degree oil.

Perfect chips every time. :cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    minimacka wrote: »
    I couldn't believe how much they were.

Have you seen the price of slices/scallops/fritters/smacks/specials recently? :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure