PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chips

Options
Is it cheaper to buy chips or make them from potatoes? I saw in tescos chips a lot cheaper per kg than potatoes but I wonder if they have got added water.

Comments

• newthrift
    newthrift Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have never properly sat and worked it out. For us it's cheaper to make them, as we have a 25kg sack of potatoes for £5.00 and this lasts us 3months, and a bag of chips at Ald* is £1.00 which usually last's us for 2 - 3 x meals. I do always have a bag in frozen just incase.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year :santa2:
    Mum to two boys :heartpuls
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Options
    For us, we rarely have potatoes in any shape or form so it's easier and cheaper to just have some frozen ones in. It's all relative to your use.

Xx
  • Evil_Olive
    Evil_Olive Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that an oven uses a lot more fuel than a hotplate so that has to be taken into account as well if you're buying the 'oven chip' variety of frozen chips.

I find home made in a chip pan loads cheaper than even value brand frozen if you buy a big bag of pots and they taste so much nicer.
    I also keep a bag of frozen for emergencies/when I'm short of time and for when I'm doing the meat/fish part of the meal in the oven anyway...
    Don’t try to keep up with the Jones’s. They are broke!
  • davholla
    davholla Posts: 523 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    newthrift wrote: »
    I have never properly sat and worked it out. For us it's cheaper to make them, as we have a 25kg sack of potatoes for £5.00 and this lasts us 3months, and a bag of chips at Ald* is £1.00 which usually last's us for 2 - 3 x meals. I do always have a bag in frozen just incase.
    Where did you get 25Kg of potatoes from?
  • davholla
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    AnnieO1234 wrote: »
    For us, we rarely have potatoes in any shape or form so it's easier and cheaper to just have some frozen ones in. It's all relative to your use.

Xx
    Are you sure that it cheaper?
  • Evil_Olive
    Evil_Olive Posts: 322 Forumite
    Options
    davholla - I think Annie01234 meant that, because they hardly ever eat potatoes at all, fresh ones would go off before they could eat them all - in which case the slightly more expensive frozen chips make more financial sense in her situation because there's no wastage.
    Don’t try to keep up with the Jones’s. They are broke!
  • davholla
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evil_Olive wrote: »
    davholla - I think Annie01234 meant that, because they hardly ever eat potatoes at all, fresh ones would go off before they could eat them all - in which case the slightly more expensive frozen chips make more financial sense in her situation because there's no wastage.
    Thanks that makes sense
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Supermarket value spuds are about 50p per kilo, cheapest oven chips I've seen are about 65p per kilo. I use both!
  • Charlton_King
    Charlton_King Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    davholla wrote: »
    Where did you get 25Kg of potatoes from?

I'll second that. Who on earth is selling spuds for 20p/kg these days..?
  • davenport151
    Options
    Just to tag onto this -what do you lovely old stylers do with the cuttings from potatoes that have been used for chips?
    Back on the trains again!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport