PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chips

Options

Comments

• tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I enjoy making oven chips. I just peel them, slice them into chips, give them a light coating of oil, then into the oven for thirty minutes or so. Minimal effort and they taste delicious.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use real spuds in the actifry taste better than frozen ones, but always have an 'emergency' bag of frozen chips in the freezer to fill teenage tums if needed. Never priced them up though.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • davholla
    davholla Posts: 523 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    joolzred wrote: »
    Supermarket value spuds are about 50p per kilo, cheapest oven chips I've seen are about 65p per kilo. I use both!
    Actually at tesco I saw chips less per kilo than spuds - but I think they have added water.
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    davholla wrote: »
    Where did you get 25Kg of potatoes from?

Several farmshops near me sell 25kg sacks. Not quite as cheap as £5, but between £8-12 last time I asked, depending on variety
  • burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    hi .. I also picked up a 25kg bag 2 days ago for £5, local veg shop ..
    £223/ £250 GC
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evil_Olive wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that an oven uses a lot more fuel than a hotplate so that has to be taken into account as well if you're buying the 'oven chip' variety of frozen chips.

I find home made in a chip pan loads cheaper than even value brand frozen if you buy a big bag of pots and they taste so much nicer.
    I also keep a bag of frozen for emergencies/when I'm short of time and for when I'm doing the meat/fish part of the meal in the oven anyway...

I'm not so sure about that. You only have to heat up some air to about 200C in the oven, whereas what temperature does a chip pan have to be and and crucially the specific heat capacity of cooking/vegetable oil is going to be a lot higher than air at a given volume.
    Though obviously you oven may be X times larger than the volume of oil used in the fryer.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Morrisons and Farmfoods are selling unwashed taters at present...about 28p kg...farm gate or boot sale prices are from £5 per 25kg.. 20p kg.
    Lidl cheap chips are 53p kg but as mentioned maybe a lot of water.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 March 2014 at 10:47AM
    Options
    Just to tag onto this -what do you lovely old stylers do with the cuttings from potatoes that have been used for chips?

Boiling them up for a warm mash for the hens :D
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you scrub the potatoes well before you peel them for chips then the peelings can be sprayed with low fat or drizzled with oil , herbs, garlic or spices sprinkled over and baked on oven tray till golden.

They come out of the oven like posh crisps and if you don't let on what they are everyone likes them.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    If you scrub the potatoes well before you peel them for chips then the peelings can be sprayed with low fat or drizzled with oil , herbs, garlic or spices sprinkled over and baked on oven tray till golden.

They come out of the oven like posh crisps and if you don't let on what they are everyone likes them.

As the fryers on, why not just fry the crisps?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure