Can someone walk me through the ALAMO car hire process

Options
Never been to the US or used a hire car before. Got an Alamo car hire included with Thomson. I have paid for fully inclusive so assume i don't need any of the extras they will try and sell?

What is the procedure on collecting my suitcases - do i have to find my way to an alamo desk?
how long can i expect the total process from getting through security and driving away to take?
Coming back to the airport, how long do i need to factor in for returning the car?

TIA

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Where are you going?

Some rental companies are 'on airport', meaning within a short walking distance. For others you need to take a shuttle bus, after collecting your suitcases.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    What does your fully inclusive mean (dont assume anything). If it means all the insurances that you require and maybe a full tank of fuel and extra driver and you really dont need anything else then check what you are signing for on the paperwork at collection and decline any extras.

AS above depends where you are going.

Total process could take a couple of hours (or longer) if its you first point of entry
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2014 at 8:28AM
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    What does your fully inclusive mean
    Assuming OP's going to Florida,http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/features/car-hire/car-hire-inclusive-packages-florida.html
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2014 at 8:44AM
    Options
    A few other possible additional costs:
    Sales tax.
    Charge for additional driver(s).
    Charge for young driver(s).
    Charge for child seat rental.

If you need to get a shuttle bus (also called a courtesy bus), these are free and in most cases there are separate ones operated by each car rental company. During normal hours they rotate continuously round the airport terminals and the relevant car rental depot. However, arrangements differ quite considerably between airports which is why an earlier poster asked where you were flying to.

Returning the car is usually very quick unless there have been any problems that need to be sorted out. Be sure to pack up all your stuff before setting out for the airport, so you can grab everything quickly. Then you obviously need to allow for the time to get from the rental car company's location to the airport terminal.

Are you ok regarding the different rules regarding driving in the USA (turning right on red traffic lights, four-way stops, school buses, HOV/car pool lanes)? Also, if you've never driven an automatic car before it would be worth having a short drive in one in this country beforehand if possible. All this is nothing to get worried about, just a few things to be aware of.

It would be worth using Google Maps and StreetView to "drive" (in a virtual sense) the route you'll take from the car rental depot to your first night's accommodation.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • John259
    First Anniversary
    Options
    A few more details about what happens when you pick up the car:

After doing the paperwork in the office, you then proceed to the car. Sometimes there will be a bay number where you'll find it, sometimes you just have to go by the licence plate number. Usually the doors are unlocked and the key is in the ignition.

If necessary, fit child seats and make sure the rear doors are locked to prevent children opening them accidentally.

Make sure everyone, front and back, is wearing a seat belt.

Discover how to open the driver's side window - because you'll probably need to show the rental agreement to the exit gate guard, and if relevant you'll need it open to pay tolls (and make sure you've got some low value notes and some coins handy for that).

In summer especially in Florida it's also very useful to know where the air conditioning controls are.
  • John259
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Here's a few informative YouTube videos about car rental at Orlando Airport, but as previously mentioned the layout at other airports might be rather different.

Pickup (Dollar):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_5pjZlWV3A

Return (Alamo, just the immediate airport area):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utI23W3d8es

Return (Alamo, starting some way from the airport, includes paying a toll and shows typical US signposting on interstate-style highways):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj0NkhhxywA
  • headpin
    headpin Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can at most major Florida airport location check in with Alamo in advance before you travel. You can then either fast track at the Kiosk or use the self serve machines to get your rental agreement etc. Check your Holiday Co site and the Alamo website to see if available. It certainly is at MCO (Orlando International) and Miami. Alamo also operate the pick your own car in Florida. You just go to the parking lot and pick your own car from the category you have booked.

Many highways in Florida, and especially around the big cities and tourist attractions, are Toll Roads. If you are there for a couple of weeks I would budget about $30 -$50 for tolls. All the big rental companies, including Alamo, use the electronic tag system which means you go through the lane for vehicles with tags and do not need to stop to pay cashat the booth. You are billed direct to your CC by Alamo for the tolls (at the Cash or Toll by Plate rate) plus a fee for the service which is a maximum of $14.75 per rental or $2.95 for every day you incur a Toll, whichever is the lowest. You. Get the bill about 4 - 8 weeks after the rental ends. See the Sunpass.com site for more details on rental companies and tolls.

Most UK holiday company rental that are fully inclusive are usually that. You do not need anything else. Alamo all inclusive is also normally with a Zero excess, so nothing to pay so long as you abide by the rental T&C's.

Driving in the US is easier than in the UK, IMO, just take the first. Few miles easy and remember not all their laws are the same i.e. Turning right on a red light, undertaking, etc.

If you are intending to travel around you maybe asked by Alamo if you wish to rent a SATNAV or GPS as they call them. I would decline and visit Walmart where you will be able to buy one for less than they will charge for 14 days. I'm now on my second as it was cheaper to buy a new model (with free for life map update and traffic) than pay TOMTOM to update their maps. You can get a basic model for around $75plus tax. Rental companies charge around $12 per day!!!
  • rsclark
    rsclark Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks everyone
    Thomson rep just rang to sell me some currency
    Says on collecting suitcases make my way to alamo desk although this differs to info on my e-ticket.. tried the alamo webiste but struggled to find anything of use. i don't have an alamo booking reference - just a voucher with my me-ticket saying take to Thomson desk at airport to get car hire paperwork. Guess after a 9 hour flight its going to be another few before i am on my way!!!
  • John259
    First Anniversary
    edited 20 March 2014 at 12:50PM
    Options
    OP - if you could say which airport you're flying to then someone here might know for sure. Also, you could try the airport's own web site for more information.

UPDATE: The OP mentions Thomson, and as far as I can discover the only airport they fly to in the USA is Sanford (near Orlando) - is that right?
  • John259
    First Anniversary
    edited 21 March 2014 at 10:07AM
    Options
    If I'm right with my guess about it being Sanford, then this official Sanford International Airport video on YouTube is definitely well worth viewing as it steps through the entire international arrival and departure processes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3ZIkp4y1I
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family