PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May: Pin Money Savings Challenge

Options

Comments

• nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We didn't have a window cleaner when we first moved in a year ago but I asked one to start calling as we almost live on a main road, all the delivery trucks (and buses/coaches) seem to use our road as a cut through to avoid 2/3 sets of traffic lights to get to the local shops, so our windows were regularly filthy. Now that I'm in a more money saving as opposed to "Martha Stewart clean" frame of mind I think I'll cancel him. The only window I will definitely have trouble reaching is the bathroom window (I can lean out the others and stretch or buy a long handled squeegie thing which will probably pay for it's self quite quickly as window cleaner is £2.50 a fortnight) but then again that's frosted anyway so it isn't that obvious when thats dirty so I can make that an occasional clean as opposed to fortnightly. Beside which, our windowcleaner only comes on a Wednesday every other week, in theory, but in wet weather it's less often.
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • Mrs_Thrift
    Mrs_Thrift Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options
    lucky111 wrote:
    HI, Im new here, iv been reading all the postings, and its very interesting, im going to have a go, and try the ideas of pin money,, hopefully you will be seeing me more, my first aim is to, walk to work, instead of the car, and that way it should help me get fitter.

Welcome aboard! :)

Good luck with the walking, that's one of the best things about Old Style changes - so many of them are good for your health as well as your pocket! (Apart from the lovely HM puds, of course :rolleyes: )

And it's a great feeling buying things at Boots with your points isn't it? I always get a guilty thrill at getting things for "free"!
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The main reason our window cleaner is getting the sack is because Misterholic noticed that he wasn't doing one of the windows as it was over the conservatory. (He noticed as we were moving our room into said room.) While he was happy to "let him off", due to H&S constraints, we discovered, from watching one of our neighbours, that all our upstairs windows apart from the bathroom can be swung around from the inside to aid right/lefthanded cleaning from the inside. So as he now knows he doesn't have to go up a ladder, MisterH is happier for us to do them ourselves.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I noticed the last time our came that he leaves streaks on the windows and doesn't clear up after himself either (wiping the window sil over) unlike the one who used to clean the windows on the first house I lived in (when at home with parents) which is just down the road and across a street who always did an excellent job and is still going. Mum told me he used to clean her windows before I was born, I'm now 26 and he's still going, even if he is looking a little greyer!!

I am really not impressed with our windowcleaner. I've been considering "sacking" him for a while, but now my mind is made up, better to save the money and do it myself, when OH is here of course when doing the one I need to lean dangerously out of. Then again, OH is taller, lighter and not likely to go through the kitchen roof so I might just send him out to do the bathroom one now and then as well. :j:D
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • spendaholic
    Options
    We're in a new-ish house too - new to us and only 4 yrs old - and the other neighbours were using this one cleaner, so I hired him too. But the neighbours have been gradually sacking him because he's not been cleaning their windows properly - although we've only had the window over the conservatory to complain about - and they found out why. It's because he makes the same bucket of water last until it's almost freezing cold.

My mom used to clean our windows with scrunched up newspaper. How does that work?
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

My mom used to clean our windows with scrunched up newspaper. How does that work?

A spray bottle with 50:50 vinegar/water (you might have known vinegar was involved somewhere ;) ) and scrunched up newspaper is the best thing for smear-free clean windows :D

Edit: Oooops sorry just noticed you ask how it works ... if you spray the windows and wipe with soft cloth to get rid of dirt and marks then use the scrunched up paper to buff the windows to a shine :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• spendaholic
    Options
    Both replies were great, CQ, and I've gone off topic anyway. Should have opened a new thread ... ooh-er.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    Spendaholic, there are loads of cleaning tips in the cleaning index in my signature (EDIT: it isn't in my signature, LOL, where'd it go :D but it is a sticky at the top of the main page of old style).

Are you using Flash or have you converted to vinegar and bicarb? It is amazing how much PMS you can get by switching cleaning products by just buying vinegar, bicarb and soda crystals (about 50p in the clothes washing section of the supermarket) you can clean pretty much everything in the house.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • bad_mum
    bad_mum Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I am brand new to these forums but I've bin reading all your threads and you all seem so kind and caring so I decided to join in! I'm newly separated after 17yrs so becoming a single parent of 4 and down to one wage instead of two i desperatly need to save all my pennies. It seems so hard when my kids need and eat so much but with all your tips I have somewhere to start so no more wastage, I'm positive I can save some money somewhere :j Thanks to you all I feel inspired!
    I have 4 children as well, any yes they eat loads! Tesco for one isnt exactly helping in the saving money situation, we all need to be able to buy good quality food (without all the excess packaging) at a reasonalable price. Lets here it for good old fashioned grocery stores!, where it wasn't so much about outselling your competitiors but earning customer loyalty and good customer service. Oh yes and REAL food for sale not processed junk. I would love to feed my 4 growing children food that is good for them and that doesnt cost a fotrtune!! :T
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome to MoneySaving :)

We have plenty of recipes in our collections, many of which are economical, and these can be found by following the blue (The Indexes) in my signature below. We aslso have lots of hints on cleaning using the contents of your pantry in our "Save Zillions..." sticky at the top of the board.

Then there's making your own bread and slow cooking... shopping tips...
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport