Forum Home» Greenfingered MoneySaving

What Can I Grow In July?? - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

What Can I Grow In July??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
23 replies 10.5K views
13»

Replies

• tenuissenttenuissent Forumite
    335 posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    "Remove any flowers that appear if they are not pregnant with a baby courgette behind them but are on a thin stalk."

Sorry to butt in, but surely, if you do that, the "pregnant" flowers will not be germinated, so the courgette will not develop. This is particularly important if you have only one plant.

What does work is that if you have freshly opened flowers of both types (ie "pregnant" and "non pregnant"), push the pointy inside of the "non pregnant" one into the inside of the "pregnant" one, thus fertilising it. One "non-pregnant" flower can be used to fertilise several "pregnant" ones....

If you are interested, you can then eat the "non-pregnant" one. You can dip it into whipped up egg and fry it, or stuff it with almost anything (rice, mince, herbs...) before doing dipping and frying. It makes a nice little container for the stuffing. Flowers are sold in French/Italian etc markets for this purpose.
  • allie4allie4 Forumite
    4 posts
    Hiya,
    You can also sow fennel and swiss chard (the rainbow variety is particularly pretty).
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swiss Chard is a green leafy vegetable which looks rather like spinach. It's fairly hardy and will often last through the winter and sprout another fresh crop of young leaves in the spring.. Full of vitamins and you can still sow it now.