Finlux, - any good?

Options
j.e.j.
j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post
We're thinking about replacing our ancient CRT Toshiba tv, and quite like the look of the Finlux TV/DVD Combi (model: 22F6072-D). I'm not familiar with this brand at all, and wondered if anyone here's had any experience of using them?

It looks good and it seems to have good reviews on the Finlux website, but I gather Finlux is known as quite a 'cheap' make, so wondered if maybe the quality's not as good?

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    A 22" is at the lower end of the market these days - so there won't be much variation in price between one from a top manufacturer and the likes of Finlux.

Personally, I'd use a comparison site to compare Panasonic (my favourite), Toshiba, Sony, Philips, Samsung etc.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • j.e.j.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    A 22" is at the lower end of the market these days - so there won't be much variation in price between one from a top manufacturer and the likes of Finlux.

Personally, I'd use a comparison site to compare Panasonic (my favourite), Toshiba, Sony, Philips, Samsung etc.

Thanks, that's worth bearing in mind. Yes, we only need a small tv. I don't go for the huge 42-inch screens, though I know a lot of people do.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    j.e.j. wrote: »
    Thanks, that's worth bearing in mind. Yes, we only need a small tv. I don't go for the huge 42-inch screens, though I know a lot of people do.
    You're making me feel guilty having just spent some of the kid's inheritence on a 47" smart 3D TV!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • j.e.j.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ha ha, I just think my flat's a bit too small for such a big screen. My mum has a huge screen tv, though, and her house isn't that big.
  • Fruit_and_Nut_Case
    Options
    Check out these threads:

Finlux TVs

Finlux tellies any good?
    Are you for real? - Glass Half Empty??
    :coffee:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    You're making me feel guilty having just spent some of the kid's inheritence on a 47" smart 3D TV!
    47" ? That's tiny! :p
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Because of the aspect ratio a 22" LED/LED panel will look smaller than a 22" CRT TV so I would advise you to go for the next size up.

As you will see from the other relevant threads Finlux are just re-badged cheapies.

Having in the past repaired TV's I would always advise against buying any TV with built in DVD etc.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    keith1950 wrote: »
    I would always advise against buying any TV with built in DVD etc.
    I agree.
    An integrated DVD player makes for a much neater solution, but you have better and more reliable choice if you buy separately.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 March 2014 at 2:00PM
    Options
    Finlux is a brand name of the largest European tv manufacturer, Vestel who acquired it in 2006 and who also make many "own label" tv's for supermarkets etc and claim to manufacture 25% of all tv's sold in the UK . . . It's their own direct to market brand (only sold on-line, cutting out the retailer)

It started life in the 60's and has been bought and sold many times (Nokia owned it at one time)
    WikiPedia:

Wonder how many people have a Vestel tv and don't know it?

edit: they got 5 Stars from What HiFi and 'Best-Buy Tv' from The Sunday Times last year. You pays yer money, you takes yer choice . . .
  • corf999
    corf999 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Options
    Some of the cheaper Supermarket Sony TV's are Vestel
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business