Thomsons- No on line check in except with extra cost

Options
as far as we can see Thomson flights whether part of a package or just the flight do not have a standard on line check in with a baggage drop as standard. I believe you have to pay extra for this privilidge Easy Jet offer this facility free as standard so why not Thomson. it would save some of the horrendous queues to check in that often occur 2 hours before departue. I am not sure what Thomas Cook and Monarch's policy is on this issue.

Comments

• PaulPonting
    Options
    It would be useful if Thomson hsad a system for a check in on line and print off your boarding cards 24 hours before departure without an extra charrge and them just have a bagage drop. Surely this would help speed up check in being advantagous to both the airline and passengers.
  • rudebhoy
    rudebhoy Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we are flying with Thomsons to Mexico at Easter.

received a mail with the e-tickets the other day and this says they do online check-in

"You'll be checking-in online when you fly with Thomson Airways. You can just drop your luggage at the bag drop desk and go through security.
    If you're planning to drop your bags at the airport the day before, please note you must have checked-in online first.

Boarding cards must be printed on A4 paper and be clearly legible with no rips or tears. All bag drop desks will close promptly 45 minutes prior to scheduled time of departure, we recommend that you allow sufficient time to complete bag drop formalities.
    "

maybe they just do it for long-haul?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rudebhoy wrote: »
    we are flying with Thomsons to Mexico at Easter.

received a mail with the e-tickets the other day and this says they do online check-in

"You'll be checking-in online when you fly with Thomson Airways. You can just drop your luggage at the bag drop desk and go through security.
    If you're planning to drop your bags at the airport the day before, please note you must have checked-in online first.

Boarding cards must be printed on A4 paper and be clearly legible with no rips or tears. All bag drop desks will close promptly 45 minutes prior to scheduled time of departure, we recommend that you allow sufficient time to complete bag drop formalities.
    "

maybe they just do it for long-haul?

No: it is new.

I used them to go to Cuba, returning on Christmas Day. Electronic check-in was not available then, although they said they planned to introduce it.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 March 2014 at 9:23PM
    Options
    We are booked with Thomson for a package holiday to Gran Canaria flying out this Thursday so can give you the current check in process.

We didn't book specific seats or any other extras so the standard check in process is that you get an email requesting that you check in online 7 days or less. When I did this I found our seat numbers were pre-allocated (at no cost) but if we wanted to change them then a cost would be incurred. At this point you can still get extra baggage allowance/ food etc (at extra cost of course) and then proceed to print off your boarding cards for both outwards and return parts of the flight.

When we arrive at the airport we are to take our cases to the bag drop and then proceed to security.

Just a bit of extra info re the online checkin. First of all, you should have input your passport details etc in advance. There is a link in an email you are sent to do this and it is the same link you need to complete your online checkin and print your boarding passes.

The booking code for security and online checkin uses a code from your original booking. It is a straight 7 digit code and is your Flight Booking Reference as detailed someway down your original reservation. You access the area for all of this via API Login on the upper right of their main Home screen (not Manage My Booking).

So basically, there is one area for details of your holiday etc and another purely for flight related information including passport details and boarding passes.

Hope this helps.
  • HitAndMiss
    HitAndMiss Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    I presume there is a clearly defined area for bag drop at Gatwick and Manchester as an alternative to the general check in desks.
  • JohnWhite
    JohnWhite Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Is being able to book in on line and very recent addition, We flew with Thomson from Gatwick North to Lanzarote in October and we were not offered on line check in then. Can you now print off your boarding card for both the outward and return journey or just for the outward journey. I hope someone may be able to clarify. Thanks
  • jomomang
    jomomang Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We went on a Thomson package holiday to Fuerteventura on 19th February this year and booked in on line the day before. I believe the facility to book in on line only started on 18th February.
  • BillLucas
    BillLucas Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    We have booked a package holiday flying with Thomsons. So far we have not got any information about printing out Boarding cards. We have checked the "Manage your Booking" section but there is no information there whatsover on this subject. Is this facility available for all Thomson departures at all UK airports and for the return journey at the European departure airport. How far in advance of you departure can you print off your boarding card. Do Thomsons advise you by E mail when you can do this.
  • BobWells
    BobWells Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    We were able to print our boarding cards 6 days before departure for our Thomson flights for both the outward and return journey. We did save a little time on the outbound journey but made absolutely no difference on the return journey as there was no separate check in for Bag Drop.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BillLucas wrote: »
    We have booked a package holiday flying with Thomsons. So far we have not got any information about printing out Boarding cards. We have checked the "Manage your Booking" section but there is no information there whatsover on this subject. Is this facility available for all Thomson departures at all UK airports and for the return journey at the European departure airport. How far in advance of you departure can you print off your boarding card. Do Thomsons advise you by E mail when you can do this.

Take a look at my post above (No 5). Flight and seating info is accessed via API Login not Manage Your Booking. I presume they are separated because some passengers may have just booked a flight and nothing else. Either way, I think Thomson make life difficult for us by doing this.

Having been on holiday and just got back I can see there are differences in the process depending on how you booked. When we were at the airport, there were two different check-in procedures. Those who seemed to have booked through a travel agent checked in as normal whereas those who had booked online (which was us) just used the bag drop.

When on the plane I got the impression that those who checked in at the airport and got their boarding cards from the check-in staff didn't get as good a seating allocation as us. We were allocated aisle and middle seats (at no extra cost) but the window seat was for one of a couple with her partner sitting behind her. In fact, quite a few people were unhappy with their seating arrangements and for around 10 minutes the cabin crew were trying to move them around into areas of empty rows.

We went from Birminghaam to Gran Canaria and had bag drops at the Thomson desks both ways.

We had an email come around 7 days before the holiday reminding us to print off our boarding cards (as described in my post above). If you booked through a travel agent then it may pay you to get to the airport early to ensure you get a decent seating allocation as my impression was that those passengers got what was left.

Have a good holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport