VHS player/dvd recorder ideas please

Options

Comments

• silkyuk9
    silkyuk9 Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    Options
    Set-top box DVD recorder penetration never really hit "critical mass" before they were superceded by hard disk recorders; I used several over the years and none lasted more than about 18 months (that was with heavy use, mind). The burn quality was often poor and a lot of the discs have already deteriorated - they didn't (and don't) have the longevity of VHS tapes.

For archival purposes, your best bet is to hook a video up to your computer and convert it to as high quality a digital format as you can. This can then be converted to whatever format you want in future but, more importantly, is easy to back up.

Tries it using EasyCap, the quality and sound was garbage
    All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
  • silkyuk9
    Options
    cookie365 wrote: »
    Boxing? That sounds familiar.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4710455&highlight=boxing

You asked the same thing last year.

And in 2010

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2725105&highlight=vhs

And in Summer 2011

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3330556&highlight=vhs

And later on that year

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3689951&highlight=vhs

And I'm losing the will to go through all your threads but it seems like you asked the same question in 2008 and 2009 too.

I'm assuming the questions are genuine - seems an odd thing to troll about - but it's clear you aren't ever going to do anything about it.

There may be history there, but it's obviously history you aren't interested in. Bin them now.

Yes I have asked this question before but I am not willing to pay £399 for a recorder. Of course I look on ebay frequently and have bidded on ones that are second hand but never gone above £70 for a second hand one. Yes, I then forget about the project as things come up and its not a really important part of my life that this has to be done. After a while I go up into the attic and see the boxes and off I go again. I am sure in all that time I could have purchased one you are correct but I do not frequent Ebay every day of my life. It is most likely that I do not get a recorder this next week and yes, maybe forget about it for another few months.

Its something I want to do at some point, if I had a recorder I would possibly do the job maybe one tape at a time over a period of a year or so.

Please do not be rude to me because ive asked before. I have not offended you or been rude to you. All im asking is ideas etc thats all. If you think im trolling please walk on. Sorry if that offends you.
    All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    silkyuk9 wrote: »
    Its something I want to do at some point, if I had a recorder I would possibly do the job maybe one tape at a time over a period of a year or so.
    I suspect after all that time in "mouldy" storage, your tapes will no longer be worth saving-if they are salvageable at all.

Have you checked their (viewing) condition?
  • cookie365
    cookie365 Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I have asked this question before but I am not willing to pay £399 for a recorder. Of course I look on ebay frequently and have bidded on ones that are second hand but never gone above £70 for a second hand one. Yes, I then forget about the project as things come up and its not a really important part of my life that this has to be done. After a while I go up into the attic and see the boxes and off I go again. I am sure in all that time I could have purchased one you are correct but I do not frequent Ebay every day of my life. It is most likely that I do not get a recorder this next week and yes, maybe forget about it for another few months.

Please do not be rude to me because ive asked before. I have not offended you or been rude to you. All im asking is ideas etc thats all. If you think im trolling please walk on. Sorry if that offends you.
    I didn't think I was being rude, and I said I didn't think you were a troll.

This is money saving expert, so I'm trying to help you avoid wasting money - and above all time - in what is clearly a pointless exercise.

If you never watch this stuff now, transferring it onto yesterday's technology isn't going to change that.
  • silkyuk9
    Options
    cookie365 wrote: »
    I didn't think I was being rude, and I said I didn't think you were a troll.

This is money saving expert, so I'm trying to help you avoid wasting money - and above all time - in what is clearly a pointless exercise.

If you never watch this stuff now, transferring it onto yesterday's technology isn't going to change that.

Im not saying I would watch all my collection of stuff every day, but I would like to go through the stuff one day and sort out the good stuff from the bad. Put some of my old fights on Youtube for other boxing enthusiasts to appreciate too. I have ex pro friends who have lost fights of theirs and possibly, well yes I know I have fights of them on VHS too.

My kids are adults and I have lots of VHS holidays, something to look back on, you know memories of happy days. Something we can show grandchildren one day. At least try to salvage something.

I truly do not have £399 for this job, im stuck between a rock and a hard place as I try to do this the cheapest but easiest way for me, hence I bought EasyCap but it was useless.

I look on Ebay from time to time to maybe spend around £50 on a secondhand one someone else has used for their project and does not need anymore. I simply do not have the funds to waste on a posh unit. I want to do this but it may take another year, or possibly 2 until I get the unit at a cheap reasonable price I can afford.

Its as simple as that really.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sillyuk - the one you posted in post #14 will do the job very nicely. You can also go cheaper of you go onto eBay or Gumtree but you say you don't have time for that - go for it!
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm not into boxing at all, but wouldn't suggest the OP bins all his tapes. If he's really not going to get around to doing the transfer, maybe another enthusiast would appreciate the chance to do it. If I could get hold of tapes of what passes for my sporting passion, I'd do it - the TV companies that showed it must have them, but there's no way to see them again. And if they're shot from the audience, these might be the only historical record of the event, so a society or museum might like them.
  • silkyuk9
    Options
    droopsnoot wrote: »
    I'm not into boxing at all, but wouldn't suggest the OP bins all his tapes. If he's really not going to get around to doing the transfer, maybe another enthusiast would appreciate the chance to do it. If I could get hold of tapes of what passes for my sporting passion, I'd do it - the TV companies that showed it must have them, but there's no way to see them again. And if they're shot from the audience, these might be the only historical record of the event, so a society or museum might like them.

There is a lot of history collected, its not just boxing, My son was on Heartbeat so would like to get that onto DVD, yes can buy the episode on dvd now but im giving examples. My wedding movie, around 6 tapes of 3 hours of holidays abroard, lots of other family outings that I filmed on camcorder and put onto VHS, all my homemade blue movies both myself and my wife took apart in. There are lots of history in my attic but just need to get the time to do it and the facility but the cost is a factor.

Funny thing about cost of things, Im looking for a old 60's suitcase style record player, you know the kind im going on about, the lift lid ones. I look on Ebay and what was 50p years ago in a auction room is now upto and over £300, crappy old damaged ones are around £40-£60
  • silkyuk9
    Options
    just missed one of those Panasonic ones on Gumtree £40.
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is a lot of history collected, its not just boxing, My son was on Heartbeat so would like to get that onto DVD, yes can buy the episode on dvd now but im giving examples. My wedding movie, around 6 tapes of 3 hours of holidays abroard, lots of other family outings that I filmed on camcorder and put onto VHS, all my homemade blue movies both myself and my wife took apart in. There are lots of history in my attic but just need to get the time to do it and the facility but the cost is a factor.

Slightly too much information, there. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure