VHS player/dvd recorder ideas please

Options
Hello Techies.

I have around 300 VHS tapes in my attic, some are starting to go a bit moldy so I really need a VHS player dvd recorder combi.

Im looking around and there seems to be plenty to choose from so would like ideas of reasonably priced unit.

I just want something simple, not bothered about all the freeview etc as when I have my VHS onto DVD will proberly sell the unit on.

I do not want to connect vhs player to any dvd recorder so im looking for 1 unit to do the job. Any ideas please.
All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.

Comments

• mwddrwg
    mwddrwg Posts: 519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure whether they do these new anymore.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-RDXV60-DVD-HDD-Recorder/dp/B003LO2RKI

Only one I can find
    In deep...
  • silkyuk9
    silkyuk9 Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    Options
    mwddrwg wrote: »
    Not sure whether they do these new anymore.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-RDXV60-DVD-HDD-Recorder/dp/B003LO2RKI

Only one I can find

£355 bit much for what I want to do.
    All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
  • RealGem
    RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    silkyuk9 wrote: »
    Hello Techies.

I have around 300 VHS tapes in my attic, some are starting to go a bit moldy so I really need a VHS player dvd recorder combi.

Im looking around and there seems to be plenty to choose from so would like ideas of reasonably priced unit.

I just want something simple, not bothered about all the freeview etc as when I have my VHS onto DVD will proberly sell the unit on.

I do not want to connect vhs player to any dvd recorder so im looking for 1 unit to do the job. Any ideas please.

I know you said you want one device, but I was looking to do this last year and the difference in price to having one device to having two devices connected was more than £200!

So I was prepared to go for two devices and I did them all in one go. Well, over about two weeks. Of course it also had to be in real time too. Don't know if the all-in-one devices do High Speed dubbing or not.

But the other question (especially if you are planning on getting rid of the device after converting all your VHS tapes) is, how much do these things depreciate?

It might be worth forking out initially if you can get most of your money back later. Otherwise you could try Ebay, making sure to only deal with 100% positive feedback of course.

I got two brilliant DVD /HDD recorders from Ebay and a VHS off Freecycle (I guess I was lucky, but there were no all-in-one devices with good enough feedback for me at the time).

Just looking at the Completed Listings for dvd vhs recorder on Ebay I see the average price for the first 10 items is £64! (though I didn't check the feedback for any of these).
    Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Options
    £355 bit much for what I want to do.

How much do you want to spend on the project, then?
  • AnthonyUK
    Options
    Try Argos for one of these;
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9127379.htm

It's got a multispeed hard drive/vcr and dvd in one.
  • AnthonyUK
    Options
    Or if don't want one with a hard drive then;

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5338959.htm
  • silkyuk9
    silkyuk9 Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    How much do you want to spend on the project, then?

not as much as that
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Options
    not as much as that

Well, the poster above has shown two Toshibas at £200 and £300.... is the cheaper of these still 'too much' ??
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought one of these combo devices from my local car boot sale for £5 a couple of years ago - it was one without a HDD, and I think it was analog tuner only, which is why it was cheap. If you're transferring VHS to DVD neither of those matter. Trouble is, a lot of people would have dumped such a device as soon as they couldn't record off the TV on it, so you have a limited number of them around.

I know you don't want to, but I think you'll find it much less expensive to get an old VHS player (must be easy to find those for around a tenner or less, or maybe if you've got 300+ tapes, you've also still got the VHS machine) and a basic DVD recorder.

A cautionary tale though. I retained my old JVC S-VHS machine and have it connected to my DVD/HDD recorder. Last week I figured I'd copy a couple of programmes from an old tape to disc so I could chuck the tape out. But because the VHS hasn't been used for ages, it now grabs the tape and doesn't want to give it back, or rewind it, or play it. Fortunately it hasn't damaged the tape itself, but keep in mind that whatever you get, if it's on a budget, will probably be old and might need some servicing.
  • Coveredinbees!!!!
    Options
    If you already have a VHS player you only need a cheap dvd recorder off ebay
    Nothing to see here, move along.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport