Tesco best before dates - online orders

Options
I do my shopping online with Tesco's for convenience. I ordered some grapes on Tuesday 25 Feb, with the 3+ days indicator and they arrived that evening with the best before date of Thursday 27 Feb. I didn't notice when they were delivering, but noticed afterwards so emailed Tesco to say they didn't have 3+ days.

They have refunded the item, which I didn't ask for, but was pleased with. However they say the grapes were within the 3 day shelf life as the day of delivery does count as the first day. I feel that something purchased with 3+ days on 25th should be good 3 days later on 28th.

I've looked on their website and have found this Because we're choosing your shopping for you, we've given some items a product life logo. It shows you how long the product is likely to stay in peak condition. It could be anything from one day to a month. Remember, the product life also includes the day of delivery.

So if I buy something that says 2+ days I would not expect to have to finish it the next day. I appreciate some of the best before dates don't need to be eaten by that date, but some foods like tomatoes can be soft and unpleasant and some other foods, such as meat are 'use by' and I adhere to those dates.

I feel Tesco's website is misleading.

Comments

• tinkerbell28
    Options
    Be grateful. I had stuff delivered from there out of date on the day of delivery and I'm talking use by not best before.

I also had stuff delivered over 3 months out of date. That was my last shop.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They're grapes, surely you can tell whether they've gone off or not without looking at a date? Would you really throw them out because of a date on the packaging, even if they looked perfectly fine?

It's a best before date anyway, it's not a use by date and it's only a guideline as to when they will be at their optimum, not a date after which they are not safe to eat.

Makes you wonder how we all survived before they started slapping dates on everything under the sun.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I guess the dates are a clue to freshness. (in a loose way, given cold storage etc.)

Though they could always re-pack or such like, with a later date.
  • They're grapes, surely you can tell whether they've gone off or not without looking at a date? Would you really throw them out because of a date on the packaging, even if they looked perfectly fine?
    • I didn't throw any grapes out!
    • I didn't say they had even gone off!

I simply posted that I feel Tesco's online date indicators are misleading!!!
  • RosiPossum
    Options
    What's misleading?
    If you get something on the Monday with 3 days life, then you have Monday, Tues, Weds. I know if they go past their bbe date on the Weds it doesn't feel like three days, but it is.
    I don't think it's misleading, just a bit annoying (if that).
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    RosiPossum wrote: »
    What's misleading?
    If you get something on the Monday with 3 days life, then you have Monday, Tues, Weds. I know if they go past their bbe date on the Weds it doesn't feel like three days, but it is.
    I don't think it's misleading, just a bit annoying (if that).
    It might be delivered late in the day, I'd assume 3 days to be 72 hours.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Zandoni wrote: »

Thank you Zandoni

Exactly my point, thank you so much.

Joosing
  • Norma_Desmond
    Options
    That's soft fruit for you - whoever saw a picked strawberry that was fit to eat after 3 days?
    "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille...."
  • transient
    Options
    Thank you Zandoni

Exactly my point, thank you so much.

Joosing
    Don't be so silly.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options

Alternatively, it might be delivered at 8am.
    What are they going to do, have multiple batches of every different perishable item so they can choose different ones depending on what time of the day the order gets delivered?

Who do you think would end up paying for all of this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure