Ryanair Riga Security Charge not included in price. Can I get a refund?

Just done a weekend in Riga and on the way back was stopped at the airport and told I had to pay a 7 euro security charge. They gave me a leaflet that says that Ryanair was the only airline to not include the surcharge in their ticket price so it had to be paid direct to the airport. No pay, no fly. Just as well I had 7 euro left!

Ryanair don't mention this extra charge on their site and of course it means that their ticket price is misleading as whatever the price offered you will always pay an extra 7 euro. So not knowing this before you book means you can't do proper price comparisons between airlines. Also, Ryanair say they include taxes and surcharges in their prices or so I thought.

I contacted Ryanair who told me that they didn't agree with the surcharge and that I should contact the airport.
Can anyone suggest what I can do to get this money back.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    information about it on the Riga Airport website
    http://www.riga-airport.com/en/main/passengers/useful-information/aviation-security-requirements/security-charge

Looks like everyone needs to pay it and doubt you will be able to claim refund
  • The airport are the ones charging you, not Ryanair. Not Ryanair's responsibility.
  • Louisdf
    Louisdf Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The airport are the ones charging you, not Ryanair. Not Ryanair's responsibility.
    Yes but they need to inform you before you purchase the flight . There is no mention of it on the Ryanair site (for obvious reasons).
    Hypothetical example:
    Ryanair flights are £40
    Wizzair flights are £44
    most people would pick Ryanair but once you factor in the security charge Ryanair is no longer the cheapest.
  • Louisdf
    Louisdf Posts: 575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Example:
    wizzair:
    Wednesday
    16 Apr07:20 → 12:00£41.49WIZZ Discount Club£49.99

Ryanair
    Wed, Apr 1646.99
    GBP

FR264206:4511:2046.99

It's misleading to customers, as Wizzair already includes this charge in the headline price whereas Ryanair makes no mention of this on their website or during the booking price.
  • I am thinking the same as louisdf. This is about being open and honest and not concealing charges. I think Ryanair are misrepresenting the cost of their flights by hiding this charge.
    They imply that all taxes and charges are included so I think they should include this in their flight cost.
  • Check out the European Parliaments verdict on this.
    They deemed Ryanair are not in breach of anything as bizarre as that sounds...

Essentially Ryanair are not in breach as the fee is not necessary up front (despite not being avoidable).

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getAllAnswers.do?reference=E-2012-008587&language=EN
  • When we flew Emirates back from Trivandrum, there was an airport exit fee. 1000 Rupees,pp I think. Emirates wouldn't issue our boarding cards until we handed over the "paid" slip. That was business class too.
  • That's a good comment for perspective, budgetflyer.

Full service airlines seem to have issues as well - I'm uncomfortable still with Ryanair being the ONLY airline at Riga with that issue. (I'm assuming that Emirates are not the ONLY airline at Trivandrum who have that issue.)

I do absolutely understand how it could be misleading for the Riga case. To say ALL taxes and fees are covered is not correct as you can't fly without paying the security fee therefore it is unavoidable.

Very strange.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When we flew Emirates back from Trivandrum, there was an airport exit fee. 1000 Rupees,pp I think. Emirates wouldn't issue our boarding cards until we handed over the "paid" slip. That was business class too.

Not really comparable, since all passengers, no matter which airline they use, would face this fee. It is therefore irrelevant to the passenger deciding which airline offers best value for money.
  • On the Ryanair website, it's fair to assume that all Ryanair taxes and fees have been paid. The airport is nothing to do with Ryanair.

To give a better example, you drive to Tesco to find their shop is next to an NCP car park. Do you ask Tesco for a refund of your parking fees and to post a warning on their website? No. If however, NCP didn't advertise the fees, then that would be wrong.
    Ryanair pay the airport for their fees, you pay the airport for your fees. The airport website does need to tell you, Ryanair don't, as the airport are providing you with the service, Ryanair aren't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure