The Call of Cornwall

Options

Comments

• Danny5
    Danny5 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    A few 'luxuries' have now come off my bank balance and it doesn't look too healthy. Definitely need to watch what I'm spending on non essentials or the mortgage is going to still be lingering in 5 years!

Surveyor coming to value the house tomorrow so hopefully the new mortgage will be finalised in the next week or so. Is it wrong that I'm actually excited about starting the new one?! I think its frustrating me that I have the money for an overpayment but I can't pay it off!

Work is going ok so far this week. Had a few days on my new site. First 2 days were mainly pottering around waiting for things to be ready for me or materials to arrive, but then yesterday I had a really good day to more than make up for it! Today and tomorrow I'm on another site but again, waiting for materials/ nothings organised.. so I won't make any bonus. Hopefully things will start to improve the next few weeks. The only way this mortgage is going to get paid off is if I'm earning good money on a regular basis so it needs to!

Oh and I'm going in on Saturday to do a job where I'm on a set price so that's straight in the OP pot.
    Mortgage Start April 2007: £84,000 (28 Year Term)
    Mortgage Now:£3200 (3.55% LTV)
    Mortgage OPs Jan '16 - Dec '16 £12,000:£12,000 (100%)
    ISA Top Up To 20,000:£10,405 (52.03%)
    2017 - Pay off Mortgage Start Amount: Paid: Remaining
    £15,000:£11,800:£3,200 (21.3% remaining)
  • Danny5
    Options
    Finally finished for the weekend! What a loooong week.

Good Things This Week:

• Transferred £40 into the OP account (Bonus earned last week)
    • Worked today which will net me somewhere between £100-£150 after tax etc (to go straight into OP account)
    • Without actually sitting down and working it out, I reckon I've earned some good bonus this week, so hopefully next Friday (pay day) I'll have a few hundred quid to add to the OP account.
    • Surveyor came yesterday and although he didn't give much away to my Dad who met him here, I'm sure the valuation won't be lower than I put on the form. Hopefully this means the mortgage will move along now.
    Bad things this week

• Monday and Tuesday weren't as good as they should have been (earnings wise) through no fault of my own.:mad:
    • Spent too much over the last few weeks so my bank account is looking sick, this should improve from next week onwards as I'm going full on MFW mode!!:rotfl:

Things to do Next week

• Get wedding ring (Now divorced) and a couple of old silver chains valued & hopefully sold (does anybody know the best places to take these? Independent jewellers or the cash for Gold/Silver type places?)
    • Pick up Picture I had framed
    • Look at/ask about the possibility of going in to work on Saturdays regularly, maybe every other weekend when I haven't got my boy.
    I think that's about it.

Have a good weekend everyone!:beer:
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No idea about the gold sales. I've decided to keep mine and have it made into something else as there is quite a lump of gold in mine and plan to use it creatively when I'm MF!
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The gold and silver won't be worth more than their scrap value unless they're really unique/you're a secret millionaire and they came from a fancy boutique. Your best bet would just be to scout around and find which of the cash for gold people offers the most. Too lazy to check for you, but I'm sure MSE covered this topic at some point, there may be a guide?

Here you go :beer:
  • Danny5
    Options
    I've decided to get rid of anything to do with my disaster of a marriage Watty! I think its palladium and was around 250 - 300 quid originally. doubt the scrap value is very high.

Unfortunately not a secret millionaire Edinburgher (that I know of!) Thanks for the link, will check it out in a bit
  • Danny5
    Options
    Had a decent weekend MFW-wise. Earned money Saturday from working, and went out for dinner for my dads birthday yesterday and only spent £24 on 2 adults 1 kid, about a third of last weekend! That's the last meal out I'm going on for a while though, its ridiculously expensive when it becomes a regular habit (as it has been the last couple of months).

My £100 Amaz*n voucher arrived today in my Inbox from switching my broadband to EE, that's going to sort a few Crimbo prezzies out.

Works been quite good today, I've got a feeling this weeks going to be quite productive, even more so than last week! Also, my manager visited me on site and informed me that the managing director is going to put a 'spot bonus' in my wages either this week or next to reward me for hard work over the last month or so :D. Although he didn't know how much it will be, anything is better than nothing... straight into the OP fund!

Feeling like the MFW wagon is well and truly rolling and gaining more and more momentum over the past couple of weeks, just need to get this new blummin mortgage sorted!
  • Danny5
    Options
    Wages as good as they should have been as somebody has held some back for one reason or another (not particularly happy about it), and I wouldn't mind quite as much if they bothered to ring you and query it/ let you know instead of leaving it to be a nasty surprise when you open your wage slip! This week at work has been ok, and went in for a couple of hours this morning for a bit of extra bonus. Hoping the 'spot bonus' I was promised also comes to fruition and is paid next week.

Despite the money being docked, I've still moved another £115 into the overpayment account which now stands at £1230.

Mortgage still not sorted but my advisor says hopefully by the end of next week/ start of the week after we should be all set to go..

Have a good weekend peeps
  • Loopy28
    Loopy28 Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    I moved to Cornwall 10 years ago and love it.

I live in south east cornwall, house prices are pretty reasonable and I am close to the likes of Plymouth and Exeter so it is no issue to cross the border for a job and we both have had no issues with employment-we both travel to Plymouth for work but it is only 30 mins drive.

West and north cornwall have the nice beaches etc but not the jobs and these areas tend to have the higher house prices. The major roads are also a nightmare in the summer due to the holiday makers.

I like south east cornwall, as it is still close to a city (Plymouth) only takes 45 mins to Exeter, still has a rural feel and slower pace of living and is in easy drive distance to beaches. Plus as many of the towns in these areas aren't tourist attractions, this is actually nice as you don't get affected by the long traffic delays that they get in the summer further down.
  • JHH1982
    JHH1982 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Danny,

Well done on your determination and the OP (pot) so far :j

Hopefully with some patience and perseverance you will get your other half on board (or at least partially!) :p
    It's was a struggle with my DH but the crunch was showing him how much interest in ££ over the '25' years we pay and that if we OP (per my plan) he could buy one (or two!) expensive boys toys sports car with the funds! ( I never said I'd let him if course :rotfl:)
    He will never be as [STRIKE]anally retentive[/STRIKE] excited with the whole ££ MOP situation & ££ saving in general as me :o - but he's as committed as I'll ever get him to be :cool:

The Cornwall plan sounds fab & hopefully within reach someday soon if the OP's continue :T

Best Wishes
    JHH
    2014 - £264k - 25 Years - MF March 2039 :eek:
    MF Goal: Dec 2021 :A

Remember: "Live a good life. In the end it's not the years in the life, it's life in the years" - Abe Lincoln
  • Danny5
    Options
    Thanks Loopy! Its really nice to hear from someone who's made the move, where did you move from? I do love Hayle and the surrounding areas, but what you say about the South East makes a lot of sense. Its certainly something to think about. Are there any villages that you could recommend?

Hi JHH, I would love to think I'll get her on board but I am pretty much resigned to it being a solo mission! I've tried showing her how much we would save in interest, talked about all the things we could do or buy with the extra cash once we have paid it off, spoken about the security it will afford us... Nothing seems to work!

Todays been ok at work, although I'm still recovering from a heavy afternoon/ night out with friends on Saturday so productivity wasn't exactly high! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure