We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Dishwasher House Fire

Options
Hi guys,

My parents woke up to the sound of the fire alarm this morning at 7am. The house was full of smoke...they ran outside immediately, they could see that the fire was in the kitchen. My Dad did a fairly dangerous thing by breaking the kitchen window from the outside with a sledgehammer and using two extinguishers to put out the blaze from outside. If he hadn't done this, the house would almost certainly have burned to the ground.

The fire brigade's forensic investigation is focused on the dishwasher, which was almost certainly the source of the fire. It was actually in standby mode at the time, and not washing dishes. I did a search on the forums for dishwasher fires, and this seems unusual. The dishwasher was bought in the last year and is one of the new type two-drawer ones. The kitchen/dining room/living area is completely ruined and will need to be fully replaced, and there is smoke damage throughout the house. The insurance company are coming out on Tuesday to assess damage. It will likely be many months before my parents can return to living in the house.

I would be very grateful for any advice anyone might be able to offer here. They have full house and contents insurance. Should they be settling for the insurance money when offered or pursuing the manufacturer for compensation? Will they be reimbursed for accommodation until things are fixed? Should they be seeking compensation for distress and inconvenience?

Comments

• harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Claim whatever their policy allows from the insurance and let the insurance company pursue the dishwasher manufacturer if they wish. "Compensation for distress and inconvenience"? Go and find an ambulance chasing lawyer.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    brian33 wrote: »
    Will they be reimbursed for accommodation until things are fixed? Should they be seeking compensation for distress and inconvenience?

The accomodation issue all depends on the smallprint in the insurance policy but I would be very surprised to find that it didn't cover alternative accomodation if the house is unsafe or uninhabitable.

They may well be able to claim something for tasks such as having to get laundry done elsewhere or eating out but again, this all depends on the policy details but distress is an unquantifiable subject and it's extremely unlikely that it could be claimed for from the insurers.
  • brian33
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. So basically, everything should be sorted through insurance...I guess that makes things easy-ish.

Sorry if the distress/inconvenience thing was silly. It's just such a messed up situation and very upsetting for my parents, and that's before taking into account the time and energy that all of this will take to solve. If the manufacturer is responsible, it seems really crappy that my parents could have died because of this.

Apologies if that sounds a bit dramatic, but if it weren't for the smoke alarm, I would now be preparing for my parents' funeral.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As a matter of interest and for information if anyone else is considering buying one what make of dishwasher is it?
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    It would be worth checking here:
    http://www.recalluk.com/latest/product-recall.aspx
    to see if there has been a recall for the model in question.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should discuss the dishwasher issue with the fire brigade.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    brian33 wrote: »
    Apologies if that sounds a bit dramatic, but if it weren't for the smoke alarm, I would now be preparing for my parents' funeral.

This is why wise people have smoke alarms, to alert them to any fire as soon as it is detected so they can get out of the house or flat.

Be thankful that your parents were sensible enough to have a working smoke alarm, so many people don't have one or don't bother replacing a worn out battery.

I understand how very scary it must have been for them & yes, they are going to have to cope with a lot of stress in getting the place put to rights, but better a bit of stress than being burnt or harmed by smoke. Stress & inconvenience isn't something that the insurance company will pay for.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • societys_child
    Options
    Do the instructions say it should be left in "standby mode"?
  • brian33
    Options
    cajef wrote: »
    As a matter of interest and for information if anyone else is considering buying one what make of dishwasher is it?

I would prefer not to say until it's been officially recognised that their product was at fault.
  • brian33
    Options
    It would be worth checking here:
    //recall.....
    to see if there has been a recall for the model in question.

Thanks for that. No mention of it. I did Google that there was a recall in its native country, but it didn't make it as far as the UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport