Reallife MMD: Should I send wedding invites to family members who can't come?

Options
Money Moral Dilemma: Should I send wedding invites to family members who can't come?

We're getting married this year, but haven't sent the invitations yet. A few of my relatives say they can't come at such short notice, but my mum insists I still send them invitations. This means doubling the number of invites, and money's tight. The last thing I want is to upset people, but it feels a waste.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

If you have a real-life money MORAL dilemma, email [EMAIL="MMD@moneysavingexpert.com"]MMD@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• scarlet55
    scarlet55 Posts: 21,780 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Why would you send out invites to people who've already told you they won't be coming?
    A complete waste of money and I'd assume the recipients would be surprised to receive them too seeing as how they've already told you.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    When I married invitations were sent to overseas relatives although I obviously didn't expect them to come all that way but thought it nice to include them. They didn't know the date already though and the invites were sent out the traditional six weeks ahead. My future MIL was horrified as she thought I was only doing it to get presents which was never the intention at all.

I have also received an invitation to a wedding many miles away and was pleased to be asked although I was never going to go.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • NRTurner
    Options
    If you know they definitely won't be able to make it, don't send them an invite. No point in wasting money like that.

If they want to buy you a gift, then they will ask you for the details.
  • al223
    al223 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had a budget wedding where we just invited our friends and family via facebook. If they've already said they can't come maybe you could do something similar, just let them know they're welcome to come but that you've missed them off the invite list as they'd already said they couldn't make it.
  • florere
    florere Posts: 104 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2014 at 11:25PM
    Options
    How about sending them a hand written letter saying that you are sorry they can't come but if things change they are welcome to do so. I expect your mum thinks a proper invite would be a nice thing for them to put on the mantlepiece
  • Egypt191
    Options
    What about making your own invites for those that you know can't make it. They can be made quite cheaply on a budget, but look great.
    :)smile :)
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    If they have told you they can't come then why send an invite? it doesn't make sense.
    That aside, it's your wedding not your mother's so what she wants doesn't come into it.
  • Sazzie23
    Sazzie23 Posts: 2,634 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Post of the Month
    Options
    florere wrote: »
    How about sending them a hand written letter saying that you are sorry they can't come but if things change they are welcome to do so. I expect your mum thinks a proper invite would be a nice thing for them to put on the mantlepiece

Sounds like a good plan to me, includes them without pressuring them, would seem a bit mean to invite them if they said they couldn't come already.

Have a lovely wedding
    Debt -it's a fight that I'm winning, dealing with debt one day at a time.
    Estimated DFD August 2018 - 2031 - now 2027 :T

Guide dog Tess, missing Scotland 2 years

DMP support no438.
  • scoobydoobydoo
    Options
    No. Potentially very expensive!

They could receive the invites and than juggle things so that they could on the basis that if you invited them it must be important to you that they attend.

Tell your mum that yes, you will invite the B list but that she must cover the cost of a) the extra invitations and b) their meals/drinks etc if they then decide to attend. If she will then fine, (as long as you trust her to actually pay up) and if she wont then dont invite them!
  • scoobydoobydoo
    Options
    Or tell your mum no on the basis that your numbers are limited by the venue so you cant risk anyone changing their mind!

I know it is a lie but frankly with weddings some people get a bit mad. When ex and I got married my MIL2B insisted we invited a list of distant relatives as long as your arm. Ex hadnt met half of them but she was insisting. Then one of the relatives (her great neice I think) got married and she, FIL2B, ex etc were not invited. That was it then, she struck them all off her list and when we refused to invite the remainder she didnt say a word :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure