Do I need a Solicitor For Non-Receipt of Goods?

Options

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JWhite wrote: »
    ...I am saying is that a lot of the info specifically refers to services and goods purchased with a credit card...
    None of the information in that Chargeback document specifically refers to credit cards except a few words mentioning the difference between Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act and chargeback schemes.
    ...and does not specify the difference between Chargeback with Credit Cards and Debit Cards which I have now been told by Santander is different...
    Chargeback certainly is not different with Credit Cards and Debit Cards.
    ...as the insurance levels are quite different and debit card payments may not always be refunded or at least if they are the level of cover is quite significantly different...
    No insurance is involved either with chargeback schemes or using Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

There are differences between Section 75 of CCA and chargeback... Section 75 is enshrined in law for one thing whereas chargeback is is a contractual arrangement between you and your card issuer.
    These differences are explained in the article.
    ...plus there is no legal requirement for a bank to refund debit card charges.
    There may be no statutory requirement for chargeback, but that is the same for debit cards and credit cards.
    Remember, you must make a purchase over £100 to take advantage of Section 75.
    ...Also it makes no reference to companies that have gone out of business (at least none I could see ).
    Are you sure you have read the right document?

Under the heading What chargeback can be used for? it says:
    Some possible reasons for claiming a chargeback are:
    Company goes into administration — the company you purchased from has gone bust.
    ...Apologies if I am missing something :(
    That's ok... happy to help.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 February 2014 at 6:58PM
    Options
    You may well be right but when I tried to phone the Santander no which was highlighted with the Skype logo, it rang unobtainable, but might have been a blip I guess. Nevertheless as has been said the number has not changed so when I emailed the door company the number turned out to be the same but I fail to see how I "enabled" it and therefore do not know how to "disable" it.

You have managed to enable Skype Click-to-call.

Assuming you use Internet Explorer as your browser. Go to 'Tools', scroll down and select 'Manage Add-ons'. Scroll down until you find Skype Click-To-Call. Select it and then press the button saying 'disable'.

If you can't manage that then go and find the nearest 8 year old to do it for you.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You may well be right but when I tried to phone the Santander no which was highlighted with the Skype logo, it rang unobtainable, but might have been a blip I guess.

Have you tried to use the alternative national number that I gave you. Or any of the numbers listed on saynoto0870.com? You seem to be making the Himalayas out of a molehill on this call.
  • Leodogger
    Leodogger Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    You have managed to enable Skype Click-to-call.

Assuming you use Internet Explorer as your browser. Go to 'Tools', scroll down and select 'Manage Add-ons'. Scroll down until you find Skype Click-To-Call. Select it and then press the button saying 'disable'.

If you can't manage that then go and find the nearest 8 year old to do it for you.

That is quite a condescending and sarcastic thing to say the least. I am not stupid just because I may have accidentally pressed a button. So you never make mistakes then ?
  • Leodogger
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Have you tried to use the alternative national number that I gave you. Or any of the numbers listed on saynoto0870.com? You seem to be making the Himalayas out of a molehill on this call.

I think I was quite clear in my postings, I did say I had contacted Santander and they have now sorted it for me. thanks.
  • Leodogger
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    None of the information in that Chargeback document specifically refers to credit cards except a few words mentioning the difference between Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act and chargeback schemes.

Chargeback certainly is not different with Credit Cards and Debit Cards.

No insurance is involved either with chargeback schemes or using Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

There are differences between Section 75 of CCA and chargeback... Section 75 is enshrined in law for one thing whereas chargeback is is a contractual arrangement between you and your card issuer.
    These differences are explained in the article.

There may be no statutory requirement for chargeback, but that is the same for debit cards and credit cards.
    Remember, you must make a purchase over £100 to take advantage of Section 75.

Are you sure you have read the right document?

Under the heading What chargeback can be used for? it says:

That's ok... happy to help.

"No insurance is involved either with chargeback schemes or using Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act."

Actually, it was Santander themselves who told me that the insurance cover level for card payments is quite different for Debit Cards and Credit Cards, so I am just repeating what they said.
  • LilElvis
    edited 17 February 2014 at 7:25PM
    Options
    That is quite a condescending and sarcastic thing to say the least. I am not stupid just because I may have accidentally pressed a button. So you never make mistakes then ?

You are right, and I apologise.

Another poster had pointed out that the 'Skype issue' was being caused by a plug-in, but you ignored it and just continued to complain.

As I have both provided you with a remedy and an apology perhaps you could thank me in return. :)

You might want to rethink the 'paying by cash' for the door though - you've made 2 mistakes already and we would hate for you to make a 3rd.
  • Leodogger
    Options

Another poster had pointed out that the 'Skype issue' was being caused by a plug-in, but you ignored it and just continued to complain.

As I have both provided you with a remedy and an apology perhaps you could thank me in return. :)

You might want to rethink the 'paying by cash' for the door though - you've made 2 mistakes already and we would hate for you to make a 3rd.

Apology accepted. I am in a bit of a stressful state at the moment, we have moved house and we seem to be having one disaster after another which probably explains why I continued complaining about Skype after the plug in problem was pointed out to me.

As for paying by cash, it is the only option I have been offered (and only because they have one of their own drivers to deliver the doors rather than using a courier in which case they would only accept Paypal) after looking at numerous sites that either don't have the doors I want or only offer a payment method using Debit Card or Paypal which I won't risk again. If they deliver the doors we have the option of checking them all over to make sure they are not warped or damaged so payment will only be made if we think the doors are good quality.
  • Leodogger
    Options

By the way, found my "Skype" add on Click to Call and now deleted it.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I am now going to take a stress relief pill, or rather get myself a large drink :D
  • LilElvis
    Options
    By the way, found my "Skype" add on Click to Call and now deleted it.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I am now going to take a stress relief pill, or rather get myself a large drink :D

Excellent!

Hope the new doors are OK, and likewise the large drink :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family