Do I need a Solicitor For Non-Receipt of Goods?

Options

Comments

• Leodogger
    Leodogger Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am now looking for another door company who can supply the type of doors we need and found one with yet another "Skype" contact number.

What is this rubbish with having to use Skype to contact a company. You have to have a Skype account and pay them to use their service. Why should I or anyone do this, I specifically have a phone package with free calls to 0845 and 0870 nos. as well as all local national nos, why should I then pay to use Skype? Don't these companies want business from the public ? This is just another shutter put up to customers who want to chase them up for delivery. Do these companies receive back handers from Skype to use their service? It would explain a lot !:mad:
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    This'll be all to do with your web browser having the Skype plugin installed (enabling YOU to use Skype if you wish), and NOT anything to do with these companies using Skype. ;)
  • Leodogger
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    I really cannot understand the bit where you say "obviously it does not go into detail on the Chargeback document about Debit Cards used to pay for goods".

That is what the whole chargeback document is all about.

Ok, there is a small part that does mention Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act and credit cards, but everything else is all about chargeback schemes which apply equally and in exactly the same manner for both debit and credit cards.

You ask has anyone else used the process.
    Now I'm beginning to wonder if you are even looking at the right document.
    In the MSE Chargeback document there are examples:

I read this document in detail but it only has the logos at the top of 3 cards that can be used to purchase goods and services including the debit card but what I am saying is that a lot of the info specifically refers to services and goods purchased with a credit card and does not specify the difference between Chargeback with Credit Cards and Debit Cards which I have now been told by Santander is different as the insurance levels are quite different and debit card payments may not always be refunded or at least if they are the level of cover is quite significantly different, plus there is no legal requirement for a bank to refund debit card charges. Also it makes no reference to companies that have gone out of business (at least none I could see ).

Apologies if I am missing something :(
  • Leodogger
    Options
    bod1467 wrote: »
    This'll be all to do with your web browser having the Skype plugin installed (enabling YOU to use Skype if you wish), and NOT anything to do with these companies using Skype. ;)

Are you saying that when I look up a website it magically changes a landline No. or 0845 no for a company on a web site into a Skype Telephone Number just because I once used Skype (when it was free) some 3 or 4 yrs ago? If this is the case, why does the Skype number not come up on all web sites for goods that I access ?

If this is the case I can quite easily get rid of it. I have emailed the company concerned and asked them for their landline number, otherwise I am not interested in using them. I have been ripped off already by a company who refused to communicate with me (failed to ring me at all!) and so I don't want to deal with another company putting obstacles in my way to contact them.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    Can you post a link to the second site you mentioned (that apparently uses Skype)?
  • Leodogger
    Options
    As an update, I have found another company locally who can supply my doors. When I placed the order as instructed by them "online", I was asked by the site to pay by Paypal or "Direct Bank Transfer" which I did not understand, but as I had read somewhere that someone had used Paypal and come unstuck when they didn't receive the goods, I decided to go for "direct bank transfer" which I thought they would ask me for my bank details and I could use a credit card. It didn't but just stated that the "Order was placed". So I rang the company who said that actually they only take payments through Paypal. At this point I decided not to bother and put the phone down. A few minutes later the company rang and offered a "cash on delivery" after I had explained what happened to me before and feeling sorry for me, they said they had a local driver who could take cash on delivery after I had inspected the doors and signed for them. So a result at last, at least I will get my doors before they get the cash this time ;)

By the way, I did ask them about the "Skype" telephone number appearing on their web site, seemingly to replace the landline number and they knew nothing about it and had never used Skype themselves. I can only assume that as mentioned previously, the Skype software on my computer is somehow deviously replacing telephone numbers on web sites I am viewing which I must say doesn't help the business of the companies concerned because I have no intention of dealing with any companies where Skype is the only means of communication with the companies concerned.

In fact, isn't this illegal as these web sites pay to display their goods on the internet don't they ?
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JWhite wrote: »
    As an update, I have found another company locally who can supply my doors. When I placed the order as instructed by them "online", I was asked by the site to pay by Paypal or "Direct Bank Transfer" which I did not understand, but as I had read somewhere that someone had used Paypal and come unstuck when they didn't receive the goods, I decided to go for "direct bank transfer" which I thought they would ask me for my bank details and I could use a credit card. It didn't but just stated that the "Order was placed". So I rang the company who said that actually they only take payments through Paypal. At this point I decided not to bother and put the phone down. A few minutes later the company rang and offered a "cash on delivery" after I had explained what happened to me before and feeling sorry for me, they said they had a local driver who could take cash on delivery after I had inspected the doors and signed for them. So a result at last, at least I will get my doors before they get the cash this time ;)

By the way, I did ask them about the "Skype" telephone number appearing on their web site, seemingly to replace the landline number and they knew nothing about it and had never used Skype themselves. I can only assume that as mentioned previously, the Skype software on my computer is somehow deviously replacing telephone numbers on web sites I am viewing which I must say doesn't help the business of the companies concerned because I have no intention of dealing with any companies where Skype is the only means of communication with the companies concerned.

In fact, isn't this illegal as these web sites pay to display their goods on the internet don't they ?

I think you have got yourself a bit confused with the Skype thing. It won't be 'deviously replacing' phone numbers, it will be inserting a little Skype click box next to the (unchanged) number so that you can, if you wish, press it and launch Skype to make the call from your computer/tablet. As Skype makes calls over the internet it could well be free or cheaper than making the call from a telephone (depending on your broadband package). There is nothing at all stopping you from picking up the phone and calling the number as usual. It is something you have managed to accidentally enable in your web browser and, therefore, something you can disable/remove.

As for the replacement doors - have you not learned your lesson? Pay by cash and if you find out later that there is an issue with the doors it will likely prove almost impossible to receive any remedy.
  • WTFH
    WTFH Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Options
    JWhite, it's not them, it's YOU. Your computer is putting the Skype symbol in front. It is not changing the phone number, it is not doing anything illegal. You have installed skyoe on your computer and the skyoe on your computer is now highlighting phone numbers allowing you to call them using skype. It's not the business you should be blaming, the software on your computer is trying to help you!
    1. Have you tried to Google the answer?
    2. If you were in the other person's shoes, how would you react?
    3. Do you want a quick answer or better understanding?
  • Leodogger
    Options
    WTFH wrote: »
    JWhite, it's not them, it's YOU. Your computer is putting the Skype symbol in front. It is not changing the phone number, it is not doing anything illegal. You have installed skyoe on your computer and the skyoe on your computer is now highlighting phone numbers allowing you to call them using skype. It's not the business you should be blaming, the software on your computer is trying to help you!

You may well be right but when I tried to phone the Santander no which was highlighted with the Skype logo, it rang unobtainable, but might have been a blip I guess. Nevertheless as has been said the number has not changed so when I emailed the door company the number turned out to be the same but I fail to see how I "enabled" it and therefore do not know how to "disable" it.

I have paid cash for the doors as we can inspect them before signing for delivery. If I had used Paypal, according to one poster I read about, you can't get your money back in some instances and I was not willing to take the chance again of not getting them. At least paying cash i will definitely get the doors and as it is a local company, I can go into their offices if there is a problem.
  • cookie365
    cookie365 Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    Options
    Put aside your obsession with Skype. Just focus on the doors.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure