Do I need a Solicitor For Non-Receipt of Goods?

Options
Hi there

We have paid for 5 doors on a debit card (silly I know but I had used the company previously, last year, and received the doors promptly so had no reason not to trust them.

After 11 weeks we have still not received the doors and although I have been made numerous promises, I have now been trying to contact them for 3 working days after again not receiving my doors after being promised they would arrive 2 weeks ago and again last Friday and I cannot contact them, none of the lines are answering. I have a feeling they may have shut up shop but as I paid by direct debit, I have contacted Santander to see what they can do. I received a reply back to ring a number they gave me which turns out to be a Skype No ????? I do not use Skype so have no credit with them which i feel is a stupid idea. Anything to stop people contacting them I guess, just another indication of how bad customer seervice is with Santander.

Do I need to contact a solicitor first or what is my first action to take ?

TIA :o

Comments

• WTFH
    WTFH Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Options
    What is the number Santander gave you?
    1. Have you tried to Google the answer?
    2. If you were in the other person's shoes, how would you react?
    3. Do you want a quick answer or better understanding?
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You say you paid by debit card then by direct debit. Which is it? If the former then initiate a chargeback with your bank.

No you don't need a solicitor or any other legal representative to take action.

Are they a limited company or sole trader?
    Have you contacted neighboring shops to ask if they are still there?
  • Leodogger
    Leodogger Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    You say you paid by debit card then by direct debit. Which is it? If the former then initiate a chargeback with your bank.

No you don't need a solicitor or any other legal representative to take action.

Are they a limited company or sole trader?
    Have you contacted neighboring shops to ask if they are still there?

Sorry, I meant debit card ! I have received a letter in the last hour to say that unfortunately they have ceased trading from 15/2/14 due to lack of financial support. So basically they lied to me right up to last Thursday as they must have known they were going bust. My problem now is can I find any way to reclaim my money, we paid them £363 :mad: By the way they are a limited company.
  • Leodogger
    Options
    WTFH wrote: »
    What is the number Santander gave you?

It is 0845 972 4724 and it is definitely a Skype No. is has an "S" logo in front of it and when I tried to ring it, it was a dead line.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 February 2014 at 2:04PM
    Options
    1) Read the MSE Chargeback guide http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

2) Call Santander again and ask them to do a Chargeback for non-delivery. If they give you the same number as before to call then query it with them, it's highly unlikely that they would be expecting you to use Skype!

PS That is definitely NOT a Skype number, it's the Santander "Card transaction queries" number and sounds to me like it is the one you should call, or use 01908 237963 which should get you to the same place.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you read http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

Santander is down for the money. Go back to where you got the number from and get the correct number
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    Can Santander do a charge back if the account has been closed, or has no funds?
    I have never heard of a bank being liable for the debts of a failed company.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bantex wrote: »
    Can Santander do a charge back if the account has been closed, or has no funds?

Yes.

Time for you to read that MSE Chargeback document linked to earlier. :D

In there you will find:
    Importantly, as it's asking for money back from the supplier's bank, not the supplier itself, the money should come back even if the retailer has gone bust — though this isn't guaranteed. If a transaction hasn't been completed properly, the onus is on your bank to get the money back and you should get a refund.
  • Leodogger
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Yes.

Time for you to read that MSE Chargeback document linked to earlier. :D

In there you will find:

Have read both these links and it does explain mostly your rights although obviously it does not go into detail on the Chargeback document about Debit Cards used to pay for goods.

However, I have now contacted Santander and they have told me there is a process for Visa Debit cards, though the insurance cover on these is not so high as credit cards but there is a chance we might be able to recover some of our money. They are going to send me a form and I have to provide all the info, communication process, goods ordered and dates when delivery was promised plus a copy of the letter I received telling me they have gone bust. Then they will carry out an investigative process and let me know what I might expect to receive and how long it takes.

Has anyone else used this process I wonder and been successful from a Debit Card Process ? I have learned my lesson and now will be paying for everything using a credit card in future. :(
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JWhite wrote: »
    Have read both these links and it does explain mostly your rights although obviously it does not go into detail on the Chargeback document about Debit Cards used to pay for goods.

However, I have now contacted Santander and they have told me there is a process for Visa Debit cards, though the insurance cover on these is not so high as credit cards but there is a chance we might be able to recover some of our money. They are going to send me a form and I have to provide all the info, communication process, goods ordered and dates when delivery was promised plus a copy of the letter I received telling me they have gone bust. Then they will carry out an investigative process and let me know what I might expect to receive and how long it takes.

Has anyone else used this process I wonder and been successful from a Debit Card Process ? I have learned my lesson and now will be paying for everything using a credit card in future. :(

I really cannot understand the bit where you say "obviously it does not go into detail on the Chargeback document about Debit Cards used to pay for goods".

That is what the whole chargeback document is all about.

Ok, there is a small part that does mention Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act and credit cards, but everything else is all about chargeback schemes which apply equally and in exactly the same manner for both debit and credit cards.

You ask has anyone else used the process.
    Now I'm beginning to wonder if you are even looking at the right document.
    In the MSE Chargeback document there are examples:
    CHARGEBACK SUCCESSES...

I used the template letter to claim some charges from Moben after it went into administration and left us with two missing doors and without having the magic corner and the plinths fitted. We bought doors ourselves and arranged for a carpenter to fit them and the corner & plinths.

I modified the template letter, sent it to my bank along with the bill from our carpenter for about £600, and have just discovered a credit in my account from the card disputes for £800. Great result for us!

I read about Visa Chargeback on your web site. I'd never heard of it and no one else I know has either. I downloaded a letter to my bank and today received a full refund under the chargeback scheme in relation to the Globespan collapse. Everywhere else I looked I was told to 'forget it as I had lost my money'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure