🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Refused Credit Card?

Options
Following doing an Experian credit check and getting an Excellent credit rating, I tried to do a balance transfer, done the quick checker and was told I had an 80% chance of getting the card. So I have filled in the details and been REFUSED?!

I don't understand why? Could some advise?

Comments

• CherlokHomes
    Options
    Individual credit scores don't exist, so whoever gave you this score please ignore it as it's probably the likes of experian fishing out the gullible with their worthless number scam.

Check your credit files and look for anything on there like high debts missed/late payments, electoral roll etc
    "You know when it's cold outside when you go outside and it's cold"
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't understand why? Could some advise?

Experian don't give credit cards.
    All they've done is rip you off for a number which isn't used by anyone giving you a credit card.

Check your credit reports.
    Free from
    https://www.noddle.co.uk

See if there are any errors.
    Are you on the electoral role.
    Any late payments, maxxed out on debt, do you have good credit history.
    If you give some details then people here will help.

Could be that your not on the register, no history, too much debt or late payment markers etc.
  • onewhoasks
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry to hear that - I know how it feels as I was refused once despite a very clean credit history. My credit report was clean but I found I was not on the electoral roll and immediately fixed that. The next time I applied for the same card, the application was successful. Nothing else had changed except adding myself to the electoral roll.
  • dotdash79
    dotdash79 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    Options
    80% chance means from what information they gained from you 80 in 100 people were accepted for this card, or 4 out of 5 people.
  • yangptangkipperbang
    Options
    dotdash79 wrote: »
    80% chance means from what information they gained from you 80 in 100 people were accepted for this card

.............. and you were one of the other 20............
  • Bowes100
    Options
    I understand that - however why am I that 20?

I'm defininatly on the electrole role, as I live alone and I fill the yearly form in, as well as paying the council tax bill.

The experian check I did showed I paid everything and I had no issues with late payments etc, although I did have an ex attached to my finacial associations (I'm aware a debt collector is after him) and I have removed him from my file. I really cant see where else a problem could be?
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    There could be any number of reasons why you were declined.
    it would be impossible for any one to give you the exact reason.

is the Electoral Roll showing on your experian report ?
    have you checked the other 2 reports (Equifax, CallCredit) ?

If you have no adverse credit history, a few reasons could be
    your affordability (current credit vs income)
    your credit utilisation
    lack of credit history.

so what credit to do currently have, what are the limits, and how much is used ?
    and what is your income ?
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You ex could be a problem for your credit rating. You can ask us to break the link between you both using our online financial connections questionnaire.

James J
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Bowes100
    Options
    Hi James

I have already done that :) Thank you. Will try noodle
  • parksajj
    parksajj Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Noddle much clearer than experian!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories