Real-life MMD: Can I ask guests to bring a bottle?

Options
12346»

Comments

• luciandan
    Options
    If your housewarming is anything more than a "dips and crisps party" then DON'T ask your guests to bring a bottle. Put the same finesse into your approach to invitations as to the way you host.

Here's the deal: buy at least 1 bottle of wine per person (stretch to 1.5 if you can) of which at least 75% should be white. You could substitute the 0.5 for bubbles. Spend about a fiver on the bottles. Buy enough beer for a third of the group. I can't bring myself to buy fizzy drinks, but you might want some orange, coke etc.

Then relax! People will bring drinks with them anyway, nobody needs to feel uncomfortable if they haven't brought anything and everyone will remember what a great host you are. Moreover, if people don't feel compelled to bring a drink they'll be more likely to bring a lovely housewarming present that will remain with you for far longer than a bottle of wine!

Good luck with the party. I'm sure it will be great fun.
  • tallgirld
    Options
    I have invited people around loads of times and I have NEVER requested that they bring a bottle. The interesting thing is most of them do bring a bottle. If someone is hosting a party then they should host it and provide everthing. Food, drink, and snacks.

This idea of inviting people to your property then telling them what to bring is a bit of a cheek. Supposing someone can not afford to bring anything does that mean they should stay away? What would you say if someone turned up with nothing?

I would always bring a bottle when I am invited to someone's house but whenever I have seen an invite with " bring a bottle" I do not turn up!

I never forget going to a party and handing in a bottle of Couvoisier as that is what I drink. When I was offered a drink by the host I requested a brandy and coke. On tasting the drink to my horror it was not even Couvoisier it was some cheap brand I think it was E&J. I couldn't even drink it!! The cheap host had obviously parked my decent bottle and decided that I should drink the rubbish version!!

Anyway I have gone a bit of track but my advice would be only invite the amount of guests that you can afford to provide for.
  • Sulevia
    Sulevia Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    In my partying days (70's and 80's) all the invites ended with the letters PBAB (please bring a bottle). The host would normally provide a few basic starter bottles and some soft drinks, so that the first guests weren't plonking their plonk onto an empty table.
  • blastarhymes
    Options
    +1 on the BYOB.....you get to keep all the leftovers in return for having to tyde up your house :)
  • ljd706
    ljd706 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Just buy soft drinks/mixers and ask people to bring what they like to drink - otherwise you end up buying a wide range of drinks to suit all tastes and only some will get drunk. In my experience I generally end up with more drink at the end of the party than when I started - that then carries forward to the next one and so on!
    As it's a housewarming people will be more than willing to bring a bottle if asked - it's cheaper and easier than trying to think of something for your new house and leaves you with less tat/"comedy" presents at the end of the night
  • maiasopohie
    Options
    Haven't read any replies yet but...in my day. (25yrs ago , sad ) you went to a party & took a bottle or two! It was standard... A !!!!-up!
  • maiasopohie
    Options
    Apparently I'm not allowed to say a "p&@&££)up partaaaay but yes, everyone brings a bottle! All u need to do is a few nibbles... All they want to do is get p@&&££sed & maybe chat up a few girls!
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    The answer is 'yes' you can ask them to bring a bottle,personally i wouldn't and here's why.
    Moving into a new area/street i would like to start things off with my new neighbours on a positive note and not seem like a skinflint.When you go to peoples houses to invite them,which is the best way,ask them what they drink and any special dietry requests.If they say about bringing something then great but don't ask.This is a good way to break the ice and get to know all those your going to invite,plus your not going to buy too much of something that none of them touch.I bet most of those attending will bring something,it's just the right thing to do.Do a good job on this and you could have years of happy relaxing times with your new neighbours.
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    In the 70's a Bring-a-Bottle party was the norm. No-one (except older people throwing a posh barbecue) expected to fund the drinks themselves. What a shame if that's changed. But then that was also the era of the Party 7 and Blue Nun, and the height of sophistication was Chianti in a wickerwork cover !!
    On a side note, we've always thrown a house-cooling party, saying goodbye to all the neighbours, and the house is already tidy because you're moving !!
    To troubleonline, 2 sorts of lasagne seems to work fine, the veggie one in different coloured layers (like mushroom, peppers, spinach, + the cheese sauce), plus garlic & non-garlic bread.
    If you're asking friends, surely some of them will ask what can they bring, in which case you can ask for no presents but desserts instead. I've never known a party have too many desserts - they always vanish, and even a quick supermarket selection at the last minute these days will be decent quality.
  • norfolkmum
    Options
    Of course you can ask them to bring their own drink! We have just had my daughter's 18th birthday party. We held it in the village hall and about 100 people came. There is no way I could have afforded to buy alcohol for 100 people. We put clearly on the invitations bring your own drink and everyone did. I provided food (lots of it) and soft drinks and everybody just brought along what they wanted to drink. I was a bit nervous about doing this, but everyone said what a good idea it was, and other people planning parties in the future are going to do the same thing. Everyone had exactly what they wanted to drink, and the amount they wanted to drink, and it was a fantastic party. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure